Playing Your Photodex Hosted Shows From Your Own Web Site

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
moman

Newby need help.

Postby moman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks for info on playing my show from my web site. I am new to PSP after using PSG for awhile. I am also new to web pages. I get such a small amount of space with my email account your solution will really come in handy. Thanks.

I have a PSG show on the Photodex site and I have used your info to play it from my web site. I want my friends to view my shows in full screen so I have given them instructions on how to do this. Is there a way I can make my show automatically start in full screen mode? Also is there a way I can set the volume to not be so loud?

I hope to convert this PSG to a PSP show soon and I would like to make these adjustments if possible.

Also, what methods do you use to let people know that if they move their cursor to the bottom of the screen they will get a control bar that they can use to pause, adjust sound, etc?

Here's my show:
http://home.nctv.com/mandaw/flowers.html

Thanks
Moman

Re: Playing Your Photodex Hosted Shows From Your Own Web Site

Postby marmart » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey Mike!! I have been putting off doing this as I thought it looked too complicated for a non-techie person
like me, but with your great directions, I put a test show on our web site we have for a summer tennis camp and it worked like a charm! So thank you.

Now a couple of questions? How do I get it centered on the page??? Would that be a frame or something? And do I put that in the code section also?

Also, when someone else, who doesn't have Presenter installed wants to view it, will they still be instructed to download the program?

Thanks again Mike, I know you are in LA right now, but I will await your response!

Mary

Site Admin

Re: Newby need help.

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:27 pm

moman wrote:I want my friends to view my shows in full screen so I have given them instructions on how to do this. Is there a way I can make my show automatically start in full screen mode? Also is there a way I can set the volume to not be so loud? . . . Also, what methods do you use to let people know that if they move their cursor to the bottom of the screen they will get a control bar that they can use to pause, adjust sound, etc?

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to have it play full screen by default. You could designate a higher resolution for playback if you create the PX file yourself and upload it manually to Photodex. By default, Photodex always uses the same resolution settings when you upload from within the software.

The only way to lower the volume is to lower it when creating the show. I'm not aware of any other way to have the default volume be lower than 100%.

I haven't really dealt with the cursor issue since it's a relatively new feature of Presenter. You could always add a small note below the show explaining the menu options available by putting the cursor over the show or by right-clicking.

Glad to hear you got the shows working. Enjoy!

Mike

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm

marmart wrote:Now a couple of questions? How do I get it centered on the page??? Would that be a frame or something? And do I put that in the code section also?

Also, when someone else, who doesn't have Presenter installed wants to view it, will they still be instructed to download the program?

I use a table to insert the Presenter code into. From there I just center the table on the page, or place it where I need it. Nothing terribly fancy or difficult to do.

Since you are still using the Presenter plug-in to view the show anyone that wants to watch will have to install it. If they don't have the plug-in they will be prompted just as if they had gone to the Photodex site to watch it.

Enjoy!

Mike

Postby Lawgirl11 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:48 am

Can you do this if you pay a company that is hosting your site? I m green at this html stuff and was wonder how to paste the code I get to the html code page. From my site it does not let me paste. I hope I am making sense.

Debi1054

Postby Debi1054 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi Mike - I've been using PS Producer for about 3 years now, and used to be active on the forum, but not so much these days... What I want to do is thank you for this post - It works beautifully, and I really appreciate you sharing this info!
Debi

Postby bellzerr » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks for this great code and procedure, Mike. This is especially interesting since Photodex online training said you could not embed a Photodex-hosted show on your own web site. :shock:
For a site promoting commercial Proshow productions, would you recommend the quality of Presenter while risking the loss of visitors who don't want to bother or fear installing a player vs. the near-universal Flash format? Just curious about what others think on this issue... or should I offer links for both and be done with it?
Thanks,
Mark

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm glad this little bit of info is still helping others post their shows on their own sites. Photodex doesn't advertise this procedure, nor did it help find the solution. I had to do quite a bit of tinkering to find out the secret. I'm sure Photodex would prefer that you host your own shows since bandwidth can be expensive, just like they don't explain that uploading a high quality PX file to Photodex is possible via your browser instead of using the default upload option from within the ProShow products. I've had this little tip posted for quite some time now and I know that various people from Photodex frequent this forum often so it hasn't gone unnoticed. I can only assume we're okay for now.

As for using the Presenter option on business sites I think it's best to offer it along with an option to view the show in another format as long as you make a notation that the quality levels aren't as good as the end product you'll be providing. The best quality available is with Presenter. YouTube offers up a nice option as an alternative. It used to be that YouTube shows posted on business sites looked a bit unprofessional or tacky. I think that is changing and is more widely accepted now that the quality is so much better. Flash or other options are still available, but I think it's a struggle to get acceptable quality results from those formats.

Good luck!

Mike

Postby bellzerr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Mike,
Do you have a HD show uploaded that we could view - or know of one someone else has uploaded? I'm testing a new Studio 17 laptop and when I view full screen I see "jaggies" that were not visible on my old Inspiron 15" laptop. The Inspiron had a Nividia graphics card. The Studio card is supposed to be a killer - ATI Radeon 4650. So I was just wondering if it's the resolution of the shows I'm viewing that's at issue.
Mark

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Mark:

Here is one that can be viewed full screen with high quality: Monterey

I'm not sure if this is your issue or not, but if you are uploading your shows directly from the ProShow software you are not going to be seeing very good quality when viewed full screen. The ProShow software uploads a default resolution of 640 x 480. They look great at the Photodex site, but once you select the full screen option you get disappointing results.

The workaround is to create the PX file on your hard drive. When choosing your settings be sure to change the "Rendering" size to match your monitor's settings, in my case 1680 x 1050. After creating the PX file, navigate to your account at Photodex and upload the file from there. When viewing the show you'll then be able to view the full screen option with excellent quality.

Hope that helps!

Mike

Postby bellzerr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Ah, beautiful. THAT's the kind of vivid hi-res image I was expecting to see from this puppy. Thanks very much for the link. It didn't take any time at all for this show to buffer. If I upload in the hi-res format, are viewers likely to experience any additional delays?
Mark

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 pm

bellzerr wrote:If I upload in the hi-res format, are viewers likely to experience any additional delays?

I would expect the shows to load a little slower since the PX files themselves are quite a bit larger. If they have a decent connection it shouldn't be an issue, though.

Postby bellzerr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:30 am

I'm clearly not understanding something about monitors. The show in the HD link above is crystal clear in full screen mode on my Studio 17, but I have two problems with respect to using it with ProShow:
1 - ProShow's LARGE SCREEN slide editor says it requires 1280 x 1024. My new, expensive, hi-res with 1GB big-whoop graphics card offers 1600 x 900. You must be kidding. A 17" monster with HD graphics can't display the larger editting screen in ProShow? What good does the 17 inches do me? Can I swap out the card in this thing?
2. In Photoshop, my 10 megapixel photos often show jaggies in smaller display sizes, but sharpen up when I zoom in on the image - always very clear at 100%. In ProShow however, previewing my shows in full screen mode generally looks horrible. How can this be when my old, half-the-price Inspiron laptop showed beautiful images (by comparison) in ProShow and Photoshop both - NEVER any jaggies.
I bought this thing primarily for ProShow development. Right now, I'm ready to send it back and keep my old 15" Inspiron!
Thanks,
Mark

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 am

bellzerr wrote:In ProShow however, previewing my shows in full screen mode generally looks horrible. How can this be when my old, half-the-price Inspiron laptop showed beautiful images (by comparison) in ProShow and Photoshop both - NEVER any jaggies.

Mark:

Have you set your preferences in Producer on the new laptop to allow for full screen playback? Check the "Playback" preferences and see if you've set your maximum resolution to match your monitor resolution.

To answer your first question, it looks like Photodex set their resolution requirements for the large screen editor based on a 5:4 ratio and didn't take into account that widescreen monitors are becoming the norm. You have plenty of resolution lengthwise, but the 900px height is what's falling short based on Photodex's requirements. It has nothing to do with your monitor, it's Photodex's requirements. I don't know if you can swap out your card as the monitor itself might not be capable of working at a higher resolution.

Postby bellzerr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 am

I never knew that playback resolution was there. Can't wait to get home and try it tonight. Thanks.
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Odds & Ends