Forum oddites or questionable behavior

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Honorary ProShow PHD

Forum oddites or questionable behavior

Postby DanDan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:58 am

Hi,
This is mainly curiosity on my part. It has been mentioned several times that sometimes the forum "forgets" you and you have to log in manually. I am familiar with that. It has only happened to me a couple of times. I am curious though, I will be on a topic index page, hand not even on the mouse, and a topic will jump over to page center, as if to say read me, read me. Also at almost any time some topics are in dark blue, not the typical medium blue. Earlier today, when I was browsing, all names were shown in a bold red. I have never seen that before. Also when I clean out temporary internet files, any postings that have not been viewed turn from red to blue as if they had been read. I have seen all of the above on three different computers, so I am guessing that everyone sees this behavior.

Also can anyone guide me on the how to of: Applying a quote if you are responding to a specific question. How about bold or colored text. Those options only show as text, not as they should. Quite sometime ago, I did learn that to use the "Emoticons", it only looks like text until you submit. Everything else though still looks like text after submitting. I see that others use the quote funtion quite a bit, so what's the secret. :lol: .....now see, that I can do!

I know that all of this is insignificant, it's just a puzzlement to me!
_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:53 am

Well, I have not seen your issues -- and the one of being forgotten, seems to
have gone away since I made it a point to go to this forum from a "non active"
web page (my home page is the Comcast one and it has lots of things going
on on it - if I go to another favorite site like the astronomy picture of the day
THEN go to the Proshow forum, I have not had it drop me once in weeks (and
it had been happening sometimes 2 or 3 times a day)).

As far as quoting, I have not seen an issue - you click the "quote" button in
the upper right and it pops you up into a post form with the quoted text.
If you edit that text you need to be careful and not delete any of the tags
that indicate it is a quote "[_quote] [/_quote]" (without the underscore in
front of quote -- it quoted it for me when I did it) - most
tags like that travel in pairs - a starting one and an ending one. The most
common thing I have seen is someone manages to delete one of them
then gets strange looking results.

Actually, see if this works -- the following should indicate a quote if I remember
the tags correctly ...
this is a quote and should show like that

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:13 pm

Dan -- all the font edit stuff won't show up in what you see, just in the text that appears in your post. Like Mikey's example you'll see markers that tell the forum software what to do with the text once you submit it. If you want to see what it will look like use the "preview" button.

Just a little advice tho' -- now that you know how to use it don't do like some people and go crazy with it, sure way to label yourself as a newbie in most circles. :wink:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to Odds & Ends