"ProShow has stopped working"

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Re: "ProShow has stopped working"

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Sometimes ... it's just the "simple" things that resolve things for us. This PHD file seems to get "corrupted" ... often.

Glad it worked out for you.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Mark-O » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:38 am

Yes, the frustrating part of this is I was able to easily create and burn a DVD with a menu over Thanksgiving weekend.
3 weeks later using similar steps to create a new family vacation DVD ProShow would stop working.
Maybe we are taking too many vacations...........
Cheers.
Mark

Postby HelenG » Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 am

im42n8 wrote:Hmmm. When was the last time you deleted the proshow.phd file?

Rename it at the very least (and force Proshow to recreate it) and then try. If the program is failing in multiple various places (that is, not consistently in any location in particular), it "might" be something associated with the program.

You might want to reinstall the Program too ... you never know, especially when you're grasping for straws as the cause ... and there's no particular location in the program to point to as a potential cause of the crash. That may mean a corrupted database or other corruptions (unspecified). So, start with the simple stuff and then reinstall (first over the original installation and then, if you have to, in a clean install folder).

Well, good luck!

Dale

My ProShow Gold 8 stopped working - yesterday & today. Click on something? BAM! It closed. So, having found this troubleshooting thread this morning, I reinstalled into a differently named folder, and now it seems to be working again. MY QUESTION ... what do I do with the previous folder (which I also renamed)? Should I delete it? All the shortcuts seem linked to the reinstall. There is only ONE ProShow Gold showing in my Programs & Features (where I would otherwise uninstall). Next I will try to update the FXs I assume are not on the reinstall. Thanks, ~Helen~

Postby im42n8 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 am

It's likely that you're database was corrupted. That's why the reinstall is working for you: corrupted files don't exist with the new installation. You can copy files from one folder to the other. For instance, go into your NEW installation and rename your "proshow.cfg" to "proshow.cfg_ref" (or something like that). Then copy the proshow.cfg from the original installation folder into the NEW installation's folder. Run the newly installed version of the program. Does it work well? If so, great. You can test each of your files accordingly. If you get something that doesn't work, delete it and rename the original file to its original name.

In the future, you might just rename each one of the suspected offending files. The usual culprits: proshow.phd or proshow.cfg (tho the latter is usually NOT involved, it can, under certain circumstanced be compromised. The proshow.cfg file is by far the most likely suspect. Now and then, the culprit will be the cache file for the show. It has the same name as your show but will have extension: pxc. Delete that file and the program will regenerate it (it's sort of like a transcode file for programs like a non-linear editor (as in, video). It does a kind of "compile" of the media in the show and allows the slideshow to run faster... well, more or less that's the explanation). When ProShow is executed the next time, it will find the renamed file is "missing" and will regenerate it on the fly.

The short answer for your question, however, would be to simply delete it since it's no longer needed.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: grid missing ... ?

Postby HelenG » Thu May 11, 2017 4:47 am

Thank you, Dale. Now, I notice that the 'grid' in the 'adjust it, etc' window is missing from the reinstalled program. I can't find where to add it. ?? Thanks in advance.

Previous

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting