Future of Proshow - Part 2 - A love letter

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Re: Future of Proshow - Part 2 - A love letter

Postby Jeep » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:40 am

An announcement should be made by Photodex on Monday or Tuesday (14 or 15 october) about their commercial situation before the shut down at the end of november.
The website should be closed before the announcement so if you have infos or things to download (registrations, extras, ...), do it before !!

To Murray's Dad
I think you were very naive to the point of thinking that Photodex could survive after more than 18 months of inactivity without any news from them. Software that does not evolve is dead software like the company that publishes it. We may think that the main reason for Photodex failure is hacking, ProShow being one of the most hacked software.

See you later as ProShow still works on our computers.
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby ellersiek » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks to Jean-Pierre for the (disappointing) update about the current state.
I downloaded all my effects, styles, transitions, software and registrations (12 files in 10 years) in the hope, that these downloads will work when I need them.

Postby folkroots » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:46 am

Hi everybody. I just checked The Photodex website and there is no indication that they are out of business. It looks like you can still buy their products. What is going on? Has there been an official announcement? I also re-downloaded my version of producer and evey slide style pack that i puchased from them along with serial numbers for backup purposes. I loved eveything about this company but i am not impressed with the way they seem to be handling their going out of business.

Keith

Postby folkroots » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:23 am

Hello again. I just did a clean install of windos 10 and insalled my recent download of Producer. When i insalled the registration key and activated it i noticed that it had to connect to the internet to activate. i presume it is connecting to photodex for this. What happens when Photodex is gone and you have to re-install it for some reason? How will it activate? Like i mentioned in another post, it seems like you can still buy their products without any mention that they are almost out of business. The only clue that I saw on their site was that they are not accepting any more subscriptions for Proshow Web.

Have a nice day!

Keith

Postby Jeep » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:57 am

Hi Keith

Do you really believe that a software company which doesn't create any new release in the last 18 months is still alive ?

The main developers of Photodex have turned their job towards Photopia Director and Creator, there is, for now, nobody remaining in Photodex. The website is still open in order to have a few revenue, the licences numbers being automatically calculated. The website will close soon, it should be the last days.
The blog pages have yet disappeared and you cannot contact Photodex by phone since several weeks.
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby Jeep » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:52 am

Here is the confirmation of Photodex ending on Dec, 31 2019

http://web.photodex.com/
Jean-Pierre

My blog

Postby folkroots » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:55 am

Hi Jeep. Thanks for your response. I new that they were closing. I was questioning the manner in which they are doing it. If it wasn't for this forum and Jennifer Clarke I would never have known. The link you provided is mainly about proshow Web. From their main website there is no mention of them closing. So, go ahead and spend the money for producer or gold and a month from now if you need to install it again you are out of luck. Maybe I am wrong about this but I believe that Photdex services online needs to validate your copy of the program. Its the comunication with their customers thats the problem. The notice that you linked to should be front and center on their website. Thanks again Jeep.

Have a nice day!

Keith

Postby Jeep » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:58 am

Their information is also about the desktop software, read until the end of the page :

Customer Service and Support
Customer service will continue to be available via email until December 31, 2019. If you have questions, please contact us before that date.

Desktop Software
Photodex ended development of ProShow Gold and ProShow Producer in 2018. These products are currently still available for download. Support for these products will be ending soon, and we'll announce those details soon. Existing users of ProShow Gold and Producer will be able to continue using those products indefinitely, although support for online-enabled services will be ending.

If you're looking for a great replacement solution for creating slideshows on your desktop, we recommend Photopia.
Jean-Pierre

My blog

Postby OneDollarEarned » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:52 pm

Awesome love letter. I've been a user of Photodex products since March/2004 so it's been almost 16 years and I'm disappointed that Photodex is folding. I've purchased every software product they've offered since 2004. Whenever there is a new product or an upgrade I was reaching for the credit card to place an online order. I am looking for an alternative and have purchased a subscription of photopia Director simply because it was recommended by Photodex and my initial exploration into the product is not favorable but granted I'm comparing it to one of the best software programs I've worked with over the years.

Previous

Return to PSP - General Discussion