Al Cain's updated and re-vamped web page

Want to share your own personal web site with the other forum members? Post a link here. This section is for personal sites only. Sites promoting slide show businesses are acceptable. Please DO NOT link to sites that you use to sell ProShow styles, templates, etc.
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Al Cain's updated and re-vamped web page

Postby alcain » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Took down my old page and set up a new one. Comments and/or suggestions welcome.

I did my first attempt at embedding a proshow show in my web site. From my main menu click on,
"We Do Weddings" then look near the bottom to the right for "Sample wedding show". It should
open in a new browser window and begin the show.

I have also replaced Flickr as my image hosting site with Smugmug, which is more professional in controls.

http://starlightpps.com/

Thanks, ~Al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Re: Al Cain's updated and re-vamped web page

Postby amycramer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:03 pm

Very nice web page Al. The show played as it should. I didn't see anywhere a price for a show. I am sure you make alot of regular folks happy with your photography, looks like you do an awesome job for the price. Best of luck, Amy
Pentax K5, Panasonic HDC-TM300 video camera (Whoohoo, thanks Santa)

Postby alcain » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks Amy (I LOVE that name!) My wedding shows are complimentary with the wedding package. I never charge for wedding or memorial shows. Next time you are in Virginia Beach, stop by for a quick portrait!
Blessings, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby 57Corvette » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Al,

Hope all is well with you and the family ....... the new site looks great. Best of luck with it. A couple of things: I would be interested in know how many people will download the presenter to watch the video .... not sure if there is any way to know that, but from past experience, I found very few who were willing to take the time to download, even if they trusted the site. I would make the sample wedding show thumbnail a little larger .... it kind of gets lost over to the right side. Also, the show is aligned to the top .... I would suggest lowering it a little so you don't get the feeling it's going off the page. Just my 2 cents worth ...... which in todays economic climate, isn't worth a penny ....

Best,

Bob
Nikon D80
ProShow Producer
CS3 Extended
Paint Shop Pro xi

Postby alcain » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Also, the show is aligned to the top .... I would suggest lowering it a little so you don't get the feeling it's going off the page.

Bob, funny you should mention that. Mike (our beloved Thunder) and I have been working on that problem for over four hours. Finally Mike got the correct code to me and now the show is lowered down - good eye Bob, as usual.

THANK YOU MIKE!!!

Thanks Bob, ~Al

Postby debngar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi Al,

Congrats on your new website - a lot of work to get it all pulled together. I'm still working on my self-hosted blog (not the current one) and am not done yet because other stuff keeps creeping onto my plate!

Only "home" and "contact us" links work properly across the bottom on the "wedding page'.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby JaniceMBrown » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:48 pm

NIce site..I feel your pain in getting it up and functioning. I have done my own also and still not very inviting. One thing I learned as others have stated...most don't like downloading photodex presenter. I finally got the hand of the flash videos and they work marvelously from my website. I simply embed the flash to my master page and save the page with the right name and wala...no downloading. When clicked on they will only get buffering to watch in flash mode. Nice job and I agree as well with the top alignment. I kept wanting to scroll up thinking I was missing something at the top of the screen.. All around excellent just the same.

Janice
Janice M. Brown
MemoReel Productions
http://www.MyMemoReel.com

Postby tomdavis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 pm

I also want to congratulate you on your fine web page. Spent time reading everything and looking at everything. You'se do good work Al.

Tom

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:56 am

Al, the site looks great - nice to see you around.

In particular I like the choice of background, shows photographs off well, but allows the subtle black lines to show.

Love the wooden crosses sideline, I had forgotten the 'Church Mouse' :D
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby HunnyB » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:48 am

Great job my friend. But one thing I think is wrong..... you don't charge enough!!!!
That is a lot of hard work - and the slideshow is free?????
You should reconsider this. I mean, come on, even $500.00 is cheap - and this would be a great raise for you. :D

Oh, I wonder if your show on the website could be on you tube?

Anyway, love ya man!!!!
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby Frankie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:03 am

Al,

This is really a first-class design, well organized, not too busy, and full of helpful information. I think you should give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back because you obviously put a lot of time and planning into the web site. It's very user friendly and I like the way you divided things into categories and then enticed the viewer with information about your rates. If I was someone in your area looking for a photographer I would certainly feel comfortable giving it a go with your company because it looks very professional. I really mean this sincerely because I see a lot of websites I really don't care for. Very nice work!

Frankie

Postby alcain » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:51 am

you don't charge enough!!!!
That is a lot of hard work - and the slideshow is free?????

Well, usually I get around $500 because of my two hour window for $295 - they always want more time at $100/hour.

I mainly do it as a service to those who cannot afford more. I feel good about it.

Love you too! ~Al

Postby nannybear » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:24 am

Great job Al, I too, liked the crosses. It looks very pro-nicely balanced. Excellent photos....cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Return to Personal Web Sites