365 Day Photo Project

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

365 Day Photo Project

Postby ginger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Just noticed an article on slideshowblog.com about doing a 365 day photo project. I've been wanting to do one of these in an effort to improve my photography skills.

Has anyone here ever done one of these? How did it go? Any obstacles... maybe the time period's too long?

It might make a fun challenge here on the forum... though maybe not necessarily 365 days. Anyone interested?

ginger

Esteemed Member

Re: 365 Day Photo Project

Postby quetzal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi Ginger,
Since 2011, we take photos of birds in our region : Quebec City, in urban parks, along St.Charles River. Some birds only come in summer, in autumn, in spring or in winter. It tooks a long time and patience to have a good image. Now, we have a lot of photos and after 3 years, we think it's time to do a ProShow. Our best wishes for 2014 for you and all your family. quetzal :D

Postby ginger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:29 pm

That sounds like a great project Quetzal! Happy New Year to you and your family as well.

ginger

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 am

This reminds me of A Day in the Life of America, a book created by 200 photojournalists who all took photos on May 2, 1986. (I grabbed the book off my shelf to check because Amazon's date looked really peculiar.) Anyway, people could do their own version of even just a day, documenting the entire day, perhaps learning things about ourselves and our environment in the process.

It also reminds me of the day my son and I were out and about, taking our cameras with us and shooting "stealth" photos of each other, photos taken when the other person wasn't paying attention to the fact a camera was pointed at them. Some of the photos were hilarious, some were really quite touching. It was a wonderful day.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby ginger » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:26 am

Hi Barbara,

I'll have to check that book out. I'll bet it's fascinating.

As far as the photo project challenge, it really could be any theme a person wants it to be, or maybe deciding on a theme for everyone might be more fun. Nevertheless, I think 365 days is too long for any project... for me anyway. I'll give it some more thought.

Your idea of stealth photos with your son is a great idea. I hope you created a slideshow to capture that day.

Here's one that you'll appreciate Barbara, as a Photoshop enthusiast. This guy used his sense of humor, creativity and his Photoshop skills to put together a project about being World's Best Father. I got a kick out of it, and I think you will too. (Check out the first half of the video as well as the photos below.)

ginger

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:52 am

Ginger, that's what I love: a big fat sense of humor, which that poor dad certainly has. It's a necessity for all parents, and he has enough to share with someone who needs a little bit more.

No, I never created a show from the stealth photos. We did it because we were in need of laughter, and I guess that by the time we were done, we'd had our fill. :D

I've thought off and on for a couple of years of documenting a single day, but I only think about it when I'm busy doing something else. Is this a stupid excuse or what?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Photography