Creating Panoramas

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Creating Panoramas

Postby des.tom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 am

When we were in Vancouver, I took a set of 10 photos of the Waterfront from Stanley Park using “P” setting – recent tutorial in Digital Photo magazine tells me I need to be more selective in my settings! The results when I tried to create a panorama in Photoshop were dire – I didn’t even attempt to edit. Rosemary Appleby suggested that I tried the panorama option in Windows Live Photo Gallery which I did without much hope of getting anything better but the difference is amazing. For those with compact cameras or not wishing to fiddle about too much with their settings this is a very useful tool.

Des

Re: Creating Panoramas

Postby Jean-Paul » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:08 pm

You can also try: Serif-PanoramaPlus
It is very good.

Have fun,
Amicalement, Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Esteemed Member

Postby des.tom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks Jean-Paul. I've already downloaded a free starter version on someone else's recommendation and I see the full version is available at a good discount at the moment.

Des

Postby Magmatic » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I use Arcsoft Panorama Maker. It's more expensive than PanoramaPlus, but perhaps more sophisticated. It will do horizontal, vertical, 360, and even up to 4x4 tile panoramas. It will stitch automatically, but you can also adjust the align points manually if needed.

As you probably know from the article, in order to shoot a successful panorama, eliminate as many variables frame-to-frame as you can. Use exposure lock. Also, don't use auto white balance. Try something like Sun. All frames must have the same exposure and white balance. Otherwise, the pan will look terrible.
David Shuford

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:04 am

Microsoft's ICE is also nice.

Return to Photography