Time lapse question

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Re: Time lapse question

Postby im42n8 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:28 am

Ah.

Well ... when it comes to the timing I don't see how one can add up all of the transition ins + slide times + transition outs and get the whole slideshow timing. It doesn't work! It IS a consideration for slide duration ... but not really one when considering the show as a whole. In that case, one need only consider the transition time and the slide time for the total time. Transition In and Transition out are lumped together as a single entity: transition.

That's why I went into the the long winded explanation. Once it's understood exactly what's going on, the task becomes easier to accomplish. It may be obvious, but for some, the obvious has to be pointed out before it's seen! :) Hindsight is often 20-20.

Knowing/Understanding exactly how the transitioning works, for a time lapse show (if one is using only the transition times to control how viewing of the slides proceeds) we have a case where the images are continually fading into the next one or out of the previous one (a linear progression of fading from one slide to the next when using the crossfade transition). If you want the slide/image to show a bit longer than the transition allows, you skew that transition by adding a small amount of slide time into the mix.

It is a handy trick ... and like you, I never thought to bring it up either.

Dale

bsphoto

Postby bsphoto » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:19 am

Wow, what a great response to this question! I' m the OP. This is a great forum. I have already learned so much as I am new to PSG.
I wanted to be able to document the building of our new house for my children who are spread all over the country. They just go to my website and check in on progress. Here is the link:

http://bsphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/6412598_JLkgR#412519598_SxLuN

Postby debngar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:38 am

I wanted to be able to document the building of our new house for my children who are spread all over the country. They just go to my website and check in on progress.

Bob,

Looks like it worked out really well for you. Thanks for letting us see that!

Debbie
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby bigharold » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 am

I was reading the "time lapse" responses and noticed reference to "the book" and putting the info into personal reference area. Is there a way to pull individual answers off the site and keeping for reference. I tried and only able to move the entire site rather than the single answer
thanks

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:49 am

Is there a way to pull individual answers off the site and keeping for reference.

Select (highlight) the part you want to save, use Ctrl+C to copy it to the Clipboard, open up your word processor or even just Notepad, and use Ctrl+V to insert what you've copied into a new document. Save. Now you've got only that section you want to keep.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby JARHTMD » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:39 pm

debngar wrote:What would be nice is if Producer would give you 3 choices to pick what the show would auto sync to with the music. So you would have a choice of both transition and slide time, or slide time only, or transition time only. Right now, it only syncs music using both transition and slide time. There are no other choices.

Wouldn't you simply add the slide and transition time (for a single slide) as assigned by auto sync and make that either the time for transition (after selecting all), if transition time is your choice, or slide (after selecting all), if slide time is your choice? Granted, that's an extra step, but it's simple enough & accomplishes the task.
Canon EOS 40D, 20D, 60D; Photoshop CS3; PSG 3.2(build 2047)

fithdy

Postby fithdy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:15 pm

i'm trying to do the same thing - i've got 200 photos showing for .2 second, no transition. in the preview window everything plays as it should. then i "create video file" and i can see the movie file rendering, but now it's rotating the photos so the final presentation is all over the place. how can i stop these random rotations? any help greatly appreciated...

DickK wrote:
bsphoto wrote:... want to do a time lapse show of images taken over a period of time and compress them into a fast time lapse version. Lets say I take 200 pics. I want to compress that into a short 1 min movie. Is that possible in PSG, or do I need a different program...

First, welcome aboard!

Sure, no reason you can't do that. Just drop the whole batch onto the timeline. Depending on what you want the video to look like you would set a transition but if you really want 200 images in a minute then use a cut/zero time. With 200 slides in 60 seconds that's really not enough time to see the individual pictures since that's roughly 3 pictures every second! If you want a time-lapse movie, experiment with the time for each image starting with maybe .5 seconds, that's just under 2 minutes and might work. But you can just fiddle with the timing very easily if they're all the same until you get what you want.

One thing to watch out for is that if the images are large and the display time short, the preview may not be able to keep up and may not look exactly like what you'll otherwise see. If that seems to happen, just try making an EXE which is pretty quick and should run smoothly if your PC is typical.

Dick

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:41 pm

Don't know why it happens, but shut down PSG and delete the def.phd and the cpic.opt cache files from where your Photodex program was installed in 'My Programs'. These will be recreated when PSG is reopened and all should be OK.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

fithdy

Postby fithdy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:26 pm

thanx for that! it now works as i want, but i have to delete these two files every time i make a slideshow or the same problem returns. it's getting kind of annoying. don't suppose there's a permanent fix?

briancbb wrote:Don't know why it happens, but shut down PSG and delete the def.phd and the cpic.opt cache files from where your Photodex program was installed in 'My Programs'. These will be recreated when PSG is reopened and all should be OK.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:08 am

I have only known this to happen once in a blue moon. Why it should happen every time I just do not know.

The 'sticky' at the top of this section may help, it does contain the removal of these two files hint, the other that may be of use is a 'reinstall' of the program. That has been of assistance at times.

Maybe an upgrade to 4.0 may do it :D . I have just upgraded Producer to 4.0, it could be free if you purchased in the last year.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Previous

Return to PSG - General Discussion