trying to do a slide show of my old scrapbook pages

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

trying to do a slide show of my old scrapbook pages

Postby Catgold » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm

I would like to: 1. have a slide of my original scrapbook page
2. zoom in on each photo/journaling block on the page.
How would I do this in the most efficient way?
I have been struggling for days, so any ideas would be soooo much appreciated. Thanks

Re: trying to do a slide show of my old scrapbook pages

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Probably the easiest way would be to use a decent scanner to scan each page at sufficient resolution to support what ever degree of zoom you expect to do given what media you intend to show it on (SD, HD or just what for the presentation). If the pages can be removed from the scrapbook, that makes it easier to scan. Other options would be to set it up so you could take a picture of each page and do it that way, however, you need to make sure the camera is shooting at right angles to the page and that the page is flat if you do it that way (and you need to make sure the lighting is set up for even light across the page if you want decent results).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Catgold » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks for your reply. I posed my question in an unclear way, sorry. I have photographed the pages and now want to zoom in on each piece of the scrapbook page in ProshowGold. Is there a way to zoom in on each picture on the page?

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:16 am

Yes, it is possible, but it's a bit of work, especially in ProShow Gold.

ProShow Gold allows you only two motions per slide: the Starting Position and the Ending Position.
So, basically you have to build your zooms and pans in several slides, and to use a transition of 0 (zero) time between these slides. This will create the illusion that you are moving on your scrapbook page, although you use multiple slides to achieve this.

What you have to understand is that the motion in each slide needs to start precisely at the exact position that ended the previous slide.

So here is how to go about it:
Slide 1:
Starting Position: Show your entire scrapbook page.
Ending Position: Zoom and pan until you reach the first picture that you want to show
To create the beginning of your next slide: While the Ending Position is selected, press on Copy and choose Copy to Next Slide

Slide 2: The Starting Position is already created because you copied it from the previous slide. All you need to do now is to move your Ending Position to another picture on your scrapbook page
Then press again on Copy to next slide, to create the beginning of your 3rd slide.

This process must continue until you've shown all your pictures on your scrapbook page.
You can play with the duration of each slide, so that the movement is smooth, but the transitions must remain 0 time.

Please let us know if this is the effect that you want to achieve.

Postby Catgold » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:52 am

Wow! Thank you so much. I figured out it would be something like that (after hours and hours of playing with it), but probably would never have figured out the copy and paste thing. You are a lifesaver. Thank you so much!

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:33 am

I'm happy that I could help you.
It's not "copy and paste" as you wrote above, just "Copy to Next Slide" :D
If you have more than one layer in that slide, you should choose "Copy All Layers to Next Slide".

This is a very basic principle in ProShow Gold, and this is how ALL animations are made in this program.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:17 am

If I can elaborate just a bit on the excellent answers Mona gave--her last point is one you (and others who'll have the same question at some point) don't want to miss because there's a really basic principle in this that you'll use with PSG over and over. It's this idea of breaking a motion up into steps, putting each step on a single slide and using 0-time transitions between steps to give a continuous flow.

The most basic, general version is 3 slides:

#1 is the starting image with no motion so the audience sees context
#2 is the motion (zoom in, pan across, move an object into or out of the slide, etc, etc)
#3 is the ending position with the motion complete, like #1 it's static and lets them see the new context

There are a ton of variations on that starting with the fact that #2 can actually be several slides, each with a single motion. That's what you're doing and Mona explained of course. I've done almost exactly what you started to do--show a page with several images and then show each image individually. It was a long series of slides, each one of which started as a copy of the prior one and did something. There are actually many patterns of motion and zoom, but as another simple example, if there were two side-by-side images on the page I'd have:

--start of scene, next 6 slides all have zero-time, no transitions between them--
#1 starting image showing both small
#2 zooms in on the left image
#3 holds the left one so they see it
#4 pans across to the one on the right
#5 holds the right-hand one so they see it
#6 zooms back out to end up like #1
#7 holds that
--transition to next scene--

With PSP the user can collapse all that into one slide with multiple motions inside it, but idea is he same and the end result in this case would look exactly the same. With PSG it's really pretty simple once you've done it a couple times--just visualize it as a series of camera (viewpoint) moves and break that series into a sequence of slides. This is one of those "obvious after you've figured it out and mysterious before" things we all struggle with--if you dug deeply enough you'd find me asking almost the same question some years ago in fact. ;)

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Catgold » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks so much, Dick, for your lesson. I will try it sometimes this weekend. Kinda scares me, but I can see that it would be simple once learned. Cathy

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Yes, what Mona and Dick said is the way to accomplish what you are trying to do. I would still suggest scanning the pages over taking a picture of them because in scanning, you tend to get much better lighting of the page, however, it is possible to get the lighting correct when photographing the page as well (if you do some searching on copying with a camera, you will find many tutorials and information on how best to set it up to get the best results (I used to do it this way long before we had scanners available to us - I used to have a complete darkroom set up and go through hundreds of feet of 35mm film all the time many years ago)). The 3 slide method is the way in Gold to achieve the opening image, zooming in to the final image and the final image (which was the way I did it back in 2004 when I first started with Gold).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:44 pm

I have one last observation here, that is primarily addressed to Dick.

I have been using ProShow for a rather long time. At the beginning, just like everybody else in this forum, I was convinced of the same thing that you just described above. That you must hold an image for a bit, so that the viewer can see it. By "hold" I take it that you mean, that there is no motion, and the image stands still - in Gold, this means that you have a slide where the start and the end are identical.

I don't remember exactly when, but my view on this has changed.
The show looks much more professional, and pleasing to the eye, when there is motion all the time.
Even if the motion is just very, very small - maybe a bit to the right, or a bit up, or a small zoom, for example,from 80% to 85%.
Dick, you should try this, and see what I mean.
It is of course more difficult to work in this way, than to have all those stops, but, I think that it's worth the effort.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:51 pm

I disagree with both of you in the realm of motion because sometimes you want motion throughout and sometimes you don't. The reason for the show and its photos dictates how effects are handled. If the "idea" is more important than the individual photos such as children playing in the summertime, then motion throughout is likely called for, but if the photos and who's in them is of utmost importance such as you find in a memorial show, then pauses for contemplation are in order. There can't be a should or shouldn't.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:23 pm

I tend to agree with Barbara. I use temporary stops in motion sometimes, and sometimes I use a "constant" motion. What my tempo, theme, or "feeling" is for the show will determine whether I "hold" the motion (and for how long) or whether I don't. Like Barbara said, it's the idea behind what you're presenting ... or the content type being shown that will often determine what might work best for the show.

I think the general rule is that there should be a slight hold in motion if there's a change in direction (or position) or change in size (this may also hold for changes in rotation/tilt). But, like all general rules, it's made to be broken -- it's not a hard and fast rule. But, it helps to experience the general rule first so that you get a feel for what it does for you. That way, you will get a better feel for when NOT to use it.

Content, theme, tempo ... danged stuff like that has a definite impact upon how you end up presenting your material. But, you've gotta start somewhere. Getting the basics down as given by Dick is often a sure fire way to understanding the nuances as presented by Mona and Barbara.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 pm

I agree and disagree with all of you -- so there :lol:

Actually, I'm with you guys, too, I don't always have the frozen version but it's there most of the time. Like you're saying, it depends on the circumstances of the specific images and the show. But more often than not I do use a static version in there--and personally, I think it's better to explain this using the static slide in the sequence. Someone coming into ProShow new may understand what's happening better with it there and in the past, this kind of question has really been about setting up the look-move-look pattern anyway, so I always explain it that way. Once they've seen that and gotten comfortable with it then the multiple slides with motion (and no stops in there) is an easier variant most seem to get the hang of quickly--at least I did.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Barbara, Dale,
I think that you misunderstood my words.
I said "small motion".
You can definitely "contemplate a picture" even if it slowly zooms in for 3 seconds, or if it pans to the right a bit, or if it rotates 5 degrees.
What I meant was that instead of the "hold" still (static) for 3 seconds, add some very slow motion.

Not all motions are alike. If a picture tilts from 90 degrees vertical to 0 tilt, or comes from the left of the screen to the center of the screen, that's considered motion.
If a picture slowly zooms in from 90% to 95%, that's also considered motion.

So, I really don't see why the subject of the show has any importance.
It wasn't a rule of "should or should not do". It was a tip (or trick) that I offered.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 am

The show looks much more professional, and pleasing to the eye, when there is motion all the time.

One can't help but interpret this as the offering of a rule. By saying the show is "much more professionial" with motion, it leads to the flip side: Without constant motion, whether big or small, it's unprofessional.

Meaningless personal viewpoint: I dislike seeing a photo with large motion, never stopping. Because the eyes can never completely focus on the image, it says that the person thinks little of the photo itself, that it's not worth seeing or is deeply flawed. Small amounts of motion such as bits of zoom when used throughout a show become like an irritating metronome: Change photo, zoom, change photo, zoom, change... It's possible I'm overly sensitive to it because I can't watch a show without always considering how it was constructed. Kind of drains the joy from it. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Next

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks