Layers for Newbies

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Gold only. Provide a link if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
Soblessed

Layers for Newbies

Postby Soblessed » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi all:
I'm trying to get up to speed with this great program, can someone point me to a getting started with layers tutorial? I searched this room, but didn't seem to find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Stacey

Soblessed

Re: Layers for Newbies

Postby Soblessed » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Anyone?

Soblessed wrote:Hi all:
I'm trying to get up to speed with this great program, can someone point me to a getting started with layers tutorial? I searched this room, but didn't seem to find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Stacey

Postby cherub » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:18 pm

I understand that you are becoming impatient :D :D
I don't think that there is any tutorial on layers on this forum.

Layers means that you can have several pictures in the same slide.

I'm not using Gold, but in Producer you can either:
1. Press Control and drag an additional picture to your slide
2. In the Layers menu, press + and add another picture.

This function allows you to play with each individual picture separately within the same time frame.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:20 am

Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum.

As Cherub has said, I dont think there are any tutorials for 'layers'.

Probably one of the most common uses for layers is to put more than one picture in a slide. Try this. The instructions are brief, if you dont know how to do a particular action, come back.

1. Drag a picture to a slide.
2. Reduce the size to 50% by the zoom on the motions tab, for both the starting and ending positions.
3. Move the picture to one side of the slide, for both the starting and ending positions (the pan figures should read the same)
4. Now add a second layer by holding down the CTRL key while you drag a second picture to the same slide.
5. Do step 2 above for this picture, reduce it to 50%.
6. Move this picture (layer) to the other side of the slide using the pan control of the motions tab.

Now playing your slide you should have two pictures appear side by side.

By 'playing' with zoom and pan and having different starting and end figures in the motion tab, the effect can be varied. Perhaps the first picture zooming smaller as the second picture zooms bigger.

Hope this simple 'tutorial' gets you started.

Brian
PS Not everyone on this forum has the same 'waking' hours as you :lol:

Soblessed

Postby Soblessed » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:25 am

Thanks, will give a try and let you know how I make out.

briancbb wrote:Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum.

As Cherub has said, I dont think there are any tutorials for 'layers'.

Probably one of the most common uses for layers is to put more than one picture in a slide. Try this. The instructions are brief, if you dont know how to do a particular action, come back.

1. Drag a picture to a slide.
2. Reduce the size to 50% by the zoom on the motions tab, for both the starting and ending positions.
3. Move the picture to one side of the slide, for both the starting and ending positions (the pan figures should read the same)
4. Now add a second layer by holding down the CTRL key while you drag a second picture to the same slide.
5. Do step 2 above for this picture, reduce it to 50%.
6. Move this picture (layer) to the other side of the slide using the pan control of the motions tab.

Now playing your slide you should have two pictures appear side by side.

By 'playing' with zoom and pan and having different starting and end figures in the motion tab, the effect can be varied. Perhaps the first picture zooming smaller as the second picture zooms bigger.

Hope this simple 'tutorial' gets you started.

Brian
PS Not everyone on this forum has the same 'waking' hours as you :lol:

Soblessed

Postby Soblessed » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:25 am

Thanks, Cherub!! :wink:

cherub wrote:I understand that you are becoming impatient :D :D
I don't think that there is any tutorial on layers on this forum.

Layers means that you can have several pictures in the same slide.

I'm not using Gold, but in Producer you can either:
1. Press Control and drag an additional picture to your slide
2. In the Layers menu, press + and add another picture.

This function allows you to play with each individual picture separately within the same time frame.

Postby Jerry Cole » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:00 pm

Brian,
Somehow I thought that you and Mikey were awake 24 hours a day!
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Mon May 19, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi Stacey,
I share your frustration about layers. If you refer to "General Discussion"segment and on page 2 you will find two Layers tutorials written by TinaJ and DickK for me. It took me a few tries but I worked it out.
Rosemary

Postby webandgraphicsguy » Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 am

Hi Stacey,
First i'd like to say, I am a newbie too, and also blessed :D . In my search for training, I have found some good tutorials on youtube.com, and also discovered that Photodex has posted several tutorials. Here is there think http://www.youtube.com/user/PhotodexCorporation
I hope this helps
Blessings
Joe

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue May 20, 2008 6:03 pm

As far as I can see, UTube has only clips from there tutorials and not the full tutorial.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

rayS

Postby rayS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi All,
Just discovered this forum, which looks like a great source of help. I'm pretty much a newbie, not proficient with PSG but upgraded anyway to PSG4 and I'd like to become a bit more competent with the programme. Looking for a tutorial on layers as the help file tends to be not very helpful, but Brian's post gives the best explanation of how to use layers that I've found. Thanks, Brian and all who've posted.
....rayS

Postby ChrissyC » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:08 pm

Brian, that was a great quick little tutorial! How are you feeling these days? Hope your feeling good...take care Brian
huggggs, Chrissy

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:15 am

Hi Chrissy,

I'm now feeling on top of the world after my heart bypass. Apart from a 'zipper' mark down my chest and one on my arm I would not know I had been through the operation.

The only problem I have is with travel insurance. I will be in Florida for New Year, visit to the usual Orlando parks for one week and a week at Treasure Island on the Gulf Coast. It will be good to get away from 30-40 F temperatures in Scotland to 60-70 in Orlando :D

Thanks for asking Chrissy.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby ChrissyC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:40 am

Hi Brian, I'm so glad your feeling good, that is wonderful. Yes it will be good for you to get away from the cold, warm your bones in the sunshine of Orlando. Have a very safe time!
huggs, Chrissy

Return to PSG - Tutorials