ProShow Gold to flash drive

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

ProShow Gold to flash drive

Postby Lutheran Ed » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:17 pm

I want to copy a ProShow Gold slideshow to a flash drive and then show the slideshow using a laptop computer and a projector. When I copy my show to the flash drive it appears as a psh file and can only be read in ProShow Gold. I want to show the program at a camera club meeting. I do not know if they have ProShow Gold on their computer. I obviously am doing something wrong. Could someone help me out. The camera club meeting is tomorrow night Dec. 3, 2015. Thank you so very much.

Esteemed Member

Re: ProShow Gold to flash drive

Postby Marie78 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Hello

You have to output your show as a video film or to an exe file to be able to read it on any computer.
Chris Marie

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 pm

The .psh file is simply the instructions for Gold (or Producer) telling it how your show should look - what images, what timing, transitions etc. (in fact, it is a text file you can view in something like notepad if you want). Chris Marie is correct - you need to either create an .exe file which could run on the laptop (assuming it is windows and not a Mac) or a video file. My preference these days is to create an mp4 file. Many of the newer TV's can play an mp4 file direct from a USB flash drive - they have a USB port on the back of the TV - makes it quite handy (I usually render to 720p, mp4). Your options are available under the "Publish" tab.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Lutheran Ed » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:39 pm

Thank you folks for your quick response to my post. I was able to output the slideshow as an executable file and put it on the flash drive. I then plugged the flash drive into my wife's laptop computer and it played great. I have just joined this forum yesterday and I am already super impressed. Thank you again.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 am

Glad it worked for you. A couple of things to keep in mind that affect how things will play - 1) an exe file is basically presenter with an exe wrapper on it - that means that for slides that are complex, (multiple layers, fancy transitions etc.) it takes more processing power when playing - you may see stuttering on a slow computer. 2) you may find it works better if you copy the .exe file to the hard drive on the laptop before you run it - that eliminates trying to run an exe from a slow USB interface. 3) especially with more complex shows (multiple layers and fancy transitions etc.), it is usually better to render to an mp4 or some other format that the computer can play. That takes all the "intermediate rendering" out of the equation when you are playing it (the exe has to do the calculations each time it plays, while a rendered mp4 for example only has to do the fancy rendering once when it creates the final video). You may find that a show in the .exe format for example that plays great on one machine stutters and does other things on a different machine. There is no simple "one answer fits all" unfortunately.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Lutheran Ed » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Thank you Mikey for your all your advice. This particular slide presentation that I'm showing tonight is very basic. No thrills and frills. I will experiment with the mp4 output method that you suggested. Thanks again, Ed.

Postby debngar » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:15 am

I'm glad you got it worked out using Mikey' s advice.
These days, an mp4 is a good option.

I never had good luck with exe file format.
~~~~~~~ Corrected~~~~ (not psh file)
FYI - Show files (. px) can be played/viewed on a laptop if Presenter plug-in is installed.
Last edited by debngar on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Actually, it is the .px show file that can be played with presenter (the .px file contains all the images etc. needed to view the show) while the .psh file (source) is only a text file and needs the associated resources (images, transitions, sound etc.) to be able to work. (the .px file is what gets uploaded to Photodex sharing if you are using their site for that).

mikey

Postby debngar » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Oops... my boo boo. You're absolutely right Mikey. It's been a while since I've used that format to present a show on another computer and now remember about it being a px file, not a .psh file. :oops: :)
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Lutheran Ed » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:48 pm

The presentation worked fine at the camera club meeting. Thank you folks. I was curious as to whether I could play the show from the flash drive directly through my TV. There is a usb port in the side of the TV. The TV recognized that I had a SanDisk device plugged into the TV, but I couldn't get it to play. I seem to have some technical short comings, but at nearly 70 years old, there may not be much hope for me. LOL

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Hey, I'm 65, so you're not that far ahead of me. The secret to getting it to play on the TV from the flash drive is to render the show to an mp4 - the newer TV's will play that. I use the 720p format for my stuff and it looks pretty good. Just copy the mp4 file to the flash drive then plug it into the TV. You use the menu to select the flash drive and it will list the files it recognizes on there.

mikey

Postby Lutheran Ed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:11 am

Thank you Mikey. I found out that I need a licensed plug in to publish to an MP4. So, I purchased the devices plug-in. I got confirmation by e-mail that the plug-in was good to go, but I still get the message that I need the plug in. Do I need to activate the plug-in some how?

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Yes, you need to activate it with the license key they sent (I use Producer which includes mp4 so I forgot about the devices issue) - anyway, here is the info:
http://kb.photodex.com/2258/how-to-inst ... s-plug-in/

mikey

Postby Lutheran Ed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks, Mikey. I got the devices plug-in to work and was able to make an MP4 copy of my show. But, I was not able to get the TV to read the show off of the flash drive. Never tried this before. My Toshiba TV is 3 or 4 years old and I didn't know how to bring up the video file. I will play with it more when I have time. Thanks again for all your help. I'm loving this forum. Unfortunately my relationship with this forum may be a one way street, as I don't know enough about the program or other issues relating to ProShow Gold to be of nay help to others. But, I guess that an old dog like me can still learn something new. I have no problem running DVD's on my system, I just use my BlueRay DVD player. Thanks again. Ed.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:05 pm

On my Samsung, you use the remote to select "input" then you have the options of selecting several things including the flash drive. It should have the information in the users manual for the TV - if the manual has wandered off (like things do around my house), you can usually download a pdf version of the manual you can keep on your computer. I would expect that if the TV has a USB port on it, it can handle video files from the flash drive.

mikey

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion