Owners

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Owners

Postby harpo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Are the owners of Photodex the same people who own Photopia?

Re: Owners

Postby furilla » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:48 am

Postby VidQueen » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi Harpo,

No, they are not. They are some of the original Software Developers (the worker bees), but not the owners.

Jennifer

Postby PhotoMill » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 pm

I challenge the small minds of those who do not want to support the efforts being made by some of the former Photodex guru's who are working day and night to bring an enhanced version of the former Photodex to the liking of everyone.

When you bought your last tank of gas for your car, did you expect it to run forever on that last gas purchase ? Or, did/do you realize that the next week of driving would have a cost factor involved via more gas purchases. You get a paycheck every week. Those putting Photopia together have to eat, heat, pay taxes, and refill the gas tank the same as you. Everything comes at a cost and there is no escaping that. They are trying to make their work the very best available to those who formerly wanted that very same best from Photodex.

Trust me, they are working their butt's off to get it right !!!

Nuff said...
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby mrdcambs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:01 am

I for one somewhat resent being accused of having a "small mind" just because I don't intend to join the stampede to find an alternative to PSP. Following your car/gas analogy, I would regard PSP itself as the car and my use of it week by week as the gas (petrol here in the UK!). As long as PSP continues to provide me with all the slideshow facilities I require I am going to keep it. I am not a professional slideshow creator, but I do many for family and friends, of holidays, and I have also done over 15 weddings. I have asked as many recipients of those slideshows as I have been able to contact is there anything they like/dislike about the shows. It is interesting, and an eye opener, to hear that all the bells and whistles that PSP offers sometimes spoil the shows! The majority verdict seems to be that they want to see the photographs and videos, maybe with a few simple effects, but clarity of view is the Number 1 requirement. The zooming, pinwheels and other effects are ok in small doses!
So what I'm trying to get across is that PSP, for me at least, provides more than enough creative facilities and so I shall continue to use it. We have been told that we can do this for the foreseeable future so unless there is something that PSP does not provide for you (and your slideshow recipients!), why the rush to move away?

Regards - Mike in the UK

Postby VidQueen » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:06 am

mrdcambs and PhotoMill....You are both right :)

I have seen comments likening the Photopia pricing to crazy conspiracy theories about greed, one of which even included me as the program developer in a wild attempt to overthrow Photodex (that one made me giggle). As a creative designer, I am often asked to give my products away for free and when I remind them that this is my only job, this is how I pay my mortgage and feed my family, they tend to get offended. It's odd that we rarely ask other technical professions to work for free or at a cost that someone else determines, but creative individuals get asked this all the time. So....PhotoMill's comments are pretty spot on.

But, so are mrdcambs. I have told several customers of mine NOT to move on to Photopia, at least not yet. If they are on a fixed income and only do a couple of shows a year, ProShow will continue working just fine for them. Most of them are comfortable with how ProShow works and aren't really in a "head space" to learn an entirely new program right now. There is no reason for a casual user with limited funds to move to Photopia right now. It just doesn't make sense in their situation. Until.....ProShow stops working for them and they can't get support to fix it, or they just want to use something better for a specific show they're working on.

So, as I babble away, this is just a gentle reminder that not all ProShow users need to move to Photopia and not all Subscription Based companies are doing it for greedy reasons (none of them are, that I'm aware of.)

Jennifer

Return to Odds & Ends