Fading sound in Show

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Fading sound in Show

Postby mrsmac » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:20 pm

I put together results for a local camera club. To do that, the pics are put in with accompanying individual audio files matching the slide. I have had no problems until recently when in this particular show, the audio faded considerably towards the end of some the slides. When I looked at the Manage Soundtrack dialogue box, I could see no problems or differences in settings from previous successfully produced shows.
When I played the audio file in Preview in Sound Management, there was no drop-off in volume, but when I played it in the Show - there is!

Any clues? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help in this - I don't like making public mistakes like this (ie with 40 people all hearing my 'Stuff-up')!

Re: Fading sound in Show

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:37 pm

I have not run into that, however a couple of things - what version of Producer are you running? I assume your audio is all on the main track not attached to the individual slides correct? Is there anything attached (audio) to the individual slides (in particular the ones where the fading is happening)? You don't have any volume control points added on the main track do you? Sorry I'm not much help here, but that is all that comes to mind since I have not run into that before.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby mrsmac » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Producer 7.0.3527. The audio is all on the main track. So I had better work out how to attach the individual audio to the individual slide? There is nothing attached to the individual slides as far as I know, nor any volume control points - but then something is causing the fading.
Where do you suggest I go to get some more info about sound/volume controls. I have a couple of books on ProShow - but couldn't find much there to help me.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:16 pm

You don't say where you are, but if in the states, give Proshow support a call. They are usually quite helpful. One thing you might try - in the directory your show is in, there are a number of files - showname.psh (which is your main show description file and what you create in Producer) and showname.pxc (this is a partially rendered sort of file with stuff in it that Producer uses when working with the show). That file can get corrupted with some very strange results. Try exiting Producer then delete the .pxc file for the show (NOT the .psh file!!!) then re-open Producer and open your show. See if that changes anything - I have seen some very odd things when that pxc file gets trashed (if it is deleted, Producer just rebuilds it again - it will take a few minutes).

As for more information, the pdf users manual actually has pretty good info. The things that I know that can cause the volume to "dip" are things like video files where normally they cause the main audio track to lower while playing (there are options in the slide the video is on to adjust that). Volume control points are added to the main track to adjust the volume - often used when you have a short voice over attached to a slide for example or just for leveling as needed.

As for your comment "I don't like making public mistakes like this (ie with 40 people all hearing my 'Stuff-up')!" - that is the way life is - you can do something that saves everybody from sure disaster and nobody sees you, step on a loose shoe lace and trip and EVERYBODY is watching :twisted:

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby mrsmac » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks again! I live in New Zealand - so probably a phone call isn't that practical for me.
I have been playing around with the settings in the 'Sync slide to audio' dialogue. I still can't get a perfect result, but it is not too bad. I will certainly look into your suggestions.

As for public mishaps - I see even the Pope has fallen over in public - I sympathise entirely, just the sort of thing I would do!

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:57 am

NZ - Beautiful country - my daughter was over there for a month or so with "studies abroad" and my wife went over and spent a week or so with her before they came home again. I can't think of a way your sound is fading without you having changed something. Is it just the one show or do you have that issue with any others? Something you might try - copy your .psh file for the show to a new name such as showname_TEST.psh and try editing that - start by deleting the audio track completely then add sound back in - does that change anything? You can also email Photodex support - they usually respond fairly soon. I just got back - we spent a couple of days wandering around Mt. Adams here in Washington state checking out the scenery and seeing if the huckleberries were getting ripe yet :D

mikey

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting