Basic Intro to User Created Outlines/Shadows

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Basic Intro to User Created Outlines/Shadows

Postby im42n8 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:02 pm

ProShow's outlining features are quite simply wanting. They haven't really been updated since they were first introduced to the program back in 2006 or so.

Gold has 1 outline width ("narrow") and Producer has 5 widths. However, ProShow's outlines are often not narrow enough or not wide enough. Basically, the outline is centered on the outside edge of the layer being given the outline. The outline width varied on either side of that center point. So, a portion of the outline resides on and off of the image. The corners are always round. The outline is composed of only a single color. The only real difference between what Gold has and what Producer has is that Producer has 4 more outline widths than Gold has.

When it comes to shadows, the light "source" is somewhere in the upper left since the shadow is always formed toward the lower right corner. The width of the shadow is more or less fixed ... but the width of that shadow to the right is not always the same width as what appears at the layer bottom side. The only difference between the shadow in Gold and Producer is that Producer allows varying the shadow opacity (Gold doesn't handle opacity very well).

So, you're left to your own devices if you want outlines that look better and which do not cover up portions of your image layers. The following basic tutorial uses my Tools For ProShow to show how to make user created outlines. This tool can provide both GOLD and PRODUCER users with outlines or frames. In fact, this tool brings to Gold some of the outlining functionality of Producer. This is made possible by providing layer dimensions (for a graphic layer sized or cropped to the given dimensions) and an associated zoom value. To date, there is no other such functionality provided for Gold when it comes to creating outlines or frames for use within Gold.

Take a look gander at the tutorial ... see what you think.

http://fenimorephotovideos.com/fpvp_documents/tutorials
/Outlines_Frames BASIC/Outlines_Frames BASIC.html

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: Basic Intro to User Created Outlines/Shadows

Postby Jeep » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:57 am

Hi Dale,

Which tool do you use for your tutorials ? It's quite perfect in quality
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby im42n8 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:10 am

If I'm understanding this correctly, I use Camtasia v9.

The only other tools were ProShow Producer and Tools For ProShow (in M$ Excel). I had the output go to an MP4 with high quality.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Betty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:00 am

Thank you for the updated tool and the tutorial is point on.

I made my purchase!

~Betty
a.k.a birute00
:D

Return to PSP - Tutorials