2010 Spring Challenge - My Hometown - St. Louis, Missouri

This area is for member suggested challenges using ProShow Producer only. See top thread for challenge rules.

2010 Spring Challenge - My Hometown - St. Louis, Missouri

Postby ginger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:45 am

Sorry this is a bit late, but I told AnnaJ I would do it and I needed the experience so ...

I've always lived in the suburbs, but consider St. Louis my hometown (except for a few years when I lived in the Chicago area). The show is fairly simple. I didn't use any styles, mainly so you could read the captions. (Oops, I used one style on the 2nd slide). Most of the photos were from the internet. I hope you enjoy, and I encourage suggestions. You won't offend me.

Show is 4:34 long and nothing objectionable.

http://www.photodex.com/share/ginger213/a99m8mg4

ginger

Edit: Minor adjustments to song credits.
Last edited by ginger on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Esteemed Member

Re: 2010 Spring Challenge - My Hometown - St. Louis, Missouri

Postby rlsu » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:36 am

What a great show! There were so many interesting facts about Missouri. You put this together perfectly and I loved your choice of music. I can't think of one way to improve this show.
Michelle
Michelle

Postby ginger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:28 am

Thanks so much for your nice comments, Michelle! I'm sure there's plenty that can be improved, but it's good to know that you didn't notice anything glaringly off. :lol:

I learned a few facts myself from doing the research for this show, as well as learning a few things about building a show, so it was a good experience.

Thank you again for taking the time to view it and comment. I really appreciate it.

ginger

Postby Anna J » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:04 am

Ginger,
I'm glad I nagged you to do a show. :D It was excellent, and I learned a lot about St. Louis and Missouri. I agree. There's nothing to change about your show. It's perfect!
Anna
Anna

Postby trulytango » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:14 am

Great show, Ginger!

I really enjoyed it... I liked the way you set out your slides -the framing was subtle and very well done.

You showed off your Hometown (and your ProShow skills) perfectly!

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby mulawa1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:44 am

Ginger,

That was great! I especially liked the overall look of your show - very simple but very very effective.

By way of feedback - I didn't have time to read some of the longer passages and I felt the music ending was disappointing - a trick I use is to start the music with a fade in at a suitable place so that the end of the piece coincides with my visuals.

Peter

Postby Diane48 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:39 am

Hi Ginger
I found your show to be both educational and entertaining. Always nice to learn about other cities and countries. I also liked your framing effects, particularly when looking at the famous people from St Louis. Very appropriate choice of music.

Well Done
Cheers, Diane

Postby berean1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:22 am

Hi Ginger,
I've always read to keep your captions to a minimum, so when I read that your show was primarily captions, I wasn't sure what to expect. Well I was pleasantly surprised and everything fit well together. Very clean and very professional looking and looked as though it was done with love.
I loved it all !

Pete

Postby ginger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:56 am

You guys are so nice!

Anna, I'm glad you nagged me :wink: to do one too because it was great practice. It gave me some much needed experience with adjusting keyframes.

I had just finished reading Secrets of ProShow Experts as I was finishing up the show, and went back and revised a few things, which I think helped it to flow more smoothly. I highly recommend this book!

Thank you Iris, and the rest of the generous people on this forum, for all of your helpful tutorials, examples and posts. Whatever ProShow skills I have are because of generous forum members like yourself. This forum has been a great resource of knowledge, generous tutorials and examples. I've watched most of the shows in your gallery and have learned a lot from them.

Peter, this is great feedback. It's good to know what works and what doesn't. Actually, I tried the method you mention the first 4-5 times :oops: , trying both Producer and Audacity to fade the music in so that it would end at the end of the song, but I couldn't seem to get a good spot in the music to match up with the amount of time I needed for the rest of the show. I almost didn't post the show for this very reason, because I couldn't get the music right. Then I finally just decided to start the song at the beginning again, then tried to fade it out at the end of the show, hopefully at a point where it wouldn't be noticeable. I'll take a look at this again and see if I can improve it.

Diane, thanks for looking and letting me know what you liked. I thought your show for your mother was fabulous!

Pete, thank you also for your very nice comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

ginger

Postby HunnyB » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:03 am

Glad I did not miss this one. :wink:
I like it very much. You did a wonderful job. Thanks so very much for sharing.
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby ginger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:25 am

Thanks Hunny. I'm glad you were able to view this one. I made the mistake on my Ft. Lauderdale show of uploading a higher resolution to Photodex, which I think made for big download times for a lot of people. This time I let Photodex apply its default compression, and it seemed to be fine.

Thanks again for looking and initiating the challenge. It was good experience!

ginger

Return to PSP - Challenges