New Advice on a Mac

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

New Advice on a Mac

Postby kabeeo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:35 am

Hi. I've been away for a while. A long while. I had some personal and work issues and then about a year ago my laptop exploded and I just have not been back to it. I'm ready though to get back into it as my photography and Proshow have always been my chief way to relax. So....anyway. I am finally in the market for a laptop and my IT guy at work is pushing me to get a Mac for many reasons and, while I have always resisted, I must say that I am tempted. But what's the point if I can't use Proshow right? I know that there are some workarounds but was hoping to get some recent feedback from people who have tried. I did try to do search on here but haven't seen anything recent, maybe because nothing is new. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Re: New Advice on a Mac

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm not up on the latest, but Proshow is still a windows only product, so the options are to either dual boot the Mac into windows or run something like VMware Fusion (which lets your run a virtual windows machine on the Mac). Either way, you still need to come up with a copy of windows to run. There may be better options, but that is all I am aware of currently.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby kabeeo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:14 am

Thanks Mikey. Unfortunately I figured that would be the response!
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby kabeeo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:39 am

In case anyone else is interested I did post a direct question to Proshow about a Mac program. The official company line is that they have no plans for a Mac release. The response, however, also said "We are aware of a significant demand for a Mac version of Producer and are working hard in that direction." Whatever the heck that means! I assume it means "not in this lifetime" but who knows.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby ronharp » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:50 am

For what it's worth, I purchased a big Imac for my wife a few years ago after a bunch of research and deciding it might be right. Well, then I had to buy Parallels and Windows so she could play the free "Spider Solitaire" game. "Right" All seemed to be well until she had the opportunity to get a "hand-me-down" PC which seemed to be and turned out to be perfect for her. I took over the Mac and added my Windows software and programs and had no problems. It just did not feel as solid to me as I would like so I got rid of Parallels and Windows. Then I reinstalled Windows 7 with the Mac Bootcamp program and have used that since. I am so glad I did. The reboot was just not a problem as I seem to have an extra minute to minute and one half for the reboot. I now have Win 10 and have had no problem with it whatsoever. My windows programs are as solid, if not more solid, than they have ever been. I did lose the use of "Calendar Creator" with the 10 install but just need to find the disk and re-install.

Ron
Ron Harp
27" Imac

It's been so long, I have to relearn everything.

Return to Odds & Ends