Sound Editing Question

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Sound Editing Question

Postby kayeb » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:08 pm

I am wanting to delete portions of a soundtrack. I am wanting to use the first few words and then the last few words of the song and delete everything in between. I want to see the soundtrack play, stop it at the place I want to delete it, delete it and then resume. Is this possible? I saw how to split the track but the music wasn't playing so I'm not sure exactly where I want to split it until I hear it playing. Should I get an outside sound editor?

Thanks,
Kaye
Paint Shop Pro X7, Canon 70D, Panasonic DMCTZ5

Esteemed Member

Re: Sound Editing Question

Postby Marie78 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:39 am

Hello

You better use Audacity, which is free

You have thhe possibility to stop playing, note the exact place, then select the part you want to delete and then use Edition, REmove audio and labels, Cut and join (my version is french then it's not exactly the terms)
Chris Marie

Postby kayeb » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:39 am

Thank you Marie. I will download Audacity.
Kaye

Postby Dean Athans » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:16 am

Kaye -

While Chris' method is the most elegant, note that you can accomplish the same thing strictly in PSP:

1. In the "Timeline" view of PSP, place--drag--the original piece wherever you want it to start.

2. Make several copies of that original, placing them, end-to-end, after the original.

3. Play and move the ending point of the original segment to the first point you want to break that selection.

4. In the 1st copy of the piece, move the starting point--from the beginning of the piece to the place where you want to start the next "word".

5. Next, grab the (now shortened) 1st copy, and slide it to abut the end of the (shortened) original segment.

6. Move the ending point of the first copy to the desired place, slide the starting point of the next (second) copy to the appropriate place, and slide that segment to abut the 1st copy.

I know it sounds confusing, but actually you're just taking a song, making several copies of it, cutting those copies to produce just the short sound segments you need, and then placing them end-to-end to create your finished piece.

The shortcoming of this method with respect to what Audacity can do, is that they do not remain together if you have to slide one or more segments earlier/later in your show. This would require you to adjust ("realign") all of them. Audacity, as Chris points out, would allow you to actually make a single, edited selection. But, at least the all-PSP method is a quick, easily usable tool. Oh yes, and all the segments are fully recoverable (i.e., the entire song is still available for every segment) if you later change your mind.

- Dean A.
Dean A

Postby kayeb » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Thank you Dean. How do you know where to stop the audio if it's not playing? When I hit play, it would play the slideshow with the music but it didn't show the soundwave so I would know where to stop the music.

Postby Dean Athans » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Kaye -
That's the benefit of PSP's "Timeline View"
It DOES show the waveform, including both waveforms overlaid if that's how you have arranged them.
Dean A

Postby Dean Athans » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Forgot to add that you can play that portion of the show and watch how that splice sounds as it passes the cursor.
Dean A

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:25 am

Hi

Dean forgot to say that you have to play the show not in full screen :)
Chris Marie

Return to PSP - Tutorials