Mr. and Mrs Sweetman

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

Mr. and Mrs Sweetman

Postby Riekelt » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:11 pm

I have this story, which I found, with the foto's on the internet, used as a PSP exercise.
it was difficult to keep the foto's in the music. ( 1min. 27sec. )

Photographer and journalist Ken Griffiths captured these photographs of an elderly couple for the Sunday Times magazine. For twelve months, Mr. and Mrs. Sweetman posed for the same shot in their garden.

We can see seasons pass, having the impact on the garden and the couple themselves.

https://youtu.be/fAEKCITXIEQ
Riekelt Koffeman

WIN10 PSP 9.0
MAC OSX Photoshop / Lightroom
Foto CANON 80D

Re: Mr. and Mrs Sweetman

Postby heckydog » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Interesting take on Ken Griffiths photos of Mr. and Mrs. Sweetman. I might have done that show differently, but I understand why you wanted to practice with those photos.

I had seen those photos a number of years ago so I did a google search on the background history to refresh my memory. I've seen more than one article that says Mrs. Sweetman did not pass away before the 12th photo was taken. It was actually a very cold day and she decided not to come outside for the photo. You can supposedly see her in the kitchen window and that's why her husband was on the left side. My thinking is they knew it was going to be done over a year's time. How cold could it have really been that she would not come out for a few minutes to be in that last photo? I think she was alive but Griffiths did that deliberately just to mess with peoples minds.

Joe

Postby Riekelt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:44 am

Now I also Googled the story and found the photographers own info : at https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/sep/02/ken-griffiths

One of his most famous features was a series of 12 photos of an elderly couple, Mr and Mrs Sweetman of Three Cups Corner, East Sussex, showing the changes in their garden over 12 months. Other publications worldwide picked up but misunderstood the series, because Mrs Sweetman was not in the final picture. "Story of Love in Annual Photographs with Sorrowful Ending," says one website headline, implying that she had died. In fact, it was too cold for her to go outside, and she can be seen at the kitchen window.

So ok you cought me on "fake news" Joe.............. :roll:

But this story for me is in second place and as I told , this exercise as a subject for me was number one.
And to practice, I need subjects and now I am no globetrotter with nice desert pictures :D

Making this slide show i noticed the story can be told in one long slide with 14 layers and a few text captions. :?: ....
I therefore have less work on all the transitions and i use, for example, one single photo frame or foto wall and then let pass the 12 pictures.
But it will be a very long slide with a lot of work with time settings. Is there a rule ?
Is it possible to make a hole show in onde slide ?

With this show i also have an exercise within the very short music time (1:25 minutes)
to tell the story succinctly. time was i problem...

My practice also to let 12 slide do exactly the same. ( copy past )

Also working with several layers of text captions is new for me.
Nice to practice text captions with the beat of the music.

Overall, nice story, ok fake.... but for me as a PSP starter still a small but difficult exercise.

I notice the best learn is practice, practice, practice.
and your slogan i printed on a paper and hang above the computer :
5% skill, 5% inspiration, 90% watching loads of tutorials over the years and having 5% of that actually stay in my brain :)

with regards
Riekelt Koffeman

WIN10 PSP 9.0
MAC OSX Photoshop / Lightroom
Foto CANON 80D

Postby heckydog » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:20 am

Riekelt wrote:
. . . . Making this slide show i noticed the story can be told in one long slide with 14 layers and a few text captions. :?: ....
I therefore have less work on all the transitions and i use, for example, one single photo frame or foto wall and then let pass the 12 pictures.
But it will be a very long slide with a lot of work with time settings. Is there a rule ?
Is it possible to make a hole show in onde slide ? . . .

There's no rules on how to decide something like that. Sometimes it's just trial and error. As you develop your own way of doing things it should get easier to make those kinds of judgements. There is no right or wrong. There's just what works for you.

Joe

Valued Member

Postby DJaseck » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Riekelt...Loved the show. A lot in a 1.5 minutes, stirred my emotions with the story it told. Yes, picking styles and transitions is such a subjective thing, if your anything like me after giving the show some time to age, you will invariably come up with new ideas that may or may not be better, at least it normal with me to keep messing with a show until I tell myself, enough, you are through with this one, move on. Keep up the good work....Dave

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback