"Speed Demons" at ProShowThink

Want to share your own personal web site with the other forum members? Post a link here. This section is for personal sites only. Sites promoting slide show businesses are acceptable. Please DO NOT link to sites that you use to sell ProShow styles, templates, etc.

"Speed Demons" at ProShowThink

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:28 am

Ever try to get two PNG layers to move across the screen together? Did they seem to be moving at different speeds, and no matter what you did, one remained in 1st gear while the other moved on to 2nd? It's absolutely demonic. Here's a basic explanation using a simple example with directions for fixing it:

ProShow Speed Demons

As mentioned, it's a simple example, but if you play with your own simple example, you can get a better understanding of what's going on and then maybe learn to remedy it.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: "Speed Demons" at ProShowThink

Postby Oldguy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:19 pm

You are sooooo clever!!!!

Forrest

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:25 pm

You are sooooo clever!!!!

My mother used to say that, too, but I'm not sure she meant it as a compliment. :D

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:10 am

Nice one, Barb.

I also spend a lot of my time trying to get things just so when 99% of those who see it would have been just as pleased with the first version.

It just gives so much inner satisfaction to have beaten it - and you did.

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 am

Tony, the article is a direct result of helping one of my customers create a transition that had an irregularly shaped graphic crossing the screen, a situation where nothing less than precision would work because seeing the next slide before you should was completely unacceptable. Let that shape stray even a fraction, and the whole effect would have been trash even to the untrained eye. I'd never worked out a method I could teach to others until I took the time to document what I was doing while setting things up. You know how you work out a solution to something and then say to yourself, "Oh, I'll remember how to do it," but the next month you have to work it out again? Some of the people here have notebooks where they write everything down. Wish I'd learn from them.

Barbara

Postby Barkingmad » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:14 am

Thank you! :)
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:18 am

Barb

I never trust to memory how I did something that I only do occasionally because I know I'll forget.

I've learned that it saves time in the long run if I keep a typed record of how I did it and where I've got to. I try to log each stage of a project. If I have to pause a project, to do something urgent, I can see where I'd got to. I don't use paper because it can't be searched and can be easily lost/buried. Of course it means you need to keep a reasonable computer filing system.

It also means every 'first time' task takes twice as long because at each stage I do it then write it up. A few months later when I need to do it for a new project I can refer to my notes and edit them if I find I missed something or the note was ambiguous or unclear. It's a drag but it's worth it to me.

I use Win7's Snipping tool to include any screen snippets that I think will be useful - 'An image is worth a thousand words.'

I also log tips and URLs that I come across and think I might need in the future. I have quite a number of THT (Tony's How To) documents in either Word or RTF format on all manner subjects. One of course is "THT - ProShow Tips.rtf" containing stuff I've picked up here and elsewhere. Building my first Drupal website produced a THT that runs to 93 pages of Word.

The job isn't done until the paperwork's complete. Your 'writing down' and sharing how you resolved this problem (plus all the other really useful info on your website) will benefit who knows how many people. Had it remained only in your memory it would only have helped you for as long as you could recall it.

Thanks to you and others for sharing.

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:32 am

You could blame it on Einstein who thought that light was the fastest thing around. Not any more.

Could not figure what your problem was as it appeas to be obvious. What you have explained makes sense and is what I would expect to happen. Its got to do with relative motion.
regards.
pd

Postby anitaemile » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:07 am

Hi Barbara

Looking at your example of moving squares with the same speed I am puzzled about this problem, because I never had to deal with that issue. I assume you were talking about png layers on a transparent background with different dimensions ? If you use the same background transparent ( in this case say a 16x9 inch) on which you place the item, the two items will always travel in synchrony, no matter if you line them up or not, because you're not moving just the item, but the png. If possible I place my png's in the center of a transparent background. The reason being is that with an unlocked x and y zoom , setting the one value to 0 you will be able to "fold" the png without it moving to the right or left or up or down. If I would place a png out of center on a transparent background and then collapse it, it would shift.

Anita

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:14 am

Tony, you're truly dedicated! How do you even find the time to document everything?!

pd -- You couldn't figure out what my problem was because I didn't have one. However, when you first used ProShow and you first encountered what happens to images with different dimensions that are set in motion, did you instantly know what was wrong and how to fix it? Most folks don't, and I imagine they appreciate such explanations.

Anita -- You must have missed the part where I explained about resizing the canvas. As for those 2 squares moving together regardless of where you place them, yes, they will. However, the article was showing how to get them lined up so all you have to do is dump them into a slide and put in the pan settings. As long as you're in an image editor where it's a whole lot easier to position things using guidelines, why fiddle around in ProShow with tiny decimals, testing until it all looks correct?

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:41 am

Some people just don't get it ... literally. Because they don't think about it in a way that's conducive to addressing a "problem." It's not always traveling the same distance that keeps two items aligned ... what's being aligned is also important. So, you need to know how to offset and what you're offsetting. It's the perspective that one holds that determines their understanding of the "problem."

One thing people don't realize when two items are moving together is that it's the CENTER of the LAYER from which all movement is referenced. Knowing that is helpful in understanding how to move the layers edges together. In that case, if you align the edges together so they move across the screen together what you're actually doing is offsetting the center of one layer a constant amount from the other.

If your layer is scaled by "fill frame" (and it's aspect is less than or equal to that of the show), it's width is 100%. That means that half is to the left of the screen center and half is to the right of screen center. If that layer is then zoomed to 40% then it has 20% to the left and to the right of the layer center. It also means that it's the WIDTH. So, the full width is 40 and the ProShow referenced width from layer center is 20.

If both layers are set to FILL FRAME and one is sized to 30% and the other to 40% it means that there's a difference of 10 (40 -30) between the side of one layer and the side of the other (assuming they both had the same pan setting). That means that, when measured from the layer centers, the difference is 5. Adjusting the pan-x of the smaller one by 5 will offset the centers by 5 and will result in one side of both differently sized layers being aligned as they move across the screen.

My 2cents.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 am

Good explanation, Dale. Certainly wouldn't be good for my beginners' articles, but it might be really good for your own blog. I could then add a link in my article to your blog entry. Kind of like, "If you'd like to know more about getting layers moving in sync, read this."

Just what you need--more work, right?

Barbara

Return to Personal Web Sites