Nikon lens (was D80 lens)

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Jenn

Nikon lens (was D80 lens)

Postby Jenn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:49 pm

I'm wondering if the Nikon owners would be willing to share which lens you purchased and what you think of it. I believe I have narrowed down my camera choices to the D80 (even Hubby is researching it now and looking for the best price :shock: ) but I still haven't settled on the lens -- the 18-135 that comes in the kit, or the 18-200 purchased separately. I've read comments and reviews and now I'm looking for comments from my fellow users here.

What I like most in the 18-200 is the VR (vibration reduction) and extra zoom. What I like most about the 18-135 is the price. :D

If you bought the kit lens, does it meet all your photographic needs?

If you bought the 18-200, is it everything you expected?

Any comments, pro or con, about either in your experience?

Thanks,
Jen
Last edited by Jenn on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TweedleDee

Postby TweedleDee » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Browse around here, I think you will get your answer.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/forumdisplay.php?f=108

In my humble opinion, purchasing glass based solely on price is false economy. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

[/url]

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:05 am

Like many things, it depends on what you intend to use the lens for, so without that knowledge, it's hard to proffer relevant advice.

That being said, if it's going to be your only lens, go with the 18-200 (if you can find one...they are still more in demand than supply), since you'll want the extra reach.

I have many thousands invested in good Nikon glass....and am thinking of getting the 18-200 anyway. Primarily for travel, since it would be smaller/lighter/easier than packing multiple other lenses and multiple bodies (one wide, one tele).

You might want to post your inquiry in the Nikkor lens forum on Nikonians
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby 57Corvette » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:54 am

Jen,

I new to the digital photography world .so what I have to say is from a newbie. I have the D80 and waited to get the 18-200 VR lens. It's a great all purpose lens that you can use in almost any situation. I took some shots in the early evening, hand held and they came out great. I had mine ordered where I purchased the camera .... and they said I would have it in time for my vacation .....as I got closer to my vacation time, I started getting nervous that I wouldn't have it in time. So, I just started calling all the camera stores in my area ... found one, Sammy's that had one left. I drove over immediately and purchased it.

I don't think you will find any deals on the D80 or this lens .... too much demand for it. But, you never know ...... let me know what you decide.

Bob
Nikon D80
ProShow Producer
CS3 Extended
Paint Shop Pro xi

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:15 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I've already done some reading at Nikonions and also Nikon Cafe (and both bookmarked for future reference). It seems I can't go wrong with the 18-200.... assuming I can find it. 17th Street Photo had it last week... and now they don't. No doubt it will return quickly and, hopefully, I'll be ready to purchase the camera at the same time.

I'll keep reading and researching but I think I already know what I want. :-)

Thanks again,
Jen

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:05 pm

Be glad you only want the 18-200....I want that AND the 200-400.

Ouch! ;-)
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:28 pm

Hey Andrzej -- if you get the 200-400 and need a place
to store it, just let me know -- be glad to make a space
for it :lol: :lol: :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: Nikon lens (was D80 lens)

Postby marmart » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:48 am

Jenn wrote:I'm wondering if the Nikon owners would be willing to share which lens you purchased and what you think of it. I believe I have narrowed down my camera choices to the D80 (even Hubby is researching it now and looking for the best price :shock: ) but I still haven't settled on the lens -- the 18-135 that comes in the kit, or the 18-200 purchased separately. I've read comments and reviews and now I'm looking for comments from my fellow users here.

What I like most in the 18-200 is the VR (vibration reduction) and extra zoom. What I like most about the 18-135 is the price. :D

If you bought the kit lens, does it meet all your photographic needs?

If you bought the 18-200, is it everything you expected?

Any comments, pro or con, about either in your experience?

Thanks,
Jen

Jen, here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm is a great review from someone that I rely on quite a bit for Camera/lens/photography info.

I love mine!

Mary

Return to Odds & Ends