Flattening Tex Layer in PSP

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Flattening Tex Layer in PSP

Postby RALC » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:43 am

I have 9 text layers, each with a letter in, each letter is a different font size. When displayed, all 9 layers appear as one, but don't move as one. I need to flatten all 9 layers to make just one text layer. Can anyone help please, Thanks. Ruari

Re: Flattening Tex Layer in PSP

Postby cherub » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:58 am

Hi,
There is no option to "flatten" layers in ProShow, either text layers or image layers.
You'll just have to choose one of those 9 layers, one that moves and looks in a way that you like, and simply write your whole text there.
In Text Settings, replace the one letter with the whole text.

But, just out of curiosity, how did it happen that you have a single letter in each layer?

Postby RALC » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:12 am

Thanks Mona
I suspected that would be the answer. The 9 text layers, when seen "flattened", show the word Gibraltar, in the same shape as the rock itself. Tall letter for the G and shorter letters, stepping down in height, to mimic the shape of the rock itself.
Again, many thanks for your prompt response. It is a pity that PSP titles don't accommodate different font sizes for individual letters at time of creation.
Cheers
Ruari

Postby cherub » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:18 am

Ah, sounds like an interesting effect.

In this case, perhaps it would be easier for you to create the text in a graphic editor first.
Use whatever fonts and sizes that you want, and save the file as a png with transparency.
Then insert it in Producer, on top of the image with the Gibraltar rock, and animate it as any other image.
But, of course, in this case, you will not be able to have any kind of animation on the individual letter.

Postby Astra » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:32 am

Ruari,
.... there could be a "work-around" solution - "kind-of-flattening" - of all your 9 letters together:

.... just reminder: Copy the slide with your letters - and work with the copy of it...... it pays not to work with original - especially, when trying new things for the first time....
0: ... so far it worked for me - best with BLACK background (with no image behind it)
1: Convert each letter (one by one) to a Layer
2: in "PUBLISH" menu: - pick: "Still Frame Caption" ==> "Capture Current Frame" ==> Output: "PNG" ... must be "Png" file, so your background will be later transparent
3: Save this PNG file
4: Insert this PNG file into a new slide in your slideshow
5: in "Adjustments" pulldown - in "Editing Tools" ==> pick "Chroma Key"
6: In "Edit" in Chroma Key ==> change slightly value (single digit) in: "Intensity Threshold" + "Intensity Drop Off" ... you have to play with it - not to loose the visibility later in the slide
7: Insert any Image as Background in this new slide with Text - (put this Image layer under your converted Text)
8: Then - if needed - in "Adjustments" - you could make your layer with your "Combined Text": Sharper, Brighter, of more Saturated.

Let us know, if it was working ...
Alex/Astra

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:32 am

Hello

Depending the movement you want, it is possible to create another transparent layer and to link each text caption or layer (each letter in you case) Pan X and/or Y with a modifier to it (solution given by Jeep).

The transparent layer will have the mouvement needed and will be the locomotive to track all the letters.
Chris Marie

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:41 am

And still another method, depending on the effect you want:

Hide all image layers, leaving just the letters on the screen. Make sure all the letters are white. Right click the main preview and choose Capture Frame, saving it to whatever folder you're working out of. Add the captured image as layer 1 in your slide. Add a solid, gradient, or any image you want beneath layer 1. Set layer 1 as a grayscale mask. Not only will all your text be there, but you can delete all the original single-letter captions because you now have a mask, which is the single layer you're wishing for.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Marie78 wrote:Hello

Depending the movement you want, it is possible to create another transparent layer and to link each text caption or layer (each letter in you case) Pan X and/or Y with a modifier to it (solution given by Jeep).
The transparent layer will have the mouvement needed and will be the locomotive to track all the letters.

Yes, I think this might work rather nicely. I forgot about this method.
No need to credit Jeep though. We've been using this for years, ever since modifiers were added to Producer.

Postby RALC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am

Hi Cherub
Linking he text layers to a blank transparent text layer, and having that blank text layer do the motion, seems a good compromise.
But how do I link the 9 text layers to this new blank transparent layer?
I've fiddled all day but with no joy. Hope you can help and thanks to all the other advisers too.
Ruari

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:30 am

Ruari, the linking is done using modifiers, which are a bit of a study in themselves. Unfortunately, Photodex hasn't documented them well at all, but Dale has extensive tutorials on them here: http://fenimorephotovideos.com/Tutorials.html

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:32 am

RALC wrote:Hi Cherub
Linking the text layers to a blank transparent text layer, and having that blank text layer do the motion, seems a good compromise.
But how do I link the 9 text layers to this new blank transparent layer?
I've fiddled all day but with no joy. Hope you can help and thanks to all the other advisers too.
Ruari

Well, yes, modifiers are not so simple. Once Photodex described them as "not for the faint of heart".
I wouldn't put it quite that way, because it is possible to use modifiers without understanding anything at all, just by doing what you are being told to do, and progressing slowly to the more advanced features later.
One of the most basic functions of the modifiers is the "follow the master effect", and this is what you need here. I think you'll find a tutorial by Jennifer, in the tutorials section of the forum. Not exactly what you need, but enough to get you started.

So here is how to go about it, in your case:
Insert a solid color as a new layer. You may choose red if you like. Name this layer "Master". You may drag it to the very bottom of your stack of layers.
Now, select your first text layer, and RIGHT CLICK on the Pan X value. From the menu that opens choose Add Modifier.
In "Selected Action Settings", click on "Variable Amount Using" and select "Pan X".
From Layer - Select the layer that you named "Master". Leave everything else as is.

Now, do the same for Pan Y of the same text layer.
Just make sure that now, instead of what you did before, you must RIGHT click and choose "Pan Y".

Just to see what you are doing, notice that there are now two little red dots next to the pan values of your first text layer.
If you insert some pan values in your Master layer, you will see that your text layer moves together with it either to the left/right or up and down. It follows the master.

You must repeat this for every one of your 9 text layers.
If you want to include tilting effects or Rotation effects, then you must create modifiers of this kind for those values too. Just make sure that when you select the value, you select the correct motion as well.

It's a very tedious and repetitive action, but it's very powerful and useful.
So, if you only do pan values, in your case of 9 text layers, you will have a total of 18 modifiers.

Your next step is to create the correct keyframes (motion effects) for your Master layer, that will be followed automatically now by your all other text layers.

If you do have tilting or rotation values too, then one thing to pay attention to, is the Rotation center. It's hard for me to envision your effect, but does the rock itself turn somehow too? or just pans?
Anyway, I'm not going to explain the Rotation Center here too. For now, this short tutorial should be enough, I think.

Now, about that "hidden" layer part.
If you place your Master layer under the picture, and the picture covers it completely, you don't need to hide the layer.
If it is visible, then you must hide it. (opacity =0)

Hope this method works for you.
Last edited by cherub on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby RALC » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi Cherub
Very many thanks for such detailed information. And thanks also to all the others who have chipped in with their own ideas and solutions. It is most rewarding to find others who are willing to pass on their knowledge and expertise to other PSP users.
In the end, I managed to work out how to do what I wanted, by creating a transparent slide in Adobe Photoshop and adding text, and fixing shape, colour, size, embellishments etc. I wanted, and saving it as a PSD file. Then it was just a case of adding that layer and moving it in and out as needed.
Ironically that was the road I went down to start with, and one who had suggested early on, but couldn't work out how to add the embellishments needed.
So all is now fine and "Gibraltar" title runs great.
Again very many thanks to all.
Ruari

Postby cherub » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:25 pm

I'm glad that you've found a solution that works for you, even if we came full circle from where we started at first. :D
You'll find that it's better to save your PSD files as png files with transparency. They are smaller in size usually, and easier to manipulate in Producer.

Postby Astra » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:38 am

Ralc/Ruari,
glad it worked.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting