Playing Your Photodex Hosted Shows From Your Own Web Site

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Bill:

It's possible that the Photodex server had some issues that might have affected the time in which the plug-in took to install. It doesn't sound like a PX file issue at all. Re-uploading your show won't help fix the situation. There is no other way to install the plug-in without having the ProShow software itself, so they're kind of at the mercy of Photodex's servers. Hopefully it was just a case of Photodex's server being a bit bogged down, but it shouldn't be like that forever.

Good luck!

Mike

billharden

Photodex presenter

Postby billharden » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 pm

Ok, that means that when someone selects to download the plugin, it doesn,t come from the show file. You are saying it links back at that moment to Photodex live for the download? So if Photodex is having a bad cyber day, then stuff happens. Ok, I'll buy that. Maybe sunspots or Jupiter being in Scorpio. It does make sense in that all my complaints came within the same time period. Bad day to launch a new website.
Thank you for your time and effort.
Bill

Postby Barbara_K » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:43 pm

Bill,

I don't know if this would work any better but the Presenter plug-in can be downloaded from this Photodex page:
http://www.photodex.com/downloads/go_presenter.html

Maybe if it is downloaded, saved to the hard drive and then installed it would be more likely to work. I'm just guessing but it's worth a try.

Barbara

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Bill:

If the problems occurred when first time visitors were attempting to install the plug-in it was most definitely a Photodex issue. Well, I take that back. It's most likely a Photodex issue, but as I've found at times, sometimes the issue is with the viewer not understanding what is happening and not being patient, or they have an issue like a firewall preventing them from installing the plug-in.

If on the other hand, they have the plug-in installed, but now have problems viewing the shows it could be a few things. If the shows worked previously, it could be Photodex's servers being a bit slow and not streaming the information fast enough to watch without pauses. If they are new shows that aren't playing it could be Photodex, or a problem with the code in your web page.

Lots of things can go wrong, but I've found that if you test things right from the get-go, you'll at least eliminate any issues on your end. Photodex on the other hand is out of your control, but thankfully it seems to be a pretty reliable situation.

Mike

billharden

Something funny going on

Postby billharden » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:37 am

Hi Mike,
All of a sudden my shows are starting out showing playback compete. See www.NorthridgeGardens.net. The same is going on with my other shows. Tech support at Photodex says that the .px file is pointing to Photodex, and not to my website. They claim they have not changed anything on their end, but it seems strange. My shows were working fine until yesterday. Are you experiencing the same issue? Please advise.
Bill

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:00 am

Bill:

Did you make any changes to the shows and re-upload them? If so, the location of the files will be different and you'll have to update your code. Each time you upload a show it will be placed in a different location. They never replace themselves.

Have you tried playing the shows directly from the Sharing page of Photodex's site? If they don't play there it would indicate a problem on Photodex's end. If they play fine, double-check your code to make sure it's pointing to the correct location.

Mike

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:07 am

Bill

I was looking earlier today, and it is showing 'show complete', from your links. As Photodex has stated your .px file points to the Photodex web site. I'm not very good at HTML :oops: but I think the show should be hosted on your site.

Here is the code from your page pointing to Photodex: "ProShow","objectname","http://www.photodex.com/shows/132759_20070708212855.px",640,480

I could be completely wrong, but there is the off chance I'm right.

Brian

Valued Member

Postby Pat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:19 am

I had an issue of shows starting out completed. It seems as if I was using the wrong url on my web page. I had copied it from when my show was playing on the photdex site and I needed to copy it from when the show is before it plays. so, if you copied your info to embed on your own site from photodex, and your show was actually playing at the time, I believe that is your problems go to where you have to click on the menu for the show to start playing and copy that info before you invoke your show.

Hope I have made sense.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:24 am

briancbb wrote:Bill

As Photodex has stated your .px file points to the Photodex web site. I'm not very good at HTML :oops: but I think the show should be hosted on your site.

Brian:

The whole point of this thread is to allow the show to be located at Photodex, but played on your own web site. :D

His code is correct and should have no problems playing, unless the code itself needs to be updated if he's re-uploaded the show to Photodex. Usually if you get the Playback Complete message at the beginning it's because the PX file can't be found. Either it was deleted by accident, or he's deleted it and re-uploaded the show to a new location on Photodex's servers, in which case he'll have to modify his code to point to the correct location.

Mike

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:28 am

Pat wrote:I had an issue of shows starting out completed. It seems as if I was using the wrong url on my web page. I had copied it from when my show was playing on the photdex site and I needed to copy it from when the show is before it plays. so, if you copied your info to embed on your own site from photodex, and your show was actually playing at the time, I believe that is your problems go to where you have to click on the menu for the show to start playing and copy that info before you invoke your show.

Hope I have made sense.

Pat:

It makes sense, but isn't applicable in this situation. Your solution would create a link to Photodex and have the show played within the Photodex environment, which means leaving his web site. The code he is using allows him to upload a show to Photodex, but have it play as if it were on his own site. It will appear as though everything is running from his own server, but in reality, Photodex is hosting the PX file and he doesn't have to worry about storage space. As long as Photodex's servers are up and running it's a nifty little trick.

Mike

Valued Member

Postby Pat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 am

Yes Mike, that is what mine does. It is on the photodex site and played within my own site. I believe it was this bit that got me:

Now, upload your show to the Photodex web site using the "Share Show" function within ProShow Gold. After the show has completely uploaded go to the Photodex web site and go to the "Online Sharing" page. You'll need to login to see the information, but once you do you'll see your show listed. [b][u]Click on it to get to the page on their site that has the show running[/u][/b]. If you then click on "View Page Source" from within your browsers menu options it will then display the html code for the page. Look down near the bottom third of the page for a line that looks like the one below:

<script>PhotodexObject("ProShow","ashow","http://www.photodex.com/shows/59110_20050501185241.html","580","435");</script>

Having the show "running" was what caused my problem.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:51 am

Pat:

I think I might understand what you've said. As for the show running, when I need to get the code for a show I click on the thumbnail for the show I want and it takes me to a new screen where the show will play. Whether the show is running or not, I just click on the View Source option for that page and get the code. I don't think it matters what's actually happening at the moment I view the source. Running or not, the code is the same for the location of the PX file.

Mike

billharden

Something funny going on

Postby billharden » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi all,
Photodex is having a hic-up today. The issues I'm having seem to be on their end. When I visit my collection on the Sharing Photodex site, all the icons are gone, and when I click to view the shows, it loops me into a "Playback Complete," mode. Tech support says that they are working on it. This could be very expensive for me if it gets delayed. I can't believe how my business has evolved around these shows so fast.

This has effect all my shows. I know that if I make changes to a show and upload it, that changes the show number, so that's not what is happening. Check some of your own shows from the sharing at Photodex site. I hope that this is only my problem, but I'm sure (I hope) that they are working on it.
Thanks to all for their input. Please advise.
Bill Harden

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:05 pm

Bill:

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. I just checked my shows and they're working so I count myself as being lucky. I suppose this is the risk we take by having our shows hosted at Photodex. Honestly, though, this is something that I haven't come across in a couple of years of doing things this way.

Hopefully Photodex will get you back up and running soon! Good luck!

Mike

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:01 pm

Thanks Mike for putting me correct.

One of these days I WILL understand HTML :oops:

Brian

PreviousNext

Return to Odds & Ends