Why rendering the film takes a very long time?

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Why rendering the film takes a very long time?

Postby ProShowFan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:35 pm

Hello.
Despite strong PC configuration, the rendering process takes a long time. Even the shows that contain only images the process of creating a movie takes about two hours. How can that be? Can we speed this up? I use ProShow Producer 8.0

Re: Why rendering the film takes a very long time?

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:08 am

Rendering is a very processor intensive process and many factors influence how fast it goes. It depends on what output format you are using (what resolution/frame rate) as well as the number of images being processed (as well as how many layers/effects each slide has). Without knowing what settings and formats you are using, it is hard to say if there is an issue or it is just going to take that long. Video formats can be pretty tough on the number crunching.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby ProShowFan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:42 am

Hello again.
The entire show consists of 10 slides. Show time is 1 minutes, 41 seconds. The output format is MPEG-4 720 (HD) 30 fps High Quality. Previously, I was using ProShow Producer 7.0 and rendering took about 15 minutes, and now more than two hours. I wonder why.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:44 am

ProShowFan wrote:Hello again.
The entire show consists of 10 slides. Show time is 1 minutes, 41 seconds. The output format is MPEG-4 720 (HD) 30 fps High Quality. Previously, I was using ProShow Producer 7.0 and rendering took about 15 minutes, and now more than two hours. I wonder why.

it should not take that long. I use 720p mp4 fairly often and it is fairly quick (well much faster than what you are seeing). I will see if I can get a chance to try a couple of short shows today on my system and see what kinds of times I get.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 am

OK, I just did a quick test show on my system using version 8.0.3648 (the latest build) of Producer. I just used a bunch of images I had with reduced size (I resize to a different folder for emailing so they are all 1024px on the long side - resizing larger ones will take longer). 43 images, 1 min, 54 seconds, one downloaded audio track. Rendering to mp4 720p (HD), 30fps High Quality (Recommended) took almost exactly 1 minute. I'm running win7/64 with 12GB RAM (although Proshow is a 32 bit app so it can't use all that), i7-930 @ 2.8ghz

mikey

Postby ProShowFan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:34 am

Hello again.
Thank you for your help. Well you can see that my computer configuration can not meet the demands of ProShow Producer. I have Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2,2GHz and 4GB of RAM. I think I need to replace your computer for the better.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:35 am

Mine is actually getting fairly old but still works OK ( I built it up 5 or 6 years ago if I remember correctly). You should not be seeing that slow a render time. Are you using an external disk by any chance? How big are the images you are using in your test show? My little test show I just did only had one image per slide and standard a/b transitions. Some people can have 30 or more layers per slide with all sorts of things going on, but for the test, I kept it simple.

mikey

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:04 am

I just ran a second test using the full rez images which ranged from 1-16megs depending on the crop etc. 66 slides, 1 audio track, 2:58 long, render to 720p mp4 took 1 minute 30 seconds to create a 70+mb mp4 file.

Edit: If you are interested, here is the show on the sharing site (lower rez than 720, but same show)
http://www.photodex.com/share/gpsmikey/6p77wmg4

mikey

Postby ProShowFan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Hello again.
Of course, I saw your show and thank you for your interest in my problem. I spread my hands helplessly. In my show a slide 10, in which from 4 to 8 layers. So it is not no burden on the CPU. And I do not have the slightest idea what the problem is!
Sorry for my English, I know that is not the best ;)

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Your English is fine (I can understand you !). I'm not sure just what you are running into although the 4GB of ram seems small for win7/64. You might try sending support at Photodex a question listing your computer specs and what you are seeing. Unless you are using an external hard drive (which you didn't reply to my question about that), this has the feel of swapping where the process is running out of memory and starts swapping stuff to disk to effectively give itself more memory (but it is MUCH slower than RAM).

mikey

Postby ProShowFan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:38 pm

I do not use a removable disk when doing demonstrations. All files have on your hard drive. For a start I will do my RAM to my computer. If this does not work I'll have to buy a more powerful hardware. Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:39 am

Joseph,you have new message!

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting