When to use a Photo Release Form

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

When to use a Photo Release Form

Postby jojo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi,
First I am not a professional photographer. I been asked by a coach to take photos of the players of a touch fooball team, ages 6-9 years old, and make a slide show for their end of season get together. I am not going to be posting the show on face book or using Copyrighted music. I am not charging the team since my grandson is on the team and I been taking pictures of him anyway. Is it wise to get a release form from the parents and does it have to be as detailed or formal as a release form for a living model?

Any advice this group would give me, I would be thankful.

John

Re: When to use a Photo Release Form

Postby Livonne » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:39 am

Hi John.. I'm not sure where you are or what the laws are there, but I think you're better off getting the forms than not.. If you never have need for them, that's all good but if one day down the track someone says something, I think you're better off safe than sorry. Ask the club to hand them out to the kids involved and get their parents to sign them so you are covered. I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.. :)
cheers Yvonne

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:51 pm

There are lots of sites and forums that are specific to photographers. The rules on model release forms (and the several variants) are (to me) as arcane as the intellectual property rules.

Is it wise to get a release form from the parents and does it have to be as detailed or formal as a release form for a living model?

Huh? The kids are living models and they're not legally able to sign the form. Short answer is yes, you should protect yourself with permission forms. The longer answer is that I think it should be the coach's responsibility to do it since they're the ones requesting the pictures and make sure that it happens, so both of you are protected. All it takes is one parent to suddenly decide they didn't like it and you've got potential trouble. Personally, I wouldn't go overboard with it--use something simple that acknowledges the parent's knowledge of and permission for what you're doing, how the images will be used and whether or not you the will retain the images and/or slideshow.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby jojo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:53 am

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

John

Postby debngar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:54 am

Hi John,

Here are two resources for further information and understanding regarding the use of photographic releases.

http://asmp.org/tutorials/property-and- ... R0VlWc0_TI

http://www.photoattorney.com/2005/09/ri ... s-for.html

The second link has a search box to search for contents in that blog. Try inserting "model release" in the search box. That should supply a number of links to posts on the subject that have been posted by that blogger (photoattorney).
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 am

www.thecopyrightzone.com
Lots of useful information.

Return to Photography