Where is the Favorites Styles List stored

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Where is the Favorites Styles List stored

Postby bwamback » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:35 pm

I have installed Proshow Producer 7 on my Desk Top & my Lap Top recently. I was out of town with my Lap Top and organized my Favorite Style Category list. How do I move the Favorite Style Category list from my Lap Top to my Desk top now that I am home?

Re: Where is the Favorites Styles List stored

Postby cherub » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

"Favorites" is just like any other effect "Category" in the program.
Categories don't create any physical folders/directories on your computer, so they cannot be moved separately from one place to another.
All the information of each effect (style or transition) is stored inside the file itself. Kind of like an attribute of the file, if you wish.
That is how a style/transition can belong to several "categories" at the same time.

The only way I can think of, is by first exporting the styles in the category "Favorites" to a new folder on your laptop, and then re-importing (adding) them as a group to your desktop, thus overwriting the existing styles.
But I'm not quite so sure if it's worthwhile for you to go through all this procedure, just to copy Favorites from one computer to another.
Could be that you can accomplish the same thing by just adding those styles manually to Favorites, on your desktop too.
The categories of effects are not important at all. You can transfer a show from one computer to the other, no matter what categories your styles belong to.

Let me know if you wish me to give you exact instructions on how to Export, and then how to Add styles from one computer to the other.

Postby bwamback » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:53 am

Thanks for your response, I thought that may be the case. I was hopping there was a simple way to keep the 2 PC in sync. I will manually set up the Favorites on my desk top pc. I am ok with moving the styles from one computer to another.

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:57 am

OK, after a bit more research, it seems that the way things work is that the style is initially installed under the Program Files path, however, if you modify a style or add a category to it for example, the new version gets copied to the ProgramData path. Favorites are treated a bit different - the styles that are "Favorites" are listed in the file C:\ProgramData\Photodex\ProShow Producer\stylefavorites.def and you should be able to copy that file between the two machines and have the "Favorites" then match between the two machines (the stylefavorites.def file appears to just be a text file you can view in a text editor if you want).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby bwamback » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Coping that file from one PC to the other worked great. That will make it simple to keep the 2 PC's in Sync. Looks like there are other files in that directory that will be useful as well.

Thanks

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Glad it worked for you :D

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby cherub » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:00 pm

Mikey,
So, you did research this :D
I guess I didn't see that file because I don't have any favorites.
I love all my children equally :D
Last edited by cherub on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 pm

Yeah, I did ask our buddy. One thing I really miss in windows is my favorite unix command - "find / -mtime -60 - type f -print" which would find all files starting at the top level modified in the last 60 minutes of type file (skips folders). Then a quick look through that list will usually find the file in question (this is after doing something you expect to modify a file somewhere).

mikey

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting