Easy: Place captions beneath images

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Easy: Place captions beneath images

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 am

I've just added a short step-by-step tutorial to ProShowThink that teaches you how to quickly place any caption you like beneath any image. Frankly I don't know why the method didn't dawn on me until this morning. :D

Here it is: Captions Beneath Layers in ProShow Producer - Easy!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Easy: Place captions beneath images

Postby obeeone » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks Barbara

I like it !

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:22 am

Entirely welcome, Carl!

I fussed with it a bit more and discovered some interesting results when filling the caption with an image, then fiddling with the Chroma Key sliders. Give it a try. The results are too varied to give specific instructions for it, but I promise you'll discover some fascinating effects. Playtime! 8)

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:49 am

So, what does a person do when they're supposed to be paying bills? Go to the playground, of course!

I created a slide with text that I filled with the photo I planned on using in the "real" slide.
I saw there was too much black in the photo, and so I changed the background for the text to green.
Then I captured the frame.
Next, I added the captured frame to a new slide along with the photo, setting the background to brown.
Don't ask me what Chroma Key settings I used to extract the green. I tried different things until one of them worked.
Then I altered the color and brightness of the text.
I created 2 duplicates of the text layer, one of which created the shadow effect by setting its white point to 0% and adding some blur.
The second duplicate was colorized, lightened, and blurred 100% to create the subtle glow beneath the text.

If I were to set things in motion, I could have the caption, its shadow, and the glow gliding into the slide from beneath the photo.

Maybe I should pay the bills. :(

Barbara

Postby debngar » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:16 am

I like the tip to select a color for the background that's not in the image's color palate to help separate the background from the text when using the chroma key, that's a great idea. It might make the chroma key tool even more useful in the future for users.

To have used something other than black might have produced better edge results in some of my older shows that used caption under layers workaround by way of Producer's screen capture and chroma key tool.

I also like how it made the grungy text!

Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:38 am

debngar wrote:...To have used something other than black might have produced better edge results in some
of my older shows that used caption under layers workaround by way of Producer's screen capture and chroma key tool.

In my tests, the best results came most often from using either black or white (depending on the text color).
However, when filling text with an image or gradient, neither black nor white worked all that well. The problem comes
in when trying to find a color that isn't in the image.

Chroma-keying seems to be a combo of art and science. Furthermore, sometimes it works, and sometimes not so much.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:08 am

BarbaraC wrote:
debngar wrote:...To have used something other than black might have produced better edge results in some
of my older shows that used caption under layers workaround by way of Producer's screen capture and chroma key tool.

In my tests, the best results came most often from using either black or white (depending on the text color).
However, when filling text with an image or gradient, neither black nor white worked all that well. The problem comes
in when trying to find a color that isn't in the image.

Chroma-keying seems to be a combo of art and science. Furthermore, sometimes it works, and sometimes not so much.

Barbara

Colorizing the image, (using Producer of course), to 1 color might work. That way any color other than the one used for the image should likely work with the Chroma-key wouldn't it?
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 am

debngar wrote:Colorizing the image, (using Producer of course), to 1 color might work. That way any color other than the one used for the image should likely work with the Chroma-key wouldn't it?

I suppose, but when you choose an image to fill text, you're probably making that choice because you like its pattern and color.

Barbara

Return to PSP - Tutorials