Help with Canon camera issue

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Help with Canon camera issue

Postby tjdowning » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:59 am

Hello,
I have had my Canon EOS Rebel XTI for many years and have loved it. Noticed lately that when I take a flash picture, I have to wait longer than normal to take another. Have the "busy" note show like it has to recharge longer than usual.
*I do not have the review mode set, so that isn't the issue.

I have used the same 2 rechargeable litheum batteries since I got the camera. I started to wonder if they only work the greatest for so long and then I should replace them.

So wondering if a battery issue or possible camera issue?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
-Terri
Iowa User

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Help with Canon camera issue

Postby briancbb » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:23 am

Rechargeable batteries degrade with use, the capacity decreasing until it is unusably small. Li+ batteries last longer[112][unreliable source?][dubious – discuss] if not deeply discharged (depleted) before recharging. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.[113][unreliable source?][dubious – discuss]

Batteries may last longer if not stored fully discharged. As the battery self-discharges over time, its voltage gradually reduces. When depleted below the low-voltage threshold of the protection circuit (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it will be disabled and cannot be further discharged until recharged.[112] This because as the discharge progresses, the metallic contents of the cell are plated onto its internal structure creating an unwanted discharge path. It is recommended to store batteries at 40% charge level.

A little bit of a cheat, posted from Wikipedia. But yes they do degrade with time, but not as much as other batteries, but it is bad to store them fully discharged. From the increase in time between shots it sounds about time to try another set of batteries.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby debngar » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:25 am

I agree with Brian.

I used to use rechargeable batteries but found after a while they just don't seem to keep as good of a charge. I'm not a battery expert but would suggest to buy a pack of brand new Energizer ultimate lithium batteries and observe the difference in performance. That should tell you if the problem is your flash or not. I would guess it's the batteries but you won't know until you try.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby tjdowning » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks Brian and Deb, will do!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:05 am

Debbie, glad to see you are a fan of Energiser as a make. Always seem to be the best long life battery to me as well. :D
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby bobradarbob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Terri,

Here are some suggestions that I thought of:

Have you changed to a different resolution for output file size? Larger files take longer to save.
Do you use different speed SD or CF memory cards. Some take longer to save to than others.
What is the speed of recharge for the 'second' shot from a freshly charged battery vs the third and fourth shots? Is your experience the same with both of your batteries? You may be right! It just may be time for new batteries but I've not had the same experience with my Canon cameras.

I looked up a replacement battery for that camera. It appears the average cost is about $16. I expect that Canon's branded batteries would be your best bet but at a premium price. I've owned the original Digital Rebel 300D since its release and eventually had to buy a replacement battery but I never experienced what you describe here.

Bob

Postby debngar » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:48 pm

I just realized you were referring to your batteries that go in the camera. In my post, I was referring to the batteries I use in my flash, not the rechargeable battery that goes in the camera, because my 5DMII has no on-camera flash. It just has a shoe for an external flash.

You may be able to check to see if your camera batteries are a bit run down (old). Mine are not at 100% battery recharge performance. They were bought in 2008. If you go to the "battery" info in your menu on the screen, you should be able to see the performance level. Mine show a red colored box in the left of the 3 boxes. Probably time to buy new ones at this point for me. One of these days, I may replace my camera, but not soon and I haven't thought of what that replacement will be. Whatever it is, if I bought new batteries, I'm hoping they would be compatible as they aren't cheap at $59 each!
Debbie

Postby Jeep » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:42 am

Hi,
Is this information may be of interest for your problem ?
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/c ... 24809ed436
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby debngar » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:09 am

Another thought.... does your flash work better inside where it's warmer? Batteries can run down quicker while using the camera outside in colder weather, When I shoot the annual Bethlehem Village event, I take a back up battery and stash it in a pocket close to my body so the heat keeps it warm. I've only had to change it out once in the last 6 years of shooting that event that I can remember. Evening temperatures between 5-8:30 pm recently were in the 30s to low 40s. That's enough to put a damper on my battery's performance.
Debbie

Return to Photography