Advanced Intro to Zoom Modifiers; Pre-v9

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Advanced Intro to Zoom Modifiers; Pre-v9

Postby im42n8 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:36 pm

The Version 9 release of ProShow makes this treatment of modifiers irrelevant. It applies ONLY to ver 8 and earlier. Those versions of ProShow that had the Tilt function had a little problem. When Tilt is active, the modifier function was a linear value. In fact, that was completely different from how the modifier worked when tilt was not active.

I recently decided to dig a little deeper into zoom modifiers. I started working on a Modifier Zoom tool in my Tools for Proshow worksheet. In the process of testing the results, I ran into unexpected problems. That made me question things a bit more and one thing led to another. The tool I created relies on three things to provide desired answers. Zoom modifiers are composed of three things: a Starting Value of Zoom, A Final or Ending Value of Zoom, and the Modifier. Since all three are related in some fashion, it's possible to calculate the missing value if you know two of the values. In general, you provide the layer's start value of zoom and its desired final zoom setting. The tool will calculate the modifier that will achieve that result.

If you enter that information and then come back at a later date, your layer will show you the starting value of zoom and the modifier value. Unless you can do the quick calculation in your head, you've gotta do some math. Enter my Modifier Zoom tool. Tell it you want to find the End zoom. Then, enter the Modifier value and the layer's zoom setting. The tool provides the value of End zoom for you ... cool.

Well, in the process of testing all of this, anomalies presented themselves and I had to figure out what was going on. The result was an updated Modifier Zoom tool (Tools for ProShow) and the demonstration/tutorial below. Yep, since modifiers remain undocumented since Photodex introduced them in late 2008, some of these modifiers turn out to be a bit more complicated to use than they first appeared. Take a look at my demo/tutorial ... modifiers are a useful tool that become even more useful if you understand how they work and you want to get the most out of your program.

Here is a tutorial for showing how to add a modifier to a ProShow layer:

This is a tutorial for making effective use of zoom modifiers. This is the Advanced Introduction to Modifier Zoom:

A Modifier has been known here for some time to represent a percent change of the layer's zoom setting. What I discovered is that relationship ONLY works if the X and Y axes have the same value of zoom. If they're different, the zoom value of the other axis affects the zoom value for the current axis. That particular relationship was unknown until I discovered it recently. Those relationships are given in the Advanced Introduction to Modifier Zoom above or in each of the two links below.

http://www.fenimorephotovideos.com/fpvp_documents/tutorials/ModifierZoom_X-Axis.jpg
http://www.fenimorephotovideos.com/fpvp_documents/tutorials/ModifierZoom_Y-Axis.jpg

-Dale :D
Last edited by im42n8 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: Advanced Intro to Zoom Modifiers

Postby Random » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:20 am

These formulas are valid if no layer rotation or tilting
---------------------------
http://proshowproducer.net

Postby im42n8 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:23 pm

This is a long known problem with ProShow (since late 2011). When I first discovered how to exactly follow the zoom of another layer, tilt and rotation broke that zoom follow technique. The technique of changing the zoom of a layer via a constant value action is strongly related to the 2nd method of zoom following I found in 2012. However, it too is broken by the use of tilt and rotation.

I don't know what it is that breaks the effect exactly. However, a zoom modifier (of any sort) does NOT address a layer's size like the zoom value that you enter on a keyframe does. The modifier seems to address a layer's zoom settings across the zoom setting along the entire slide time. Tilt uses zoom somehow. I don't know how rotate is related to zoom but, it appears to be affected by it as given by its effect upon modifiers affecting zoom.

This tutorial "assumes" a zoom setting that applies to ALL LAYERS. You'll find that attaching a zoom setting to specific keyframes may NOT lead to the desired solution, in general. A "hint" you can work with, is that if you start with a layer's zoom setting of 50,50 your modifier is 30 for both axes. Now, the next set of keyframes may change the layer's zoom to 40. If you enter the start-X as 50 and the start-y as 40 in this Modifier ZOOM tool I've created, you're effectively working with 2 zoom settings that'll work on multiple keyframes. So, let's say kf1 and kf2 have a starting zoom of 50,50 and kf4 and kf5 have a starting zoom of 40,40. ... in both cases, you want the final zoom to be 65. KFs 1 and 2 will have a modifier of 30 while KFs 4 and 5 will have a modifier of 50 (as given by the Modifier Zoom tool: the End-Zoom_X will show 30 and the END-Zoom_Y will show 50. It's a trick, to be sure. Also, it's not definitive but points the way to some experimentation, if you're so inclined.)

It gets fairly technical when you move into the realm of changing the zoom across multiple keyframes ... hence one of the reasons I haven't publicly documented this 2nd approach to changing the zoom of a layer using modifiers. It shouldn't be as difficult or confusing as it presently is. I informed Photodex of the problem with this approach to changing a layer's zoom by at least September 2012. Photodex considers this a problem that only ProShow experts will run into, not the run of the mill ProShow user. As such, its priority is extremely low for being fixed. Don't expect any Photodex action on this problem any time soon ... at least NOT until they update modifiers.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby Random » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:45 am

For the first time he worked with modifiers zoom a few years ago. Here 0.12 seconds. Frame and text work on the zoom modifier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVGKSJw ... u.be&t=12s

Later, stranger2156 ,has developed lessons and excel table on this problem.
Modifiers are calculated from the Tilt - easier.
https://youtu.be/GK_F9vszLis

sorry for my English
---------------------------
http://proshowproducer.net

Postby im42n8 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:05 am

Random,

No, modifiers are not calculated from tilt. They are, however, affected by tilt (and can be by rotate). The presence of tilt in THIS case seems to convert the modifier to a linear relationship that's related to the difference between the layer's existing zoom and the desired zoom. In Paul's demo, he used a layer with a zoom of 50 that would change to a size indicative of a zoom of 80 while being tilted. In an environment where NO TILT exists, the modifier is calculated as 60. If ANY TILT exists, the modifier becomes the difference between the layer's existing zoom and the desired zoom. In this case, 80-50=30. The value of tilt can be anything (as long as it's non-zero) for this behavior to appear.

This is still indicative of a zoom modifier that's more complicated and confusing that it should be. Tilt or Rotation should have no effect ... but does. Tilt still "breaks" the application of a constant value modifier... requiring another, different, "fix" before it works correctly. However, as you say, KNOWING that tilt converts this relationship to a linear one, this simplifies things considerably.

Dale

Return to PSP - Tutorials