DVD writing problem

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

DVD writing problem

Postby foggy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:45 pm

I have been trying to write my first 'reasonable' length show to DVD (around 45 minutes in total).
The progress window shows 'creating disc image - this may take a few moments' then stays there for 3 and half hours. When I checked the task manager it was shown as not responding.
Can I assume that it is my PC not up to the job or could it be another problem that I should look into?
I have tried twice with the same results each time.
Is there a trick or tip for writing a DVD (containing 3 shows) of this size?
Is there a minimum spec. for a PC to be able to cope?

Re: DVD writing problem

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:07 am

It is hard to say exactly what is going on, but what many of us do (and even Photodex suggests it) is to break it into two parts - instead of trying to burn direct to a dvd, create an ISO file of the show then use the free Imgburn utility to burn from that ISO to a DVD. To create the ISO file, when you get to the part where you select your burner, one of the options is to create an image file (see the screenshot below). Select that - you will be asked where to put the image file - select a location and name the file as appropriate. When it is done creating the ISO file, you can then use Imgburn to burn as many DVDs as you want from that file. Doing it that way also has the advantage of splitting the process so you can tell if you are having a problem creating the show image or in the burn. If it fails to create the ISO, then we know there is a problem in the show, not with the burning portion.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: DVD writing problem

Postby MichaelD » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:34 pm

Many thanks for this tip, mikey. I had the same problem - trying to burn to DVD a project containing 5 shows, PSP 6 would freeze somewhere during the burn process, and I then had to kill PSP from Windows, throw away a partially written DVD, and try again. I then found your recommendation to create an ISO file and then use imgburn and this worked first time! There was one anomaly which caused me concern and that was that imgburn displayed a total time of about 380 minutes, which is rubbish and, of course, way more than would fit on a single DVD. But the burn and verify went through OK and the resultant DVD plays fine in my DVD player.
Mike

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting