Stylepack tutorial

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Gold only. Provide a link if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
entanik

Stylepack tutorial

Postby entanik » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:02 am

Hello all;

Is there a step-by-step tutorial somewhere that helps a novice get started with using Photodex Stylepacks?

Re: Stylepack tutorial

Postby texan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:34 am

Unfortunately NO.....Many styles are well behaved and all you have to is drop in photos to various layers.

But as you are probably discovering many are not quite that easy to configure.

Some of the "developers" of style packs give you some info; but most don't give you any instructions.........

Jennifer at Choice Backgrounds stands out as the best supplier of tutorials with all or most of her styles.

There are 100's of styles out there......save yourself some time and unless you REALLY want a certain style;
delete those that don't behave properly........You'll save yourself lots of time and frustration.
Last edited by texan on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texan

entanik

Postby entanik » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:49 am

texan wrote:Unfortunately NO.....Many styles are well behaved and all you have to is drop in photos to various layers.

Thanks Texan. Your statement above is a clue by itself. I should start learning about layers, and dropping photos in them. Like I said, I am a complete novice.

Is there a Layer tutorial?

Postby JLAA » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:06 am

One thing you can try is do a forum search for "layers" and start wading through the results - you might get a headache and/or find some information that will help you.

entanik

Postby entanik » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:33 am

JLAA wrote:One thing you can try is do a forum search for "layers" and start wading through the results - you might get a headache and/or find some information that will help you.

I just did that. From what I understood, Layers allow for the use of multiple images within one slide. Am I correct in assuming the use of layers and creative manipulation of each image within the slide is the foundation for Styles, like those found in Photodex Style Packs?

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:55 am

There is adequate info in the forum archives. Review the different forum sections, tutorials, producer template section (which also includes some info on styles applicable to Gold) member created files, etc. It would take a long time to exhaust these sources before you would need anything more. Take the time to read and apply all that and you should be an expert!

I've said it before in relation to templates (a Producer feature). They are not a one-size-fit-all kind of thing. This holds true also with styles. They will often need some adjustment for each application. Nothing is instantly easy. It takes time to get familiar with the basic workings of the software to know how to adjust and tweak things. The ability to tweak styles and templates is not a beginners task and simply applying a style or template is not necessarily a short cut if the user doesn't know how to tweak settings.

If you don't understand layers yet, you must back up and get a grasp on the basics first.

This is not any fault of Photodex. ProShow is a robust and feature filled piece of software that will take you a while to familiarize yourself with all the tools you have to work with.

You can also try a search in archives using the word "style". Maybe that will get you closer to what you're looking for in relation to a specific style and adjustments, etc. Unfortunately, the search engine in the forum doesn't always work the way it seems like it should. But it really sounds like you need to get familiar with layer concepts first.

This is not at all a criticism, just meant to help. :)
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

entanik

Postby entanik » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 am

debngar wrote: The ability to tweak styles and templates is not a beginners task and simply applying a style or template is not necessarily a short cut if the user doesn't know how to tweak settings.

Well, I assumed using Styles is kind of a shortcut. My bad.

debngar wrote:But it really sounds like you need to get familiar with layer concepts first.
This is not at all a criticism, just meant to help. :)

Not taken as criticism at all, and I do appreciate your reply and guidance.

Postby sheldonk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 am

Photodex offers many online classes for PSG. The basics class includes an intro to layers. There is another separate class for layers. There is also an online class for using slide styles.

Sheldon

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:58 am

entanik wrote:
debngar wrote: The ability to tweak styles and templates is not a beginners task and simply applying a style or template is not necessarily a short cut if the user doesn't know how to tweak settings.

Well, I assumed using Styles is kind of a shortcut. My bad.

Using a template (Producer users) or slide style IS a helpful shortcut to putting together a quick show. Not knowing how to adjust things is sort of putting the cart before the horse as they say.

No need to feel bad. Many newbie users have had that assumption.

Newbies often initially overuse the bells and whistles, over zooming and panning. Effects should compliment the display of images, not compete with them.

Take one thing at a time then try something new each time you make a show to add to your skills. You'll be surprised how you can still present a nice show even with simple effects if you stick to a good story line with a good hook at the beginning, a middle and strong ending.

All the best to you.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby texan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:42 am

There's one other thing you can do that might speed your knowledge consumption along. Let the forum members know exactly what style you're working with and specifically what difficulties you are having and perhaps we can point you in the right direction.

But layers understanding is a must to create and or use styles...........
Texan

Postby CaptH » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:54 am

The more "Educated" we become the easier it gets.
When you have some time go to this site and view the tutorials on the left side of the
page. You may find them interesting in understanding other techniques.

Hope this helps some.

http://www.mycityphotoguide.com/Tutoria ... rials.aspx

CaptH

Return to PSG - Tutorials