Shopping for a photo printer

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Jenn

Shopping for a photo printer

Postby Jenn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:03 pm

We are beginning to shop for a new photo printer, one that can print high-quality hi-res 8x10 (at least) prints from a card or flash drive, and is a good quality machine. Not sure what our budget is, but we're looking at the new Epson line of all-in-one printers, particularly the RX580 w/scanner for about $180. Without the scanner (which isn't really a requirement, but would be nice), it's about $140.

Can anyone recommend a good, solid photo printer? Most of our prints would be 4x6 but it would be nice to print larger prints on occasion.

Thanks,
Jen

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:24 pm

Don't have any experience with that model but I can say that our office has tried a few multi-function, combo devices like that and had bad experiences with all of them. Too many compromises made to jam the multiple capabilities into the same box. Your mileage may vary.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:14 am

Like Dick I would also not recommend going for an 'all in one'. If one part goes wrong you have to replace all of the others. I believe separates are the way to go, if you have footprint space on your desk. As for Epson it does have some drawbacks, built in print head that cannot be replaced, on the other hand it is cheap, and compatable inks are also very cheap and easy to come by (if you don't mind using compats).

If you intend to use compatable inks (or OEM) check on the price of inks (for any printer) before you buy a printer. Remember that in the printer lifetime the price of inks can be enormous and price difference can be a substantial saving. I have an Epson R220 , Epson inks are about £70 a set, I buy compatables for between £5 and £10 a set.

Brian

Postby marmart » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:38 am

I have the Epson R340 which also prints directly on DVD/CD's. It prints amazing photos. I buy Epson brand ink online at www.atlex.com

Mary

Postby KellyInAz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:30 am

marmart wrote:I have the Epson R340 which also prints directly on DVD/CD's. It prints amazing photos. I buy Epson brand ink online at www.atlex.com

Mary

You can also find Epson brand inks at SAMs Club for a deeper discount. I have the Epson 200 and love the printing capability for DVDs.

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:31 am

While this is not exactly the answer you were looking for, I did go through the same
process a while back and ended up with two answers. I have the Epson R340 that
does great prints (although I don't use it much for that) and prints directly on CD/DVD's
which is what I got it for. For good quality pictures, I found I can't beat just uploading
them to Costco and printing them there 8 * 10 on photo paper is less than $1.50
which is not much more than the cost of one using a "photo quality printer" and
I have not been that impressed with the inkjet printers and the lasting quality of
a "print". I have decided it is cheaper in the long run (and better quality) to just
get my prints made and pick them up next time I get groceries. Might want to
give that some thought.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:19 pm

Thanks everyone.

Mikey, that is not the first time I've seen someone to suggest that... it's something else we will consider.

Jen

sharonwilson

printer

Postby sharonwilson » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:39 pm

hello,
I have not so long ago purchased the Canon Pixma IP6600 photo printer. Truely prints out fantastic photos. I would certainly recomend it to anyone. Plus I liked the idea of being able to purchase individual ink replacements. Just a thought for you.
Regards,
Sharon Wilson

Postby toolman » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:54 am

I have an Epson R800 ($400) with 8 cartridges - 8th is a coating and the inks are 75 year archival inks - BUT - it's so expensive to print with any inkjet that I only use it for for printing on CDs or special prints I need immediately or if my wife wants to print on a special medium. For all the normal prints and sizes I found it much cheaper and better to send them to the websites for either Walgreens or Sams and they print them (4x6 = 19 cents) in 60 minutes for pickup. I can't print for that price. Walgreens is max 5x7 for web upload prints but Sams can print any size. That saves a lot of ink and photo paper. Just an idea
blessings, Ed

Postby nannybear » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi there,
I have always used HP printers and always impressed. They also don't go through ink like crazy either. Mine is an HP5550 right now but there are newer versions. Good luck! Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Return to Odds & Ends