Super-zoom Bridge Cameras

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Super-zoom Bridge Cameras

Postby des.tom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 am

At present I use a Nikon D90 with a 17-200mm lens and was thinking of purchasing a 17mm (or 80mm)-300mm lens for an upcoming trip to Tanzania. However, my camera backpack is getting a bit on the heavy side so I'm looking at the options provided by the super-zoom bridge cameras for travel photography. Most of my photos are used in Producer shows and I do very little printing above A4. On a recent trip to the USA one of my fellow travellers was very impressed with his Fujifilm X - S1 camera and, since my return home, I've been doing some research on the range available but the more I read the more confused I become.

The Fujifilm X - S1 has the largest sensor in its class and I like the DSLR type controls on the zoom and focus but is this better than the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 with its f2.8 lens throughout the zoom range - some users haven't been very impressed with the quality of the jpeg images from this camera? Both of these cameras have a max. zoom around 600mm which I think more than adequate for my needs but newest cameras, eg Fujifilm Finepix HS50 (poor video?) and Canon SX50HS have raised this to 1000/1200mm.

I would be delighted to receive advice/suggestions from anyone who has experience of super-zoom cameras and/or links to any comparative review sites.

Thanks in anticipation.

Des

Re: Super-zoom Bridge Cameras

Postby stearman65 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 pm

I've been using a Panasonic FZ150 for over 2 years, very satisfied. Downside, low light images could be better, sound is average. Up-side great video & normal light stills, can take an add on mike, I use an Olypus LS 10 mike. It has since been overtaken by FZ200 & I think the 1000, but IMO one of the best.
Stearman65

Re: Super-zoom Bridge Cameras

Postby debngar » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Since Des.Tom's original post in this thread is now over a year old and he has now been to his trip to Tanzania, there is quite a bit of more information available with regard to mirrorless cameras.

Between the most popular brands of mirrorless, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic and Olympus, Sony makes a full frame mirrorless but is the most expensive.

I recently replaced my Canon equipment with M43 camera gear - a Panasonic Lumix GH4 and assorted lenses. It's quite an adjustment. I don't miss the weight but am still learning the features. Micro four thirds cameras seem to have a large choice of lenses as they can cross over brands. I have an Olympus lens for my Panasonic camera along with three Panasonic lenses.

Be aware that M43 is a 2x crop factor. So a 25mm f/2.8 lens is equivalent to a 50mm f/5.6 in 35mm (full frame) camera.

So it follows to multiply the Fuji aps-c 1.5 crop factor by 1.5 to get the equivalent of both the reach (mm) and f stop of a DSLR 35mm camera.

If the following website doesn't provide enough information for those considering the switch from DSLR to mirrorless, a search for "mirrorless camera reviews" will provide additional information.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to Photography