Burning DVD

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Burning DVD

Postby rachel77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:06 pm

We recently got an new computer (Windows 7) and I put my 2011 PS GOld onto it. I am having trouble burning to a "playable" DVD. I have tried burning using the DVD option and Video File (everything on high quality). I locate the saved file and click on burn to the dvd, it does what it suppose to but then it wont play in the dvd player. Options?

Re: Burning DVD

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:37 pm

rachel77 wrote:... I put my 2011 PS GOld onto it.

Can you please tell us the exact version of the program that you are using? You can see this if you go into the program, and then to Help, and then About

How long is the show that you are making?
Because the capacity of a DVD is roughly about 1 hour.

You may wish to try burning your disk through a 3rd party program, instead of through ProShow, using the ISO method.
This is a favorite method of many users in this forum, including me. :D

Postby rachel77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Version 4.5.2949
The slideshow is only about 6 minutes long.... I had issues with the old computer when buring but usually the ISO saved file would burn fine. Since this is a new computer I am not sure why it's not playing on the DVD player? Grr..... Any options I should look at or change?

Postby rachel77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:43 pm

I saved it under "create"-"video file". Then I went into my video files on the computer and it shows it there as an ISO file and I tell the computer to burn that file and it goes through the motions but when put into 2 different dvd players nothing just a message that it's not playable....

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:00 pm

The option to create a video file does not create any iso file. It creates a video file.
So how exactly did you get that iso file?
And, how exactly do you "tell the computer to burn it" ?
Can you please try to be more specific?

Postby rachel77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:31 pm

I click on Create, then I select dvd. I then go to the "Burning tab" and select ISO Image file". THe program then "rendering" for a few minutes and then it's done. I then go into my start menu on my computer and click on Documents, then video's and there is my .ISO file. I have tried putting the disk in first and selected "Burn a dvd" and then select the .ISO file and it goes through a burn process but again wont play on the dvd player. I have also done it another way and gone directly to the .ISO file first, click on it once, selected at the top the "BURN" option and then put in the disk and a few minutes later it says it's done. But no play on dvd player? Can you maybe give me a run down on how you believe I should try?

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:15 pm

I'm really sorry, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
What is the name of the program that you use in order to burn that iso file?
If you are using Windows itself, then that's not the way to do it.

We here in this forum use ImgBurn, which is a free program.
You can download it from here, and install it on your computer.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Im ... 28426215/1
Just pay attention to install only the program itself and nothing else that is being offered during the installation.

If you have another program for burning, such as Nero or something else that supports ISO files, then use that one.

Burn the iso file with that burning program and not with Windows.

Postby rachel77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:30 pm

I actually just got it to work 6 dvd's later..... I used the video file that I originally saved and went to Windows DVD maker program and it did it and it plays!! All the other ways I tried using either the .ISO file or video file and burning it with Cyberlink Power2go or Media Player and which other one on my computer I tried wouldn't work. I am going to try the program you linked in your last comment in the morning and use the .ISO and see if that works too so that I may have 2 options when I need to burn to dvd. Thanks for your time I appreciated your feedback.... :)

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Well, I'm glad that you got it to work, but I think that the burning of a video file as a DVD, with Windows, or similar, will cause a quality loss.
I'm not sure if it's noticeable, because I've never tried that route.

But, just out of curiosity, since you have a new computer, with everything new in it, did you try to make a DVD, and also to burn it straight from ProShow Gold itself ? I mean, without saving it as an iso first.
You might have a pleasant surprise, who knows ?

Postby rachel77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Yes I did try those last two ways you mentioned but wouldn't play..... Trying your 3rd party burn process tomorrow.... Will mention if it works. I also probably need a newer pro show gold program itself. :wink:

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:54 am

One important item - an ISO file is a container (like a zip file) that contains the image of a file system to put on the DVD/CD. If you are not careful, what you end up with is a DVD/CD with a file on it by the name of yourshow.iso - that is NOT what you want. You need to make sure it burned the ISO to the disk as a file system rather than a file. If you put the DVD that won't play in your computer and it shows the filename.iso file on it, that is what happened.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby raydio » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:46 am

GPSmikey is right about the ISO files. Someone else suggested I use ImgBurn to create the DVD rather than the ProShow burn - that helped too.

There are a few other things you may want to try - I got these from Jared on the ProShow HelpDesk and added a few extra comments :

"Insert a blank DVD and cancel any Windows pop-up menu that may appear.
Click the PUBLISH tab on the main program window and select DVD.
Go to the MENU tab.
Uncheck "Thumbnails: Use video thumbnails that loop after ...." (at the lower left hand side).
Go to the SHOWS tab.
Uncheck "Include Intro Show" (right hand side between the two windows.
Go to the BURNING tab.
Look in DVD WRITER field - Verify that your DVD burner is the correct on selected in the program.
Change the speed from MAX to 8X or slower.
Uncheck "Include original photos" (left hand side, half way down).
Uncheck "Enable virtual ISO creation" (right hand side at bottom).
Uncheck "Include additional content" (left hand side, half way down).
Go to the EXECUTABLE tab.
Uncheck "Include PC Executable" feature (top left).

Also - and I had to find this out for myself - your DVD should play by hitting the PLAY or ENTER button on your DVD remote - if it doesn't there's one more thing you should check (you can also select STOP and then PLAY on your DVD remote but you shouldn't have to do that!)
Under MENU tab, look for "Customize Menu", select and then select the LAYERS tab.
Select "Layer Settings" and scroll down to "Action On Click". It could just say "NONE" which was my problem.
Scroll down to "Play A Show"

That last setting is also available under the CAPTIONS tab and CAPTION INTERACTIVITY but I never had any luck with that - it always kicked me right out of the program (time and time again - ProShow says this doesn't happen to them).

Now go to the BURNING tab, check your cutting an NTSC (for North America - Canada included thank you) or PAL for everywhere else in the world.
Check the number of copies you want and then click CREATE. You're on your way - Good Luck.
God takes you just as you are - but He never leaves you that way.

Return to PSG - General Discussion