Copyrights working for (and against) you.

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Copyrights working for (and against) you.

Postby DickK » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:26 pm

AMD wrote:Of course, if everyone followed the "letter of the law" regarding use of photos, resources, model releases, etc., there would be few shows made and posted, I would think. It certainly gives one "cause to pause" for sure.

Well maybe, but it wouldn't have to be that way. It would however mean folks would have to get more creative about the content -- either find legitimately used content or make it. Just might result in more creative, better shows too.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:42 pm

I hate copyright!!! Of course, if I were the big star on the other end, I'm sure I would feel differently...

What I don't understand about copyright is that when we take a picture of something, we own the copyright...but we don't necessarily own what we photograph, so whoever owns that land with the beautiful tree that we took a picture of in the most perfect sunset...isn't really ours to take a photograph of...do we owe the landowner royalities?
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 am

Ann, I've seen everything you've seen plus a whole lot more. Most of us here on the forum have used copyrighted music for personal shows, and though it's illegal, it hardly causes any harm, and some cases, folks have enjoyed someone else's musical choice enough to go out and buy it. BUT, to use such music in a case like mine or some that you just mentioned? Bah! I'm often appalled by what is either ignorance of the law or, worse, scoffing at it. If someone used one of my products without permission to promote their own products, I'd feel as if I'd been robbed, and rightly so. What's the essential difference between hard work put into composing an original piece of music and hard work put into designing a new suit? Do we all say, "Gee, nice suit! Think I'll just steal it and wear it when I go out to make my next sales pitch."

I find it stunning that so many people place such a low value on the work of artists and such a high value on a new pair of shoes.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:15 am

Patty, you don't owe the landowner royalties; you owe him the courtesy of getting his permission in the form of a release, but that's mostly for recognizable photos of his house.

Without copyright, there'd be precious little music or art or literature. Those who are in the arts have families with physical needs just like our own, and they deserve to be paid for their work just as much as we do.

Copyright is certainly a royal pain when we're in need of that special piece of music. I'll probably not forget being told by the company handling the affairs of Edgar Winter that, for a fee of $1000, I could use "Frankenstein" for a show I wanted to submit to Photodex for one of their contests. Needless to say, I never submitted the show. Right there is our biggest problem with copyright: the cost of getting permission.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby m.c.rude » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:58 pm

Patricia, land does not have any copyright value attached. If you took a picture of a statue, painting, or in some cases architecture you would need the permission of the creator because that work is copyrighted. A tree is a creation of nature and there is no copyright on things as such. I have heard of cases where certain garden layouts were copyrighted, but since our production facility never shoots anywhere without permission; we have not had any issues.

Anywhere you are allowed to be in public you are allowed to take pictures. If the work is copyrighted (such as a statue or painting) then you need the copyright owners permission. In most cases unless there is some large sort of money involved; there is usually no problem in taking pictures of such items. If your pictures never make it out of your photo album, or personal slide shows then you would have no problem. If your pictures aired on CBS then you may have an issue. In general most artists really are flattered by people wanting to take personal pictures; even for a small presentation. It is when there is money to be made and they are not getting a slice of the pie you see the legal papers flying.

I wish I had a better answer, but this is something I leave to our legal department. I will admit I have gotten pretty good about discerning what is and what is not acceptable, but it is mostly intuition and not because I am an expert.

M.C.
MC
the picture or video does not tell you what software or hardware you used; it only tells the story, it will only reveal what the eye sees.

Previous

Return to Odds & Ends