Need help getting images to "dance" across multipl

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
JenniferAZ

Need help getting images to "dance" across multipl

Postby JenniferAZ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:36 am

Although I have used this forum as an amazing resource for some time now, I just joined... finally! :D

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am trying to create a flowing transition for some images of my son and his date "dancing". I did a photo shoot for them before their homecoming and captured a series of them dancing (where he is twirling her, etc.). What I am trying to do is start at the left and have the first image pan a little to the right and then slowly fade into the second image, and continue with the other images across the screen. I have been reading all about key frames (ugh!) then thought I should just try using motion with really slow transitions between the frames... anyway, I can't figure out how to do it and I am running out of time.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be greatly appreciate it. (If anyone has a few free minutes (ha!)...
I have uploaded the images I want to work with here http://www.jenniferjonesphoto.com/darkroom/share/?client/homecoming so you can see what I am talking about.
(These particular images were converted using an antique action so they are kind of funky!)

Thanks so much!
Jennifer

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 am

Jennifer, there are many here who most definitely have more experience and knowledge, but I know I can at least give you a shove in the right direction. By the sound of it, you won't like what I have to say, which is: use keyframes! I looked at your photos and they're perfect candidates for it.

I upgraded from Gold to Producer because of keyframes, and when I started trying to learn how they worked and how to control them, I thought I'd made a large mistake. Too complicated, too icky-picky, too confusing. Now it's just complicated, and the confusion only happens when I can't remember which keyframe I'm working on. How long did it take to go from total idiocy to actually understanding how I might get from A to Z? About three days.

Play like mad with keyframes. Break things. You can do it.

--Barbara

Postby rkligman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:07 am

Is this something like what you were thinking?

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=133307

Let me try and send you a template of it. Not sure what the capabilities of this forum are for sending files etc.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby rkligman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:16 am

You can download the template here: http://www.mycityphotoguide.com/downloads/twirl.zip

What I did was add a single keyframe to each slide. The point of the added keyframe was to stop the panning motion of the slide while the slide was 100% visible to the user. I.e., before the transistion begins to take place. You'll notice that the next slide starts in the same place but as it's fading in and the previous fading out, they begin to separate. That's because the new slide immediately begins it's movement from the moment it's active. To avoid that movement, add another keyframe to each slide after the first, set it on the start of the 100% visible portion of the slide, i.e., after the transistion in, and make sure that it has the same starting point as keyframe 1. This will then give you movement, a complete fade out and fade in of two slides in the exact same place, and then movement will resume. Good luck and make sure to post you final results.
Rick Insane Diego...

JenniferAZ

Postby JenniferAZ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks so much for your quick replies!

Barbara... I was afraid of that!! I have been chipping away at trying understand keyframes but I wasn't sure if that was the best option for what I wanted. (Clearly understating my ignorance of keyframes if I wasn't sure!!)

Rick... thank you so much for taking the time and effort to put together and example! That is very similar to what I was looking for and I had actually created something similar with my attempt to use keyframes, however, I didn't like how the images stopped before transitioning to the next image, so I thought I wasn't doing it right. I was hoping to have the images fade into each other without stopping as they "danced" across the screen. (I am creating it in wide screen, so there is more room to dance!)

Maybe there isn't a way to do it seamlessly. ???

Thanks again for your responses!!!

Jennifer

JenniferAZ

Postby JenniferAZ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:25 am

Oops... I must have replied at the same time you did, Rick! THANK YOU for the template! I will dig in and try to figure it out!

Postby czali » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:14 pm

Jeenifer,

You might want to work with the opacity to get the subtle effect you are going for. The images would in layers and the first would go from 100% to 0% slowly revealing the next. Does this make sense? You would have to make sure the images move together across the screen. You need keyframing, too. Sorry. Good Luck!

Colleen

JenniferAZ

Postby JenniferAZ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:29 pm

Colleen,
Do you mean creating movement with all of the images in one long slide using layers and keyframes as opposed to using individual slides with keyframes?
Thanks!
Jennifer

Postby czali » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Yes, that is what I mean. Each photo would be on top of each other and have the same movement across the screen. You would have to add keyframes under effects for the opacity. You could make it as slow or as fast as you like.

Colleen

Postby rkligman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:23 pm

JenniferAZ wrote:Thanks so much for your quick replies!

Barbara... I was afraid of that!! I have been chipping away at trying understand keyframes but I wasn't sure if that was the best option for what I wanted. (Clearly understating my ignorance of keyframes if I wasn't sure!!)

Rick... thank you so much for taking the time and effort to put together and example! That is very similar to what I was looking for and I had actually created something similar with my attempt to use keyframes, however, I didn't like how the images stopped before transitioning to the next image, so I thought I wasn't doing it right. I was hoping to have the images fade into each other without stopping as they "danced" across the screen. (I am creating it in wide screen, so there is more room to dance!)

Maybe there isn't a way to do it seamlessly. ???

Thanks again for your responses!!!

Jennifer

That shouldn't be a problem. All you need to do is match the start and ends. It should just take a couple of minutes to make that happen. Let me give it another wack.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby rkligman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:35 pm

Piece of cake, just like I thought. Check it out: http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=133307

Download the template here: http://www.mycityphotoguide.com/downloads/twirl2.zip

I ran out of screen so the 5th slide comes back but I'll let you make the adjustments.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby rkligman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:39 pm

I didn't need to get fancy and put everything in a single slide or generate tons of keyframes. Once additional keyframe per slide is all that is needed. I added a keyframe at the moment the slide starts it's transistion. Producer tells you the postion of the slide at that moment. All you need to do then is set the start of the next slide to those exct coordinates and your done. Worked exactly as I expected it to. OH, with one cavaet that I also expected. You have to set the motion to Linear. You need to have a consistent pan for each slide in order to get the panning in sync. If you leave it at Smooth, you'll have a problem.
Rick Insane Diego...

JenniferAZ

Postby JenniferAZ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:38 pm

Thank you so much Rick!

Just what I was trying to do.... Yea!

I'll play around with the end of the series and try to figure out a little more about keystrokes!

I will try to upload the finished product...

Thanks again!
Jennifer

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting