Output for video file

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Output for video file

Postby purpleozzie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:55 am

Hi,

I am a complete newbie to ProShow Gold. I have created a slideshow of wedding images for a photography shoot I did. I want to send the couple the slideshow in a format they can view on their computer/laptop.. So it has to be in a format compatible with both PC and Mac and also work in any screen resolution..

I also want to upload the same slideshow to Vimeo.. I used PG's Vimeo setting and it came out pixelated and blocky.. What are the best settings to achieve the above.. I have no clue about resolutions/ bit-rates etc...

I have searched Google and found help limited..

Cheers

Barney

Re: Output for video file

Postby purpleozzie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:12 am

36 view and no reolies.. anyone???

Re: Output for video file

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:05 am

I suspect that there are so many possible answers, that nobody jumped on it right off the top. I have Producer and am not sure just what the output options from Gold are, however, a couple of comments here. MP4 is probably the best bet for something that works on the PC as well as the MAC. You indicate you want to "send" it to them. That opens a whole bunch of questions - how long is the show, what do you mean by "send" etc. A 10 minute show in 720p as a mp4 file is NOT going to be something you can "send" in the sense you can send it in an email. Video tends to get big fast (mp4 is one of the better compression formats out there these days, but still takes up lots of space). There are tricks you can use to create a file small enough to send via email, but that involves things like lowering the frame rate and using a small resolution output format. Another option to "sending" is to use an exchange site like Dropbox or something where you upload a large file to it and provide a link to the people that want a copy. They can then download the file from that site (Dropbox is free under 2GB last time I checked). As to what you ran into with Vimeo, I am not sure what the issues were - you need to check what settings that you used (last time I uploaded a show to Vimeo, it seemed to work fine). While you maybe a newbie, if you want to work with video, you need to learn what the basic things are to be able to understand what settings you need to modify for the best results. I think Vimeo does the same thing that Youtube does in that they take the file you upload and reprocess for the best compression they can before actually posting it. The closer you can come to what they want for an end result, the more likely you are to get good results. Someone recently had a post about a page they found (I think it was on the Vimeo site) on the best settings to use for good results.

One consideration you might want to investigate - while Proshow is a great way to create slideshows with effects, captions and music, the resulting show is big by the very nature of video. You might want to consider sending them the images all resized down and simply letting them view the images with something like the free Irfanview (one of my favorite utilities) for the PC or the equiv. for the Mac side. In a situation like that, you can resize all the images down to say 1024px on the long side, put your copyright on the image and still have 60 or 80 images fit in under 10 megs or so (which most email can handle). Irfanview has a great batch mode that will do all of that for you in about 20 seconds once you get the template set up. I use it all the time to batch process images I have taken so I can send them to friends.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - General Discussion