ProShow doesn't use all font varieties

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:21 am

Michael, I just added that link to my bookmarks for fonts. Thank you.

Barbara

Postby nannybear » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:28 am

http://magazinedesign.weblogsinc.com/20 ... -opentype/

Don't know if this helps or just makes more work for you, but maybe check it out.....cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:03 am

Hi BarbaraC,

I know you already mentioned this but just wanted to confirm it. Are all of your fonts in C:\windows\fonts when using WinXP's explorer to view? Sometimes fonts can be installed by different software into other folders but will still work with most software including font managers. It seems that Proshow will "only" look in the C:\windows\fonts folder to find fonts.

Grasping at straws,
Mike S.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 am

Jan, it's $97 for the "lite" version!

Mike, yes, they're in the fonts folder. The font manager I use can temporarily place fonts there, though it's only in the form of a link to where the fonts truly lie. This, however, is not the problem. It's the fonts that are actually stored in the fonts folder. (Big sigh.)

Barbara

skiyak

Postby skiyak » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:38 am

I also had a problem with fonts as I'm working with two machines right now XP and Vista, same version of Proshow. When I moved a psh over, I lost the font used. I checked the font folder and put the additional fonts on my Vista machine. It still did not give me the correct font and changed it to something else even though it's showing up in my font list. I can't remember what it was but I believe it was an older font. Rather than try and troubleshoot, I just deleted the font from my folder and used something similar. Not a solution, but I couldn't bother to go into it more but suspect it's an XP/Vista thing that's causing the problem.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:48 am

I also had a problem with fonts as I'm working with two machines right now XP and Vista, same version of Proshow. When I moved a psh over, I lost the font used. I checked the font folder and put the additional fonts on my Vista machine. It still did not give me the correct font and changed it to something else even though it's showing up in my font list.

I had the same problem, I moved a show over to my Vista machine and the Fonts were not the correct ones. They were missing in action. However I closed the show WITHOUT saving it, and moved the needed Fonts from my XP unit to my Vista Unit, Reopened the show again and bada bing bada boom the correct fonts were magically there in my show.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Ladybug

Barbara......any solutions yet?

Postby Ladybug » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:45 pm

I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy. :x I moved to a new computer, backed up all program files and restored to new computer. I use a "MyBook" external hard drive for all my shows, etc. I collected all files for each show before I made the move. (Why doesn't it collect 'font' files?)

When I downloaded new Producer to my new computer....it was a new version and I couldn't get it to work at all. Finally, the latest version works.....but you are RIGHT! All my font access is gone!!! There are only very basic, boring fonts...not even the Truetype fonts that I had. The exact same fonts that I have used through Gold, Producer 2.6 and Producer 3.xxxxxxx up to now, are missing!!! I am using Vista, but that hasn't been an issue with anything else.

I checked all my Font Folders, and the fonts are there, but Producer won't recognize. Who has the time for all the back and forth stuff when I had access to begin with? :roll: Wouldn't it be nice to easily add specific new fonts to Producer like drag and droping photos?

Have you received any solutions or ideas?

Thanks
Barb, too.

Ladybug

Postby Ladybug » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:51 pm

hardsoftware wrote:
I also had a problem with fonts as I'm working with two machines right now XP and Vista, same version of Proshow. When I moved a psh over, I lost the font used. I checked the font folder and put the additional fonts on my Vista machine. It still did not give me the correct font and changed it to something else even though it's showing up in my font list.

I had the same problem, I moved a show over to my Vista machine and the Fonts were not the correct ones. They were missing in action. However I closed the show WITHOUT saving it, and moved the needed Fonts from my XP unit to my Vista Unit, Reopened the show again and bada bing bada boom the correct fonts were magically there in my show.

Ben

Ben, please detail what you mean by exiting without saving and how that worked. I've gone from XP to VISTA, to another VISTA, to a new VISTA and have not had the problem until this latest version of Producer. See my other post above.

Thanks.
Barb

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:42 am

Barb,

Once I moved the show from my XP unit to my VISTA unit, I opened the show and immediatly saw that the Fonts that I had originally used were changed to ARIAL which just happens to be the first available font on the list. It did this because it couldn't find the ones I had originally used. I played the show and most of the fonts were incorrect. So I closed the show without saving it. I didn't want to save it with the replacement fonts.

Anyway after I closed the show, and Producer, I went to my XP unit and using one of those USB finger drives I copied all the fonts to it. Actually I had to copy the FONTS to my desktop first because I couldn't copy direct from the FONT folder direct to the USB device. After copying the fonts from desktop folder to the USB drive I then put the USB drive into my VISTA unit and moved the Fonts to the FONT folder. Of course I knew that I would have duplicates because of the ones already existing on the VISTA machine. When it asked me to overwrite the existing font I would just say no and let the others load until it finished.

Then I opened Producer and the show and the correct fonts were now in place and everything worked.

You know it could be that perhaps maybe I just got real lucky. I don't know much about Fonts, I just use whatever I think works. I am by no means a graphic artist or anyother kind of artist for that matter. :lol: It could be that I do not have any of the mentioned problem fonts that folks are not being able to use in Proshow.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:19 am

Since I don't use Vista, I can't really address the disappearing font problem. That's not precisely what was going on with me. Until Photodex informed me that Producer doesn't support various flavors of fonts, I was trying to use the Open Type and Adobe fonts that work just fine in all my other programs. After finding out I'm safest using only .TTF files, I went through my entire collection and tested them to see which showed up in Producer and which didn't. Because I use a font manager, it was easy to then collect these fonts into a single folder and, with the manager, turn them on when using Producer.

When downloading fonts from the internet, look for those with the .TTF extension. A few of the .OTF fonts will work, but not all that many.

Barbara

takitm

Re: ProShow doesn't use all font varieties

Postby takitm » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:36 am

Dear Barbara and others,

(sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker...)
After some years and Proshow version releases behind us, our software still has been suffering from the faulty handling of some OpenType fonts.

My workaround is not a very fancy one, but it does the job: there are font converters able to produce TrueType from the OpenType fonts - and after the conversion Proshow accepts those and uses without trouble.

Here you can find some (unfortunately not free) sotfware: http://www.dafont.com/soft.php#2
These may help, if you have some very much loved fonts, want to be usable in ProShow too.

I hope I could help you some.

Regards (and happy new year),
Taki (from Budapest, Hungary)

Re: ProShow doesn't use all font varieties

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:40 am

Taki, your English is just fine, and your suggestion for converting OpenType fonts is exactly right. I know it works perfectly because I've just recently begun doing it myself.

Thank you for bringing this up. Now what we need is for Photodex to deal with the problem. If other software companies can do it, so can they.

All of you who want to use every font you own, listen to Taki!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Previous

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting