Can't match backgrounds . . .

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Can't match backgrounds . . .

Postby hcajones » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:31 pm

I have a three-part caption that I'm carrying forward from one slide to the next with no transition in between. I've matched the captions, so the caption movement in the second slide picks up perfectly from the first slide. But I can't make the backgrounds match. I'm applying a pre-selected plasma gradient background to both slides. In still preview mode, the backgrounds look identical. But if I play the show, the background colors in the second slide change, creating a "jump" sensation I don't want. I've brought up the backgrounds on both slides and clicked on "edit" to see what the settings are, and the settings are identical for both. Nevertheless, the two backgrounds are not the same. Any suggestions would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can't match backgrounds . . .

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Sorry, but it's not clear to me.
Do you want to change the gradient inside the caption? (the texture ?), or do you want to change the gradient used as background for the slide itself?

If it's the slide background, as I'm guessing that it's what you mean, then do this:
Slide Options > Background > Custom Background >
Right Click on the word "Gradient".
From the menu that opens choose "Copy Background Type to Other Slides"
This will open a rather extensive menu dedicated to copying settings.
First put a check mark on the slide to where you want to copy the gradient.
Then, go to "Background" and put a check mark on everything that is relevant: Default Background, Background Type, Color, Gradient.

If it's the caption gradient that you want to change, you have a similar option in Caption Settings > Use Texture on Caption > Gradient

Postby hcajones » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Yes - working on the slide background, not the caption background. I'm probably going to feel pretty silly at the end of this, but when I go through the steps you suggest (thank you!), I get to Background in slide options, but I see no "Custom Background" anywhere that I could click on. There is a click-through for "Edit Show Background," but clicking there doesn't take me to any "Copy Background to Other Types of Slide" option. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious. Sorry.

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm

First of all, there is no need to feel silly at all :-)

I just noticed that there are two parallel menus. I see now where you are.
In your case, there is no check mark on "Gradient", right? You just went ahead and edited the background, in "Edit Show Background".
It's simpler if you work with the Gradient right from the start.
So put a check mark on Gradient, and follow my directions above.

But to be quite honest with you, I never ever use this method.
I never change the show background. I keep the black default one all the time.
I usually add a gradient layer in my slide, and drag it to the bottom of all the other layers. Being the last, it will serve as background automatically.
Then you can copy this layer to whatever slide you wish, as many times that you wish.
Much simpler, and quicker :-)

Postby hcajones » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm

If I add a check mark next to "Gradient" then I don't see where to go to change the gradient except to click on "edit" right next to "Gradient." If I do that, I can then edit the gradient, but I see nothing like "Copy Background to Other Slides," with the result that when I do an identical gradient slide edit for two slides and then match the slides, the gradients don't match. I fear that I'm just not seeing something that's right in front of me, but whatever the reason, I'm stalemated. Thanks for your continuing help.

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:18 pm

After you edited the gradient, and left that menu, right click on the word "Gradient" again.

Postby hcajones » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Yes! Thank you so much. You are very kind.

Postby hcajones » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 pm

But here's the funny thing, now: When I play the show, the gradient backgrounds are identical. Exactly what I needed. But when I look at the show in Slide List or Timeline, the background gradients are 180 degrees flipped horizontally. The right side of slide 1 is the left side of slide 2. A complete mystery to me. But, this doesn't matter, because, thanks to you, I can now get the result I need.

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Glad you solved the problem.

Yes, the timeline has some problems with refreshing .
Everything will look right again when you move away from those slides, do something else, and then come back to them.

hcajones wrote:...gradients are 180 degrees flipped horizontally. The right side of slide 1 is the left side of slide 2. A complete mystery to me.

I guess that somewhere along the line, during your many tries with that gradient, you clicked on "reverse" gradient.

Postby hcajones » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Well, during my numerous efforts to try to get the backgrounds to match on the two slides, I did check and uncheck the "reverse gradient" option to see if that might help with the mis-match. It didn't. By the time I asked for help, however, I had completely removed and reinstalled the background on both slides for a "fresh start." But there is a new development, having I think to do with your "refresh" observation. When I opened the show just now, the background slides look identical on both slides in "Slide List" view. Earlier, the backgrounds were reversed between the two slides. So a combination of your guidance about how to apply a background to other slides, and being patient about refreshing, seems to be the solution. Thanks again!

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting