2 things please

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
Honorary ProShow PHD

2 things please

Postby Penny47 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:57 pm

My grandson got engaged the other day so I am doing a DVD show for the couple starting when they were both small and going to the engagement. My question is this do I use music they like or do I use something I think would be good for the show. The 2nd part is I know you can sync the music to slides is that the only way one can move the music. What I mean by this is I want the songs to be closer rather than have a gap where there is no music. I hope I am making sense. I have never done a PSG like this before so any advice would be great please.

Thanks in advance Penny

Re: 2 things please

Postby debngar » Mon May 19, 2014 6:28 am

As far as the audoi/music adjustments is concerned, it's helpful to read and become familiar with the manual. The section on music starts at chapter 11. Checking the table of contents can help narrow down what you're looking for within the chapters.

There are several ways to adjust the music besides automatically synching. If using the timeline method, look at page 236 for instance.

http://files.photodex.com/docs/manuals/ProShowGold6.pdf
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby ronharp » Mon May 19, 2014 6:44 am

Hi Penny

Finally, something I can answer. I'm almost entirely a consumer of the info here because I don't get very deep into the program for my purposes.
I would suggest you download a free program called "Audacity". You can trim the excess off of each end of the song so that the next one can play immediately after the preceeding song. You simply load the song, trim each end to where you want and export the song back where you loaded it. Problem solved.
I would also download "MP3Gain". This will allow you to even out the output volume of the music so it is even across the board.

Ron
Ron Harp
27" Imac

It's been so long, I have to relearn everything.

Postby debngar » Mon May 19, 2014 6:58 am

ronharp wrote:Hi Penny

Finally, something I can answer. I'm almost entirely a consumer of the info here because I don't get very deep into the program for my purposes.
I would suggest you download a free program called "Audacity". You can trim the excess off of each end of the song so that the next one can play immediately after the preceeding song. You simply load the song, trim each end to where you want and export the song back where you loaded it. Problem solved.
I would also download "MP3Gain". This will allow you to even out the output volume of the music so it is even across the board.

Ron

Proshow's audio editor can do the same. Using Audacity is another choice, yes.

What also is useful is knowing how to offset the music in the program. Reading and referring to the section of the manual that contains how to do that (and other things) can help the user customize the fit of the music to the slides and avoids redundant posting of information already available.
Last edited by debngar on Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby ronharp » Mon May 19, 2014 7:08 am

I'm never surprised at what pops up with PSP. It's just that I don't/haven't used it much since I downloaded 6. I was fascinated with all the new/not so new things that I keep reading on here that can be done. These are just work arounds that I became aware of when I started a few years ago. No doubt I need to get with the program again. Trying right now to figure out a computer replacement so I can finish a pre-wedding video for this Saturday. No money, no time. lol

Ron
Ron Harp
27" Imac

It's been so long, I have to relearn everything.

Postby debngar » Mon May 19, 2014 7:32 am

The ability to do offsets and trim off pieces from beginning or end of audio has been available in ProShow at least since version 2.6 when I starting using PS Gold in Dec 2005 then upgrading to Producer shortly after that. There are limitations to Gold's features compared to Producer's but this is not one of them.
Debbie

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks for the advice I shall look into them all and hopefully I can come up with what I want and do it. I need to spend more time on PSG and consider getting PSP updated.

Penny

Postby BarbaraC » Tue May 27, 2014 12:19 pm

The single difference between trimming in ProShow and doing it in something like Audacity is that the full piece of music is nevertheless used when the work is done in ProShow, even if you've trimmed everything out of a 5-minute piece except for the first 30 seconds. If done in Audacity, you save a shorter version of the song and that's what's used. Does this make a difference? Only if you have a whopper show and it's looking as if it's likely to be too big to burn to a DVD.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks Barbara, I am still working on this show and will try out everything everyone has suggested I am sure I will get it right in the end. I have not spent much time doing shows of lat but am now getting back in the mood for it. I have the latest version of PSG so do not want to spend money on PSP at this time although I know it most likely is the better of the 2.

Penny

Postby gpsmikey » Tue May 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Barbara's answer is partially correct. If you only use a small portion of a long song for example and do the trimming in the audio editor in Proshow, it has pointers to the start/end of the clip to use. If you are creating an .exe file or .px stream, then the whole audio track is included in the "show" even though you only use a small portion. On the other hand, if you are creation a DVD (video, not a data DVD) or rendering to a different video format (mp4 for example), then only what is withing the pointers is used in the output - it all depends on what the output format is exactly how the entire audio track gets used. If you edit in Audacity to extract just the portion you want, then the .exe and .px files will only include the short segment so there it does make a difference. It all comes down to what is going on behind the curtain :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 28, 2014 3:01 am

gpsmikey wrote:On the other hand, if you are creation a DVD (video, not a data DVD) or rendering to a different video format (mp4 for example), then only what is within the pointers is used in the output.

It's first thing in the morning, and I've already learned my one new thing for the day. How cool is that?

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 28, 2014 6:17 am

I see my fumble fingers got confused - I meant if you are "creating" a DVD, not "creation" a DVD. :evil: Think of it like Photoshop - an exe or .px file is sort of like the PSD file you create in Photoshop with all the layers (and masks etc.) while the rendered output is like the jpg you get when you save your file as a jpg and everything gets flattened. :D

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 28, 2014 6:23 am

Don't blame it on your fingers. :D

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Well, I will be 64 tomorrow ... if I remember correctly :twisted:

mikey

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:25 pm

Happy Birthday Barbara for tomorrow I hope you have a wonderful day. 64 is not old LOL I am 66 this year and am starting to feel my age :-)

Penny

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion