"A Faire To Remember" - 2007 Promo

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

"A Faire To Remember" - 2007 Promo

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:30 am

I don't think I shared this last year because it WAS a PSG show. If you saw it in that format,
feel free to pass if you wish. But I re-worked this quite a bit now that I'm using Producer.

I was asked to revise this show to promote this year's craft faire presented
by our Women's Ministries. They wanted a couple of captions changed and
updated. This was not presented to a specific audience last year as a promo
since I had just started doing slideshows for them and the pictures were
after the fact. But this was the show that got me started doing their promos.

The original was done in PSG 2.6, no layers, etc. So in reviewing the old
show, I became bored with it and made changes to spice it up. After
working with Producer for 9 months, it's nice not to be stuck in that
"no-layers" mode anymore and have more options. :)

I Photoshopped the 2 signage slides that were date or number specific, removing
information to make them generic. The streetside banner and the sign in the
entry can now be used over and over. Captions were inserted with current dates
and the "16th" annual craft faire, etc. can be changed to whatever number I want.
If I get over there for photos this year, I'm hoping to capture better images to replace
some of the current ones as the years go by and as my photo skills improve.

No templates were used but action is stepped up to match the beat more and a
layer of background lights was added to some slides from a crop of one of
the images.

So here it is. I wanted to share it so those of you that do these
kinds of promos can see the potential for editing signs and reusing
images in this way.

The signage with the dates is the second slide and also appears at the very end.

3rd slide - "Welcome to our 15th annual" craft faire" was changed to "Welcome to our annual craft faire".
-----------
>ORIGINAL< (released in Nov-06) 2:45
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=126328
------------

>AFTER< REVISED UPDATED PROMO - You wanted SNAPPY! :D
"A Faire To Remember" ( 2007 Promo ) - Length 2:45
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 6977&alb=0

Comments and critiques welcome.

Debbie
Last edited by debngar on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:47 am

Debbie, WOW! What a neat Faire. I want to come! The show made me want to come and wonder about the fantastic displays.
If I may make a teenie tiny comment about the pace of the show. I know it would be time consuming, but if you could pace the slides
more to the "spike beats" of the music, it would add even more of a sense of awesome power to the show. I saw where you transitioned
somewhat to the music, but this particular song 'begs' for the images to pop up to the down beats ever so more often. But, this is only a
one eyed man's opinion. Even as it is, it took my breath away!
Blessings always my friend, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Al

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:58 am

The original production pretty much only spiked to the beats at the end - hence very boring.

In the revised version, I did what I thought I could to put more of that snap in it throughout. But I'll look at it again.

Maybe a selection of a different transition wil help. Some parts are less "snappy" during the sections of music that don't have as distinct a beat. Are you speaking of those?

Thanks for your input Al - much appreciated. I have a while to let it sit and look at it with fresh eyes to re-tweak if necessary.

Debbie
Last edited by debngar on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisco

Postby lisco » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:58 am

Debbie-

I think that that is officially the first Christmas event I've seen this year. Very nice show. A lot of work and love went into that one. Deb, I have to agree with Al about the timing of some of the slides with the music. I had to watch twice. The first time the timing was way off (my systems fault) and I knew you were better than that. The second time it was much better, but the transitions just weren't hitting with the "beat" so to speak. I especially liked the ending with the kids in the snow. That was timed nicely. I loved the arrangement of that song. A great show nonetheless!

Scott

Postby HunnyB » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:59 am

That was a fun, cool show. Great energy. I wasn't fond of a couple slides that had the black borders on the side.
But that's just me. Who am I to judge someone else's techniques?
I love the ending!!!!! I am off to work on my "contrasting colors" show.
I am sure it will get a lot of "opinions"..... :D

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

mrcracked

Postby mrcracked » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:15 am

Debbie,

Your Christmas Faire show is great. I think it is the best show I have seen in my year of silently watching this forum.

The photography is crisp and the music is enchanting.(if you do not mind, can you share the title of the song and artist?)

Al suggested making the show match more of 'the beat'. I have to disagree with him. In a faire like this....part of the charm is wandering. When you find something you really like then it is a moment of heightened excitement. I have a friend who loves events like this, and have seen this in action. She is giddy the entire show, but when she sees something she really likes....Watch Out! The music you have chosen wanders and has moments of excitement. You have done a great job of making them match.

My only suggestions would be this:

In the earlier parts of the show you have a frame that is more of a lighter pink type color. It struck me as being out of place. The rest of your show features deeper reds and greens.

Towards the end I began to think I was getting tired of the spinning effect. That was just a personal observation.

Regardless of what I think; it was simply a fabulous show and I am glad you shared it.

Mark

Hunny B

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:19 am

I have to say that when I took these pics and edited them last year, I didn't take care in cropping them the way I do now. A few months ago, I started cropping all my images in 6x8 or 8X6 dimensions for my shows to be consistant and to take better advantage of templates if I wanted.

There will always be some images that are shot in portrait mode, hence the space on the sides. If they were zoomed in to cover the screen, then much of the image would be chopped off on the top and bottom or it would have to be panned a lot. Many of the images are not on screen long enough to do that without making the viewer dizzier than I probably already am making them with the current state of movement. So it's a personal judgement call I think.

Perhaps a double portrait mask might look better but only if I have two images I can put up at the same time I think.

To put a background on all portrait images could make things a bit too busy. I puposefully reserved most of the "lighted" backgrounds for the Christmas crafts, not for the fall craft item images. Maybe consistant outlining and some more movement of those would help. Some are only on-screen for 1 second.

The original version has a lot of rotated or panned images with black spaces here and there - not as nice at all I think as the updated one.

Good to get your input HunnyB. Nothing wrong with that as it makes me go back to see if I can make it better.

Debbie

Soooo, not snappy enough for ya eh? - OK OK!!!!

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:22 am

For those of you wanting SNAPPIER - you're right. It needed to move along faster. I just reworked the show, added some keyframes changed some transitions and timing - almost finished. I'll change the link and repost to let you know when I'm done with it.

Debbie
Last edited by debngar on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostdutchman

Postby lostdutchman » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:12 pm

Debbie,

Wonderful show. Its a good thing that I left my money at home before taking this tour through the faire--I would have bought too much!
Ken

New Link Above To Revised Link

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:22 pm

See the edited show link above.

Debbie

Hot Diggity Dog - Yeah!

Postby alcain » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:07 pm

Yes Yes Yes! I give you four stars for that revision!

(Mark will probably hate it now that the images 'bounce' with the music), but ya' know what?,
This show is HOT! I hope you don't mind, but I saved a copy of the .px to look at again and again.

Debbie, I hope you didn't mind my previous comments about matching the images to the
beat of the music, but with the changes you have made, I do agree with Mark on one point...

This is one of the best shows of the year!

Congratulations.

Your friend always, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Al

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:25 pm

I don't mind at all. That's what we are all here for - to help put a better spin on things if/when we get stuck.

I guess I was stuck on slooooow... :lol:

Debbie

Postby alcain » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I guess I was stuck on slooooow...

I love it a lot better, but the question is.. are YOU happy with it now?

Blessings, ~al

Mark

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Glad you liked the show. I couldn't resist stepping it up a bit and decided to revise it. I left some wandering parts in the show though.

I don't know about a pink colored frame but I took one of the larger red ones out and made sure that all the red's matched - of the backgrounds that were red (those slides had black masks to reveal the red background) and the red vignette (smaller outline) frames.

I also composited two portrait image slides near the very beginning into one with lights in the background using a plasma mask. I'm really happy with how that one came out because I don't think you can really tell they are two images. The combination of the two actually gives the viewer a nice panorama of the area as it was just inside the doorway with the Santa pointing the way and the grandmother and grandson walking into the room.

The music is David Foster's "The Christmas Album"- Carol of the Bells.

Thanks.

Debbie

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:51 pm

but the question is.. are YOU happy with it now?

YES!!!! :D

Debbie

Next

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback