How to Make DVD Case Insert

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

How to Make DVD Case Insert

Postby Caroleena » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:51 am

Hello, I'm a new member & have used Gold for about 10 years and Producer more recently. I just joined this forum so first wanted to say "hello," and second to also ask the following: I'm trying to present a client with a DVD inside a case, and trying to research how to MAKE THE CASE INSERT. I have not made a DVD for quite a while & used to use Memorex software for the label & cover. I saw there are Avery templates you can now order from Amazon, #8891 and DVD blank cases, but what software do you use to make the actual insert? Also have to make the label. Many thanks! Caroleena

Re: How to Make DVD Case Insert

Postby heckydog » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 pm

Welcome to the forum,

This is a tough question to answer. Because not many people want to make dvd labels and covers at home these days.

If you still have the Memorex software that should still work. But you can also just do a simple layout in most any photo editor. The dimensions for a standard 14mm dvd case are shown on this page: http://www.cd-info.com/packaging/dvd-cases/index.html. A thin case would have a 7mm spine instead of 14mm but the other dimensions would be the same. I'd recommend just buying a pack of glossy flyer paper instead of the Avery labels, but that's just my opinion.

As far as labels for the dvd itself, it has never been recommended that you put a paper label on a dvd/BD since the adhesive can weaken and the high speed of a dvd or bluray disc can rip the label off inside the player/burner. So your best option is to get hub printable dvd's or bluray discs. Here's a link to one option on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-25DPR47PP-R ... lank+discs.

You also need to know that in order to use printable discs, you need a printer that can print onto discs. That adds more expense to the equation.

Joe

Postby Caroleena » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Caroleena wrote:Hello, I'm a new member & have used Gold for about 10 years and Producer more recently. I just joined this forum so first wanted to say "hello," and second to also ask the following: I'm trying to present a client with a DVD inside a case, and trying to research how to MAKE THE CASE INSERT. I have not made a DVD for quite a while & used to use Memorex software for the label & cover. I saw there are Avery templates you can now order from Amazon, #8891 and DVD blank cases, but what software do you use to make the actual insert? Also have to make the label. Many thanks! Caroleena

Thank you Joe, I'm pretty green on using the "reply" option but I'm getting there. That was a lot of useful info. I'm sorry it took me so long to answer, I forgot to check off the "notify" box on my options. I will have to check if my printer prints disks, I think it does. The Memorex software still works but doesn't have the option for the DVD case insert, just the label. You're right about not using the avery option. I don't know why this is so cumbersome. Somewhere on an old photodex blog I think there was a template for one, I'll have to check. Don't wedding and other customers want dvds in cases any more?

Postby ginger » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:25 am

Hi Caroleena,

A lot of people now output their shows to video format (which is better quality than a DVD), and then put them on a flash drive to plug into a TV.

If you want to output to DVD and create a case insert, you can find free templates on the web for a dvd case. You'll just need to have a graphics program that can edit them.

ginger

Postby Mokummer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi Caroleena.

I'm making DVD slideshows on a regular basis for friends and family.
The quality of a slideshow depends entirely on the images taken.
The TV is a great factor as well, the latest models go even further than 4K.
My canon printer has a special tray to print an image on the DVD as well as special software to make a Disc Label or Case Cover.
If you are planning to do this a lot it may we worthwhile to invest in a printer with these capabilities.
It's the memories that count more than Quality!

Good luck! :D

Bill

Return to PSG - General Discussion