Make Your Own Candle "Flame" Video Clip

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Make Your Own Candle "Flame" Video Clip

Postby debngar » Fri May 23, 2008 5:08 pm

I have been asked by a number of people if I would share with them my flame video that I used on the candle on top of the birthday cake that appears in this show:

"The Year That Was" - 3:09 min
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 1064&alb=0

Rather than do that, I'll share with you how to make one yourself. I didn't purchase the flame clip. I figured out how to make one with my old Canon A95 point & shoot camera which has a video mode to capture short video clips. By making one for your own use, you can avoid dealing with copyright issues.

Here are some tips...

1. Use a tripod.

2. Adjust camera settings to shoot video with the best resolution possible.

3. Set the camera either on macro focus or manual focus setting and find the best image in the screen you can get. Otherwise, it will come out like a big white shapeless blob.

4. Use a black background and set it a ways behind the flame. I used black foam core board behind my skinny candle.

5. Trim the top of the candle so it tapers toward the wick. Shoot so you can only see the flame, no candle.

6. Leave a nice length on the wick - not so much so it smokes but you want at least 1/2 inch I would say.

7. Have a nice piece of cardboard handy to create an occasional VERY GENTLE side breeze.

8. Start the video clip shooting while the candle is still and end shooting while it's still. This will allow decent looping if you need that later. Shoot 4 or 5 samples 10-20 seconds each so you have some to choose from.

9. Mine was about 20 seconds. But 12 is good, probably better if you can swing that - less in file size etc. But you can edit it. Watch for stillness of the flame and cut it there.

10. Download the avi off your flash card to get it into your PC. I have used both Roxio and also Photoshop Elements. Then import the clip into Windows Movie Maker for editing etc.

11. Mute the audio when editing in Windows Movie Maker. If you don't mute it, you will get background noise. Clip>Audio>Mute

12. Finish editing and give your video a name via Movie Maker, save as NTSC file and then insert it into your show.

13. Play with the chroma-key feature in Producer to remove the background and ugly blue line (Key Color Black, Intensity Threshold 33%, Intensity Drop Off 20%) and set opacity to 85% so it doesn't look so cartoon-ish when layered on the top of a candle.

Have fun and hope that works for you!

Debbie
Last edited by debngar on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Make Your Own Candle "Flame"

Postby mrkitzel » Fri May 23, 2008 7:59 pm

Debbie,

Thanks for the tip. Clear and well explained.

Steve.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 24, 2008 3:06 am

Excellent instructions, Debbie. My own camera doesn't have a video mode, and this might be true of others here with SLR's, but everyone knows someone who has a camera capable of this--a friend, a relative, whatever--so it shouldn't be very difficult to capture a candle flame.

Something I discovered when deeply involved in photographing smoke is that nothing more than the slightest puff of air will disturb both smoke and flame. It might be easier to just blow a small puff of air at the flame since there are those of us, me for instance, who find cardboard a wild and uncontrollable monster.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Sat May 24, 2008 4:46 am

It might be easier to just blow a small puff of air at the flame since there are those of us, me for instance, who find cardboard a wild and uncontrollable monster.

I tried that too at first and decided that I preferred using something larger to gently fan the air from the side to create the larger area of breeze instead and also so I could observe the resulting flame action in the camera screen as it was recording. If the breeze comes from the front, the resulting flame action was not as desirable to me as compared to coming from the side.

Whatever works to get the desired flame movement is fine. It's easy to overdo the air. I think I fanned from at least 3 feet away or so.

Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 24, 2008 6:32 am

There's the difference. I use a cable release for my shudder, so I don't have to be looking through the lens. That said, you're talking flame, and I'm talking smoke, which I'll bet makes a huge difference. Smoke has a special kind of movement that is extremely sensitive to the least bit of air disturbance. I'd probably end up with a piece of cardboard too.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sat May 24, 2008 7:01 am

I remember your wonderfully intriguing smoke images. I was referring to the process I used to create a video clip of the flame movement and was not taking still images with that camera. Guess I wasn't clear on that and so I've edited the subject title in the original post to reflect that information.

Debbie

Re: Make Your Own Candle "Flame" Video Clip

Postby sheldonk » Thu May 29, 2008 9:54 am

Debbie,

Great info!!!

Thanks alot!

Sheldon

Postby nannybear » Thu May 29, 2008 9:58 am

Awesome instructions. I had tried doing the candle thing with a "blue screen" but it just didn't work as well so I went to black as well. Thanks for sharing Debbie! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby jeanc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks for the tip! I need to try it now.

Smiles,
Jean
Jean

Postby debngar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:40 pm

You're welcome.

Now get out there and show us your home made clips!!! :D

Debbie

Postby Bighousedaddy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:08 pm

Debbie, your video titled "The Year That Was" is fantastic. It was one of the rare videos I've watched all the way to the end. You can't see it but I'm applauding you... I'm clapping.

Ken
Love and Peace
Kenn aka Bighousedaddy <><

Postby debngar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:19 pm

Thanks Ken...

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Ken, all of Debbie's work is worth watching from beginning to the end.

Barbara

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks