elements 6

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
claysand

Postby claysand » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:07 am

For more info on this bundle look at discussions at muvipix.com. There are several there who were beta testers for the video part and are not too impressed with the product as released so far. Not sure about the photoshop part of the bundle.

BethS

Postby BethS » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks Clayton.

I passed on the bundle. am still waiting for the upgrade to arrive. Hope it's good.

billharden

Elements 6

Postby billharden » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Hi Beth,
When you get your new software, look to see if you get free tutorial time at Lynda.com. The last adobe product I bougt offerd free 30 days. Lynda has a 15 hour course on Elements 5 which should apply to version 6 too. Follow this link http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modL ... asp?pid=77
I noticed Costo has V 6 for $79.00 with some bonus software from OnOne.
Have fun.
Billy

BethS

Postby BethS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:46 am

They don't have 6 yet but I am going to look at the basic elements one. I got my freeupgrade yesterday and I don't know if I like it very much. The adobe demos are terrible as they are just overviews. I think I am going to re install 5 for a while. I was getting used to it.

Thanks for the link. I will keep an eye open for the tutorial.

Beth

billharden

Elements 6

Postby billharden » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:53 am

Hi Beth,
It's funny the way Elements has progressed. Version 3 was very good. Version 4 was a bomb that slowed computers down and turned out to be unpopular. I have heard a lot of good things about 5 and after viewing a few of the five tutorials on Lynda, I was very impressed with it's capabilities. I have CS2 and 3 but have been trouble understanding some of the masking, and channel concepts. Sometimes going to a simpler versions tutorials helps my old light bulb to burn. I think these software manufacturers throw stuff at us just before the holidays ready or not. I noticed that Adobe does not have a 30 day trial version of Elements 6 offered on their free download site. Reviewers are left in the cold. Maybe there is reason?
Billy

billharden

Elements 6 and tutorials

Postby billharden » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:09 am

Oh BTW,
I have become addicted to the tutorials at Lynda.com. I am getting ready to move, and was putting things in storage. I filled three boxes with Photoshop books. Well over a thousand dollars worth. I still don't get a lot of the concepts. I find it hard to sit in front of a computer with a book in my hand. Finally after receiving a free trial to Lynda, and some advise from Jan here on the forum, I started watching the Lynda tutorials. In one months time , things really have started to click. I got hooked. I'm going to donate my books to the library, and I'm buying any more.
Lynda is only 25 bucks a month, and the average computer book is 35. I'm slow to learn, but for me it's a no-brainer.
My thoughts.
Bill Harden

Cricket

Postby Cricket » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:33 pm

Interesting to read about the PSE upgrades. I am still using v. 4.0 which is what I started out with.
I really don't know much about the other versions, although have been trying out techniques in a book geared to 5.0 and have been able to use many of the tips with my version. I'm not an advanced user but have been making good progress in my own slow way. I'm interested in upgrading but am wondering if I should go to v. 6 or would a step up to v. 5 be enough for my limited use?

BethS

Postby BethS » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:23 am

IMHO.....I don't care for 6 yet. 5 seems easier to work with. 6 has more graphics to choose from. I suppose if you skip 5 and move to 6 you won't miss 5 like I did. I went back to it almost immediately. I got 6 as a free upgrade so I did not waste any money.

Beth

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:29 am

Heck, I still use Elements 2.0. I only use 5 when there is something 2 won't do.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Photoshop Elements 5: The Missing Manual By Barbara Brundage

Postby rcsteimer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Beth,

Below is a book that I recomend for elements 5 ...as you are aware, the boxed software provides little documentation.

Photoshop Elements 5: The Missing Manual By Barbara Brundage
"The book that should have been in the box"

My guess is that a updateed version will be out shortly for elements 6.

Also, there is a website http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com that contains usefull information on Elements.

Bob[/url]

Esteemed Member

Postby pwholmes » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:06 pm

I took Bill Harden's suggestion and visited Lynda.com and liked what I saw. The funny thing is I love to use Picasa to organize and do basic edits with my photos and there's a whole set of tutorials on an earlier version of Picasa that have really expanded my mind on things to do with it.

The Photoshop Element 5 tutorials look outstanding and I'll be going through the 13 hour course on that with Deke McClelland.

So, thanks for the suggestion, Bill. Actually I was kind of in the process of trying to center in on one editing program (with Picasa) as the organizer. I can't even begin to budget for Photoshop, but I have Elements 5 and I'm convinced from what I've seen of Deke McClelland's tutorials that that's all I'll need to make those extra special edits when Picasa isn't enough.

Paul Holmes

Valued Member

Got rid of it after 40 mins of trial period

Postby Sigrid » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:33 am

is all I can report of my time with Elements 6.
Its horrid looking GUI was enough for me to say - no way.

Geo

Postby Geo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:14 am

Hey all,

I decided on jumping back into the Adobe ring after several previews of editors. I have not used PShop since it used to be bundled with hardware.....wow, so long ago. Even with the large learning curve, PSE seems like a good choice for basic and advanced features. I previewed PSE5, and purchased PSE6. The interface is a little flashy for me, but oh well. I do like the advancement of the clone tool and previewing they changed.

Anyway the point of the post was to check out some of the free tutorials at

[/url]http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/[url]

Also the forum section is similar to this one, especially the member tutorials. I think I will jump int he layers class for something like $25. Anyone that has done a class I'd love to hear an opinion.

Stay Safe,

geo[/url]

Previous

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications