Future of Proshow

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Future of Proshow

Postby harpo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi All,

I have emailed Photodex and asked they make a general statement to Enthusiasts Forum as to what the future holds, so we can all move on.

John

Re: Future of Proshow

Postby bob walden » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:16 am

Hope you receive a reply. Nothing in 9 for me so was/am waiting for 10. Can't understand why the company isn't being sold if having problems. Viable product, should be of interest to someone.

Postby Jeep » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:08 am

The problem is not so easy.
ProShow has been developped with a in-house language created by a programmer who is no longer part of the company.

Other problem : who wants today invest in a product like ProShow considering a fierce competition if he can't update it easily and fastly.

The only solution is owned by Photodex itself. Will it be possible to rebuild a development team ? With what money ? Nobody among the executives of the company has decided to give a few cents to maintain the development. The number 2 of Photodex (and other staff members) have posted job applications (For exemple : https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-eddy/)
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby heckydog » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Jeep wrote:The problem is not so easy.
ProShow has been developped with a in-house language created by a programmer who is no longer part of the company.

I often wondered why Photodex chose to implement some things the way they did. Modifiers, co-ordinates, tilt, and so on. Is it because this one guy was the driving force behind how the program was updated? Sadly, if that's the case I'd say ProShow is pretty much doomed as far as anyone wanting to buy them out and keep the program alive.

Joe

Postby Jeep » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 am

Hi Joe

You preach a convinced guy. I think that the choice of the new functions was not dictated by that of the users. Users wanted simple things: a 64-bit version, better processed audio, a more visual timeline....
Instead we had modifiers never documented, imprecise rotation functions, an interface remained rustic.
Yes, Proshow is an excellent program but it could have become even better with a different orientation of the future and a better consideration of users' wishes.
Jean-Pierre
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:12 am

Heckydog and Jeep, you have never both spoke a truer word!
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:02 pm

The future of ProShow isn't for tomorrow but, perhaps a technician coder with a good team …….. I Wonder…. quetzal

Postby Magmatic » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm

I have been away from this forum for some time. Coming back, I read of all the changes. I read that some long time posters here are gone, and that saddens me. I wonder what happened. I read speculation on the demise of Photodex, and that is dismaying. And scary. I have no way to find out what is really going on. Photodex is a private company, so unless you have connections, you aren't going to find out much.

But in order for a company to stay in business it has to have revenue. I have not done my part in that regard. I hadn't upgraded for several years...until this week.

I met several of the Photodex people at the conference in 2010. A very impressive company. But that was a long time ago. It is sad they seem to have fallen on harder times. I wish and hope for the best.
David Shuford

Postby bobradarbob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:51 pm

Jason Wesbecher and Chris Carsen are both living in the Austin neighborhood and in the right business to show interest. I wonder if they have had any conversations with Photodex owner(s)?? They both have LinkedIn entries that lists their credentials. Heck, they may have already participated in discussions but all parties remain MILES apart on the "value" of the deal, so...... there you go!

We live in hope,
Bob

Postby Jeep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:33 am

Photodex has moved. They are no longer in Austin; Here are infos read on manta.com website

Photodex Corporation
925 Westbank Drive
West Lake Hills, TX 78746
Phone: Show Number
Web: www.photodex.com

Photodex Corporation is a privately held company in West Lake Hills, TX and is a Branch business.

Categorized under Computer Services. Our records show it was established in 2011 and incorporated in Texas. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 120000 and employs a staff of approximately 2.
Jean-Pierre

My blog

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:40 pm

Merci Jean-Pierre (Jeep) pour les informations. C'est vrai que depuis leur 30eme anniversaire en décembre 2017, il n'y a plus rien. quetzal

If not Proshow, then . . .

Postby hcajones » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm

I hope that ProShow will be saved as a company, because as a pretty non-technical person, I find it to be relatively easy to use and most often I like the results. There are constant frustrations about this and that, of course. It does often seem that they aren't paying attention to some basics. (But don't we all have the same kinds of complaints about, say, Windows?)

But here is my question: if ProShow folds, what show-creating software will others (more knowledgable than I am) turn to? I used WonderShare for a while years ago, but it is (or then was) pretty poor compared to ProShow.

Thoughts or suggestions? If ProShow disappears, it's likely to happen suddenly and without warning, so I'd like to start looking at alternatives now.

Thank you.

Postby jojo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Maybe Magix PhogtoStory?

If not Proshow, then

Postby mrdcambs » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 am

If Photodex does indeed disappear, does PSP then stop working or will we able to carry on using it but without the prospect of any further upgrades? I, for one, am a "hobbyist" User who has upgraded every version since I started in 2007, but cannot envisage any further improvements that I couldn't live without (with perhaps the only exception being a 64 bit version). If I cannot use PSP in its latest version if Photodex disappears, then I will start to look around for a replacement; but if Version 9.0.3797 will still work I would be happy to stay with it.

Mike - UK

Postby cherub » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 am

By my understanding, ProShow in its latest version will continue to work. So will the the effects (FX) and the Music Library. :D
You may even wish to install it on a new computer, and you will still be able to activate it.

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion