can't install Presenter plug-in

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

can't install Presenter plug-in

Postby oldtap » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:05 am

As of yesterday A.M I have not been able to view any of the shows in the sample shows and feedback of the forum. When I clicked on a show to view yesterday a pop-up said I needed the Presenter plug-in to view the show so I clicked on the window to download the plug-in ,which it did, then I clicked on the download to install. After the installer was done a window popped up saying to click on the window to view the show, which I did and the original window popped up telling me to install the plug-in. I went through the same process again and got the same result. I temporarily disabled my Kasperskey security but that made no difference. I use Google Chrome as a browser and have Windows 7 OS. I have two other computers both XP using Chrome as a browser and Presenter installed fine on both. The only difference I could see was the XP computers showed Presenter as an upgrade and the Windows 7 computer didn't, just said I needed to install the plug-in. I have contacted support but they haven't replied yet so I wondered if in the meantime there was someone who may be able to shed some light on what may be going on. I hope I have explained everything clearly.
Thanks,
Doug.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: can't install Presenter plug-in

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:46 pm

I have an XP operating system computer and just checked to see what might be happening with Presenter. When I went to my Photodex file-sharing page I recieved a message that said a new version of Presenter was available and would I like to install. I said yes and clicked the installation download box.

The installation proceded normally and finally asked me to shut down my internet browser so it could complete the final steps of the installation process. I shut down Firefox and the installation completed after which I re-opened the browser and selected my Photodex file sharing web site once again. Clicking on one of my shows . . . I find that the show plays normally just as it did before.

I have no idea why you cannot get the newest Presenter plug-in to install properly but you might try completly "un-installing" your Presenter plug-in using the "add/remove" function on your Control Panel. After this has been completed attempt a "clean installation" of the Presenter plug-in directly from the Photodex web site: http://www.photodex.com/proshow/plugins and see if this works :wink:

Dan
Last edited by pilotdan63 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby oldtap » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 am

Thanks Dan,
I tried the uninstall as you suggested but I still cannot get Presenter to install. I will keep trying though and perhaps support will finally respond and I can get my daily fix of sample shows.
Thanks again,
Doug.

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:27 am

Doug,
I think that there is a misunderstanding here.
In the post above, Dan suggested that you install Presenter as a regular program, with no relation to Firefox.
For this you need to download the Presenter exe file from Photodex. Save it on your computer.
Remove Presenter from Windows > Add/Remove Programs
Next, double click on the exe file that you saved on your computer, and let Windows install it, like it installs any new program.
After the installation, the program should function in Firefox, as well as in any other browser.

Here is a better explanation provided by Photodex:
http://kb.photodex.com/591/downloading- ... presenter/

Postby oldtap » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:52 am

Hi cherub,
I have followed each step as you described a number of times with the same result each time. After presenter appears to install I click on the link to a show and a pop-up tells me I need the presenter plug-in to see the show and the whole process begins again.
Thank you so much for responding,
Doug

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:09 am

Not sure where you are in the world, but here in the US, it is a 4 day holiday for most people, so you probably will not hear back from support until Monday (that would be my guess anyway). It certainly sounds like something is confused on your machine - do you have any .px files on your machine (that is what presenter plays) that you can try playing just to make sure it is not somehow network related ? If you don't have one on your machine somewhere, you can easily create one - just create a short sample show of some sort and under the "Publish" tab, select "Proshow Presenter" as the output format. It will ask you where to save the file (desktop is fine). You can then see if you can play that one by double clicking it.

After creating the simple show on your desktop, double clicking it should play. You can also try RIGHT clicking it and select "Open with ... " - on my system, it suggests Presenter as the player. See if that works for you.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:05 pm

I had an issue watching shows when I installed a newer version of Presenter about two weeks ago. My OS is W7 and I use Chrome as my browser. When the update was completed and I went to watch shows, they would frequently stutter.

I ended up uninstalling presenter. I deleted the exe from my download folder and then downloaded it again from the Photodex website. Once the download was complete, and it was time to install it, I closed my email client and my browser. After the install had completed, I brought my browser up, and watched a show that now played flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

Kathy

Postby oldtap » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:06 am

Hi Mikey,
Thanks for the response. I did forget about the holiday in the States. Here in the frozen north our thanksgiving was a month ago. Presently enjoying??? our first snowfall of the year.
I made a sample show as you suggested and it played fine, however the HTML file would not play, just the pop-up saying I needed the presenter plug-in to play the show. Would that mean my web browser is denying me access to the shows and would I have to disable it as stickgirl suggested? I feel I have to tell you I am a complete noob with Proshow and definitely not a geek so any explanations would have to be in one syllable words. I appreciate the help I have received so far.
Thanks, Doug

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah, if the .px file you created played fine but the html would not play it, that tells me the web browser is somehow confused. I'm not sure how you "un-confuse" the browser, but at least we have an idea where the problem is. I have not used Chrome, so I'm not sure just where to look there - in FireFox, under Tools -> Add-ons --> Plugins is where you find it listed and I see an option to disable it, but not un-install it. You could try re-installing Chrome, but that does seem a bit drastic (make sure you back up your bookmarks first) or wait and see if support can help you tomorrow.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby oldtap » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi Dan,Cherub,Mikey and stickgirl,
Thank you all for your help. I managed to solve my problem by uninstalling Chrome and using Internet Explorer for the time being. I can get my daily sample show fix while trying to get enough courage to upload a show and get your comments.
Thanks again,
Doug.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Doug . . . who would have thought that Google's Internet Chrome browser could be the culpret. I'm glad to hear you have been able to figure out your Presenter problem :-)

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Scattered here and there, I've come across people who've had problems with Chrome. It's possible that it just hasn't quite matured yet.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:22 am

Well, here we are 3 years later and the original problem in the first post still exists. I use Chrome, and wanted to play some old shows I haven't viewed in my Gallery for some time. What happened is exactly as the original poster stated. Press play, little window pops up, says install presenter click here. I click and presenter installs. Press play again, says to install presenter. Vicious loop. Sooo, I uninstall presenter. Download the presenter file, and install presenter as a program. It installs. Open Chrome, click play, and that blasted window pops up again telling me to install presenter. Guess I am just going to have to use explorer as the original poster did just to view old shows. Oh well.

Ben
Last edited by hardsoftware on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:31 am

Ben, this is only a suggestion, but perhaps you might want to install Firefox and make it your default browser. I say this because I've discovered people elsewhere having plugin problems with Chrome, and in things not in the least related to ProShow. It seems to have something to do with using the 64-bit version of Chrome, which has dropped support for 32-bit plugins. I could swear I saw a workaround for the Presenter problem, but sometimes the memory of one thing seeps into a place where it doesn't belong. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby dsprincis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:20 am

Next

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting