Masking in the Son Light

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby Brenda » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:38 pm

Excellent show very well thought out and put together. Well done.

Brenda

Valued Member

Postby dajon0510 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:49 pm

glad the good guys win some of the times!!!
nice show
good begining.....tied it all together with a even better ending
thanks
David

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Jeffery » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:30 am

Hello Barbara
That was truly a fantastic show. You have a very good control of this program, I wish I did! Well done Barbara, and thank you.

With kind regards
Jeffery
13 January 2008

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius Chinese philosopher (551 BC - 479 BC)

Re: Masking in the Son Light

Postby im42n8 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:10 am

Barbara,

Interesting show! It does show that masks have been mastered ... and keyframing along the way too! I thought it was a pretty creative show ... and a good one at that! What's next?!

Dale

Postby jeanc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:15 am

Barbara, WOW! Such great creativity. Wish I had half as much as you. Really enjoyed the show and what a handsome son you have. Looks like his mom.

Smiles,
Jean

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:12 am

Mona-- Yes, I knew the meaning of Ben. Doesn't the full name mean something like "son of the right hand"? And also yes, in regard to your sense of intimacy. I tend to pry with my camera, always looking for a glimpse of something that only a camera can catch and hold. However, Ben is the least camera-shy person I know, and I can direct him as if he were an actor. If I give him an emotion to express, he does it perfectly. I ought to hire him out to photographers and make a mint.

Don--that candle and the match that lit it must have taken at least 50 photos to get. I could either meter for the fire or for the candle, but not for both. Eventually I realized how stupid I was being. I put my camera on total manual, photographed the candle stick, then photographed the fire, and finally put them together in Photoshop. Once I had my fire looking like fire, I then went batty trying to get that last slide so Ben faded out, then the candle faded out. I could NOT get an alpha mask to do it at all and had to resort to grayscale.

Paul--I discarded a lot of masks once I realized I was reacting to them with, "Boy, is that ever cool!" It's a sign that the technique just might be over the top.

Everyone--It pleases me so much that you've all enjoyed the show. For me, I'm relieved that it's finally done. The roots of it have been sitting on my computer for months because I wanted to do it, and at the same time, I wanted to avoid it. In psychology, I believe they call this an approach/avoidance dilemma. Leave it to psychologists to come up with a lofty sounding term for something we've all experienced: Wanna do it but it scares me. :D

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:33 am

BarbaraC wrote:Doesn't the full name mean something like "son of the right hand"?

If you mean Benjamin - yes, it means that.
But the word "ben" is a standalone word, a common noun, and it has actually 2 meanings: (a)son, and (b) a boy or a male child.
In any case, your Ben is quite a handsome man. :wink:

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:38 am

Oh, Mona, you certainly know the way to this mother's heart. :D

Is it true that the Arabic version of "ben" is "bin"? Come to think of it, there is likely a version of this in various languages. For instance, many English and Nordic names end in "son."

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:49 am

I don't know Arabic, but that much I know too. Bin equals Ben.

Postby HunnyB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:54 am

WOW, WOW, WOW.
What a fabulous show to watch.
You have certainly mastered masks.
Everything was perfect.
Your son is very handsome.
Every photo and what you did to it was fantastic!!!
My favorite favorite part was the end - blowing out the candle.
Nice touch!!!!! And brilliant creative thinking.

Barbara, not sure if you read my post about the Disney music or not,
but I have all I need. Thanks so much for responding and helping me.

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby debngar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Barbara,

I posted a reply to your show but it was eaten up again.... Argh. :shock:

I loved the show - my favorite of all of yours for now. The images of your son are awesome and mysterious and the way you used the masks to reveal your images magnified all of that very nicely.

I keep forgetting that we can move the mask to reveal what's behind it instead of just moving the images themselves!

I discarded a lot of masks once I realized I was reacting to them with, "Boy, is that ever cool!" It's a sign that the technique just might be over the top.

Wahhh, I would like to have seen examples of what you thought would have been "over the top". Maybe in another show?

The opening match segment was great. The closing segment one was perfect to bring everthing around full circle.

Loved it all Barbara. Can't wait to see what you surprise us with next!

Debbie

Postby wyomingwiseman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:11 pm

As they used to say on "Wayne's World" on SNL - "I'm not worthy - I'm not worthy" !!! Just fantastic Barbara. Not only did I just get how talented you are as a photographer (since I am new to this site); but your abilities to use the PSP program far exceeds what I will ever be able to do. A compelling show all around. Don't stop working magic with your talents. Can't wait to see what you do next. :shock:

Greg
Wyomingwiseman

Awesome!

Postby SandyB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Barbara,
Truly a work of art by someone who can use Producer to create the effects one imagines.
Your son has your eyes - intense.
In awe,
Sandy
Connecting Who You Are With What You Love To Do

Postby debngar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:34 am

Barbara,

Your match effect was so very good. So good in fact that I thought at first for a moment that part of it was actual video. But after viewing it a half a dozen + more times I decided it was a still to which you applied animation in Producer.

I tried that effect back in March last year. It turned out so so, but not as nice as yours.

I think I'll be putting that on my list as something to go back to and re-shoot and re-create so as to have in my list of special effects.

Also loved the music which I didn't comment on previously.

You never said whether Ben has seen this and/or whether he liked/disliked it. I'm curious as to how it was received by him if you showed it to him.

Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:22 am

HunnyB, Debbie, Greg, Sandy--I'm sitting here with that wide grin you see in my avatar. Thank you so much for watching and enjoying it as you did.

Debbie, I'm going to take a look back out how I created the match effect, and if I see any good clues in it, I'll let you know what they are. I'm perfectly capable of not only forgetting how I've done something, but then having a difficult time figuring it out by just looking at it. I hope it won't be the case here.

As for my son watching the show... Yes, I left it ready to play on my computer screen, told him it was there, and then went off to pull laundry out of the dryer. When I came back into the room, he was sitting with elbows on knees, face in hands, totally absorbed in the show. When the show ended, he said very simply, "Nicely done." I was a bit taken aback until I realized he understood that the show was really more about me than it was him, that it was all about the fact that I love him. Can't criticize love.

Barbara

P.S. to Debbie: I've placed Notepad on my task bar so that when the forum goes to that dreaded screen, I can hit the Back button and then copy and paste to a Notepad file that I place on my desktop. Then when I come back later, I can copy and paste back into a reply post.

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback