DESPERATE! Need your expert advice ASAP

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
koryne

DESPERATE! Need your expert advice ASAP

Postby koryne » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:51 pm

:?

I need serious help reinstalling PSG. I was in the middle of working on my grandmothers 80th bday slide show (in 2 SHORT weeks!) and had to reinstall it because it kept freezing up. So now when I put in disk in, it won't even recognize that its in there, or any other disk/dvd for that matter! Tried to go into control panel and add program through there but the pop up message just said to windows unable to find installation program, click to find manually. I need help please! This is the first time I've encountered any problems at all in 3-4 years I've been using it so I'm really freaking out. And I don't have much time left so any and all help is really appreciated.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby Brenda » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Sounds as if your DVD drive is not working. Have you tried downloading PSG from the Photodex
site and then install the programme? The latest build for V.3 is 2015.

If you are using an earlier version, this link lists them all and you can download yours.

http://www.photodex.com/downloads/archive_proshow.html

Hope this helps...good luck

Brenda

koryne

Postby koryne » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:48 am

Ok I tried that, but now it has that banner across saying that its an evaluation copy and when I plug in my key it says its a newer version (I brought the 2.5 version). Shouldn't I be able to download the 3.0 version, because its still within the 1 year free upgrade?

By the way, anyone know how to get my cd/dvd drive to work again? I don't have the slightest idea what went wrong. I rarely use the dang thing but the last thing I uploaded last week was Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5 and thats when everything started going crazy.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby Brenda » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:59 am

This the Photodex UpgradePolicy: http://www.photodex.com/support/service/upgrades.html

Read, at the bottom of the page,"Upgrade To A New Version".
(Maybe, you downloaded from the wrong option). If this doesn't work, email Photodex or give them a
call. Also look at all the other info. on this page.

Sorry, I'm not able to help re your dvd drive..hopefully someone else will jump in here.

Brenda

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:43 am

koryne wrote:Ok I tried that, but now it has that banner across saying that its an evaluation copy and when I plug in my key it says its a newer version (I brought the 2.5 version). Shouldn't I be able to download the 3.0 version, because its still within the 1 year free upgrade?

By the way, anyone know how to get my cd/dvd drive to work again? I don't have the slightest idea what went wrong. I rarely use the dang thing but the last thing I uploaded last week was Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5 and thats when everything started going crazy.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

OK, there are two different problems here that need to be worked.

1) getting the current version to work. If you are indeed within your 1 year of purchase
of PSG, then according to Photodex, you are entitled to the upgrade to the current verson.
In that case, I would do two things - make a copy of the show.psh file as it is now
so you have a current copy for the old version (just label it like myshow_v25.psh) then
go ahead and work on it with the current version that shows the "evaluation banner" -
when they give you a new key, that banner will go away and they should be able to
do that probably Monday.

2) The CD/DVD drive - need some more info here - what OS are you using ? XP?
The following is for XP - any other version and the details will vary,but the idea is there.
Look at "My Computer" - is the DVD drive listed there ? If not, then windows does NOT
know the drive exists. If it does, RIGHT click "my computer" select "Properties" then
the "Hardware" tab. Click the "Device Manager" button. Click the "DVD/CD-ROM drives"
entry to expand it. Does it list your DVD drive there? If yes, double click the drive
and see what it says - it should indicate "this device is working correctly".

Let us know what you find this way and we can go from here - my first guess is
the drive may have died although why it would be related to installing Roxio I
don't know (one thing to be aware of, there have been a number of people with
strange interactions with Roxio and other programs - video editors etc so I would
not rule it out, but first, we need to determine if windows can see the drive).

I assume you have tried rebooting ? (amazing how many times after looking at
things, you find a reboot cures it - I was used to win 3.1,95 and 98 where you didn't
have to ask that question -- they crashed often enough to make it a non issue :D )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting