Missing files dilemma

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Missing files dilemma

Postby pw2879 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:34 am

Twice I have had missing files when opening my "saved" show!!! I save the show several times while making edits and do a final save when I log out. What is causing my files to go missing? Both times I was unable to retrieve them...they were lost. :cry:

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:51 am

The files aren't gone unless you took separate action to delete them. They're just somewhere that ProShow can't find them. This can happen two common ways

* You moved the show (that's the .PSH file)
* You moved the files (Pictures, sound files, etc) in the show

In both cases you break the link between the PSH file and the show content. If you open the PSH file (it's just text, use Notepad) you can see what PSG is going to do to find the content when you open the show. The directory path to each content file is stored but it's stored relative to the PSH file. That's why moving either the show or the content will break the link.

You indicated you saved the show several times--did you perhaps save the edits somewhere other than where it started? If so, the show was built in one location but saved to another and I suspect that when next opened the links still assume the show was in the old spot.

In any case, you can use the Windows "search" function to confirm that the files are still there and then open the show and use ProShow's locate to point to where they are -- that will reconnect everything.

Hope that helps, if not, let us know!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:20 am

In addition to what Dick said, another "trap door" comes
to mind -- the "missing files" weren't on some sort of
external drive/media or removable media by chance were they ?
You can run into issues there as well.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby pw2879 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:20 am

Dick...thanks so much for your assistance....definitely makes sense now....there is definitely a learning curve with this software, however.....love it, love it, love it!!! thanks again!

Return to PSG - General Discussion