YTube's Automated Content ID System Terribly Flawed

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

YTube's Automated Content ID System Terribly Flawed

Postby debngar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 pm

I've posted on this topic before - about YT flagging music. It's been my experience that any time classical music is used in a video, it's 99.999% likely to be immediately flagged regardless of whether a license for the music has been legally purchased to use it in that manner according to the company or artist's Terms Of Use. I dispute the claim right back to YouTube as soon as I get the notice and don't usually have any further trouble.

It doesn't hurt to make sure the artist, publisher and company the license was purchased from is posted in the video's description area. Many companies I buy music from require this now so I just make sure to include this in all my video's going forward when I can.

But lately YouTube apparently has not been backing off even when it's obvious the claim is fraudulent. If only a real person would look at the video and cancel the fraudulent claims. Their ID bots are part of the problem.

This was posted just 7 days ago. Allegedly unjustified claims of copyright infringement on posted YT content is rising. I haven't posted anything to YouTube in a couple of months but wonder when or if anything will be done about this. I occasionally have a video flagged for a claim but always dispute it and provide information on who I bought the music from and that it is a royalty free license or else used in line of the TOU by way of Creative Commons as spelled out by the artist, etc.

See the link below where the person's video was flagged for copyright infringement for the use of the background music in the video. The claim was obviously a fraud because there wasn't any music in the video at all. But the guy still had trouble getting anyone to remove the claim against him. Sheesh! :shock:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... outube.ars
Last edited by debngar on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Re: YTube's Automated Content ID System Terribly Flawed

Postby Aida » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Debngar wrote
But lately YouTube apparently has not been backing off even when it's obvious the claim is fraudulent. If only a real person would look at the video and cancel the fraudulent claims. Their ID bots are part of the problem.

Debbie, it's not just YT being flawed. Something else going on - THIEVERY!!!. :evil: :evil: :evil: There's at least one musician - Kevin MacLeod - who's really upset about the whole thing.

A few months ago he wrote about about his problems with YouTube on his website. In case you haven't seen any of those entries, here's a quote:
Kevin MacLeod wrote
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW ANYONE?
I'm having problems with YouTube.

As it turns out - there are some people out there who are taking music from my site, claiming it as their own, and registering it with rights organizations (of some sort).

The music-matching engines on YouTube are now flagging my content as theirs. Can I contact these people and tell them to stop? Not really - when the messages get sent to users, they do not include contact information.

Has this happened to you? Please send me as much information as you can on the entities that have claimed ownership of my music.
Here's the link:
http://incompetech.com/static/2011/09/d ... w_any.html

And here are a couple of other links, in case you're interested in more details:
*** FALSE CONTENT ID WITH CLASSICAL MUSIC
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free ... sical.html

*** YOU TUBE UPDATE
http://incompetech.com/static/2011/11/y ... pdate.html
-aida
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must
carry it with us or we find it not." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 pm

I guess that's what Kevin gets for being a nice guy. I won't mention any countries, but you can bet that when he pushes the issue the guilty parties will be off in some country where nothing will happen to them and they will continue to do the same thing with no consequences. Unfortunately these days, it seems to be more and more a case of if they don't get caught (or rather convicted) then in their minds, they did nothing wrong. Very sad state. :evil:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:51 am

Go Digital is one of the companies that have been filing fraudulent claims. But there are others as well. If the user doesn't dispute the claim, an ad goes on the video and the scamming company is able to make income off every hit on a video from the ad royalties. At some time I may decide to partner with YT and allow ads on my own videos so I can collect rightful income for my own work, but will never agree to let some other company place some crummy ad on my stuff and get paid for it.

It would be interesting if some investigative reporter in the media would do a story about this. If some attorney would file a class action lawsuit against these frauds, maybe that would make them think twice about doing such things again.
Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:49 pm

This sounds like another sleaze outfit that I am aware of - they don't produce anything. They just buy up various patents for things they can get their hands on and wait for someone to infringe on the patent then go after them with their "legal staff". The only way they make money. They never manufacture or do anything with the patents, just wait for some unsuspecting sucker to infringe then take them for everything they've got. Or maybe they are the mob and simply want "protection money" to keep from blocking you.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby debngar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:29 pm

No, I think they just send out bulk notices hoping people don't bother disputing the flagged video so they can make ad royalties off other people's video. It's quite a racket. How many people here hasthat happened to I wonder?
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm

It would be interesting if some investigative reporter in the media would do a story about this.

That type of reporter is so rare these days as to be nigh on extinct. :D

It would definitely be interesting if an outraged (read: enterprising) lawyer decided to sue YouTube directly. How, I wonder, would Google react? "Aw, gee, Ma, I didn't know I was doing anything wrong."

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 pm

The article I linked to above was shared by someone on G+ in response to a woman who posted a personal video of her child's football game on YouTube made with an iMovie template that has music embedded in it which can't be removed. Her video was flagged for copyrighted content for the embedded music.

I'm not familiar with Apple iMovie TOU since I'm a Window's 7 user. But people seem to be assuming it's OK to post videos online with that content without problems. I think the sample music files included with Windows for instance is not usable for commercial purposes. Can't remember where I happen to read that but seem to recall stumbling on that info a few years ago when I was using XP.

Some of these companies sign up with YT's Content ID system and blindly claim to own copyrights with the excuse they are trying to get the artist paid by way of the ads. I don't buy their claims since that was not declared would happen when the user buys the music and puts it into use. I think it's safe to say that although some claims could be legit, some of the companies are just scamming users, trying to intimidate users to let them put ads on the videos for the ad royalties.
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Debbie and Mikey, there's wisdom in the saying, "Follow the money."

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 pm

That was what I said on the other thread. Besides, if they are trying to "look out for and protect the artists", how come Kevin McLeod is being run over by those folks claiming that his music is theirs ??? As I said before - the more they say "it's not the money" the more it's the money :evil:

mikey

Postby debngar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:03 pm

gpsmikey wrote:That was what I said on the other thread. Besides, if they are trying to "look out for and protect the artists", how come Kevin McLeod is being run over by those folks claiming that his music is theirs ??? As I said before - the more they say "it's not the money" the more it's the money :evil:
mikey

by BarbaraC on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm - there's wisdom in the saying, "Follow the money."

I agree!
Debbie

Return to Odds & Ends