Zacuto Viewfinder Z

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Zacuto Viewfinder Z

Postby Dieter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:07 am

Hello,

has anyone experience with Zacuto Viewfinder Z on a DSLR-Video?

Best regards Dieter

Re: Zacuto Viewfinder Z

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:41 am

Haven't used it (hadn't even heard of it until now actually). You might want to check out the comments on Amazon - the one comment says you can put it together from pieces for $140 less than the price assembled. You might also want to check out the Hoodman Loupe 3 - while not as nice, it is a lot less expensive as well (B&H Photo has it for $79 - you might want to check out the user comments there too).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby Dieter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:10 am

Hello gpsmikey ,

thank you for your answer.
I think I'll take the Zacuto Viewfinder. I test it in Munich by a Fotodealer. Yes it is a expensiv part for my Kamera,
but I think, not to last , it is cheaper because I am satisfied and a good qualität.

I take a look to B&H Photo and I surprised about darkroom equipment. They have a big offer for Darkroomer.
In Germany is this market dead. All dealers have only digital photo equipment.
I think in USA the Fotografer make more BW pictures/darkroom ( Ansel Adams) like in Germany. There are a bigger market for BW

Best regards Dieter

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:27 am

Yeah, they do have some darkroom equipment, but most everyone I know has gone digital (I still have my darkroom equipment downstairs - used to by 35mm film in 100 foot rolls of all sorts of interesting film - B/W, IR etc - some of it was only available in the bulk rolls). I do miss the smell of fixer and stop bath (on the other hand, I sure like how fast I can get shots and work with them in the digital world !! ).

I ordered the cheaper Hoodman one since I don't normally use that feature on my camera, but want to be able to use it sometimes. Have to see how well it works.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Esteemed Member

Postby Dieter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:53 am

Hello gpsmikey,

I do miss the smell of fixer and stop bath (on the other hand, I sure like how fast I can get shots and work with them in the digital world !! ).

You are right, digital offers opportunities of which we could previously only dream of.

Best regards Dieter

Postby Oldguy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:52 am

Seems like I used to use DK-40 & Hypo....??

Forrest

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 am

My favorites were Microdol-X for film and Dektol for prints although there were a couple like Diaphine for special stuff. One of my favorite films was Kodak High Contrast Copy - panchromatic but VERY high contrast - if you were off a stop either way, the film was either black or clear. BUT, for aerial pictures, it was outstanding because looking down, the lighting tends to be very flat (and it was a very fine grain film) - properly exposed, high contrast copy would make the shot really pop. Now all you do is go into Photoshop and move the black and white points in using "Levels" and there you are. Takes some of the fun out of it :twisted:

mikey

Return to Photography